• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How to go about changing dentists?

Keptin Kirk

Keptin Kirk

Hi.

So I go to two different dentists currently. My normal who's down the road and my local hospital for work on my partial denture and other things.

I have been getting on with my normal dentist for a while and he knows about my anxiety around dentists. (which in recent years has been getting a lot better)

But recently things have changed.

1. He's started to yell at me for no reason. Last time I went to see him he yelled at me for not wearing my dentures when I told him I couldn't put it in because I have a abscess on my gum on my front tooth which makes it impossible for me to put the little plastic thing over it. So I'm waiting for the extraction to get my new partial put in. (The hospital is doing the extraction because I'm nervous and there's a sedation clinic there)

2. He keeps saying I'm wrong or I'm making something up.

3. I came to him recently because my jaw was swollen and he immediately said the back tooth needed removing but yesterday the hospital dentist said the swelling was caused by my wisdoms coming though and that the back tooth is fine and healthy and doesn't need removing.

4. I had an inkling it was my wisdoms coming though because I haven't had them yet and it's the right time for them to come in. My dentist was saying I was wrong again and kept forcing me to agree to yet another extraction.

5. When I go down there, he doesn't really do anything and just puts this brown stuff on my teeth? That's literally it.

6. I've noticed my anxiety goes up again when I sit in the chair and I've not felt this type of panic in literal years so I really don't want that back because I've done so well in the past.

So my question is, how do you change dentists? Do I go to the desk and say "I want to change dentists?" I really don't know how to do it.

Also is there any anxiety clinics in Cardiff who have a short waiting list and deal with anxious clients?

You don't have to tell the dentist you go to now anything. You contact a dentist that you would like to go to and ask them if you can go to their practice. You can choose where you go and who you see.

Contact dentists you like the look of and if they don't make you feel comfortable or are rude as your present dentist is being leave and go somewhere else.

It is as simple as that. You can look on the links tab at the top of this page, there are recommended dentists on there if there are not any on there where you could go, ask around friends and family and try theirs. Also there is the nhs website they have a list of dentists on there.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on.

I would not see your dentist he has no right to shout at you and treat you the way he is. You decide what treatment you want to have, YOU have to give consent for any dentist or medical person to touch you. That consent has to be informed as well so they have to explain what is needed and why so that you understand and can agree to having it done.

You are in charge of YOU, it is your mouth. Get a second third or even forth opinion until you are happy to have the treatment needed and YOU choose who and where and when. :butterfly:

Live long and prosper :ROFLMAO:

Hi.

So my question is, how do you change dentists? Do I go to the desk and say "I want to change dentists?" I really don't know how to do it.

What Carole said...you can choose to go wherever you want, but if you mean you wish to see a different dentist at the same practice, then yes just tell the receptionist. No one can make you see a dentist you don't like.

@Carol so If I find a dentist and they take me on. I just have to inform my old dentist and then it's done? Because telling the dentist I have now I'm leaving sounds daunting.... I'll have a look at the top of the page, thank you :)

and yep. The Live long thing made me laugh :giggle:

@Brit I want to change to a different practice entirely. Somewhere where they have better care for phobic patients.

@Carol so If I find a dentist and they take me on. I just have to inform my old dentist and then it's done? Because telling the dentist I have now I'm leaving sounds daunting.... I'll have a look at the top of the page, thank you :)

and yep. The Live long thing made me laugh :giggle:

@Brit I want to change to a different practice entirely. Somewhere where they have better care for phobic patients.

You don't have to tell the practice you are leaving anything at all if you prefer not to. If you have any booked appointments with them just phone to cancel them. It's not like GPs, dentists are not fussed about the records other dentists have made and prefer to make their own.

That's good then. I'd rather not at the moment.

Oh and btw a dentist recommended on here is actually the one who talked to me about having sedation up at the hospital. I didn't even know he had a practice. I like him :)

Just go there then, like brit said you just cancel any further appointments you have, if you need a reason just say that you cannot attend at the moment and you will contact them later if they persist. But if you don't have any appointments don't contact them again just go to the one you want to see.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how things go.

Back