• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How to make freezing easier?

P

prolix

Long story short, I'm getting a root canal on Monday.

I'm really nervous about it, because I've heard a lot of horror stories about patients who are hard to freeze. I've never had trouble with it before, but I've heard that root canal situations sometimes cause issues with freezing?

I'm planning to take 5mg diazepam and 600mg ibuprofen about an hour before the appointment, so I should be as comfortable as I can reasonably make myself... but I'm still afraid re: freezing.

Is there anything I can do before then that will improve my odds of getting profoundly numb?

Hi prolix,

I'm not a dentist but there is a good section about 'can't get numb': https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/not-numb/

You can read more about how and why this can happen and some suggestions about how to solve it.

The most important part when it comes to numbing is, that you keep communicating with your dentist and let them know if you feel anything, no matter how slight. It might also be a good idea to talk to your dentist about this beforehand so that he can pay extra attention to this point.

Back