• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How to protect teeth during endoscopy

M

MountainMama

I am having an upper GI endoscopy done in a few weeks. The gastroenterologist said that they would use a bite block to help protect my teeth, but I read that dental trauma is still a high risk. Is there anything else I can do to protect my teeth and implants? I was wondering if wearing my upper night guard would help, at least to protect my front implant?

Not sure but I would expect they will remove it before starting the endoscopy, best to ask first.

Other than that there's really nothing you can do, if they're needing to get into your airway quickly then the dental work is secondary I'm afraid. If they don't then there won't be a problem.

Are you having GA for this or sedation? If the latter then your teeth should be safer (less chance of an urgent need to work on the airway)

PS I'll pass on to my anaesthetist son and ask him what he thinks.

Checked with Andy, it would be OK to wear your bite guard if you're having sedation, but he reckons the bite block they use anyway would protect your teeth (and their very expensive endoscope!) pretty well. If it was a GA then no you couldn't wear the guard (in his hospital anyway)

Checked with Andy, it would be OK to wear your bite guard if you're having sedation, but he reckons the bite block they use anyway would protect your teeth (and their very expensive endoscope!) pretty well. If it was a GA then no you couldn't wear the guard (in his hospital anyway)
Thank you for checking on that! I think it is GA, because they said they were putting me out for it. I will have to ask. I honestly wasn’t even thinking about the anesthesia.
With all the work I have had done, I am terrified that my teeth are going to get damaged.

No worries, for what it's worth, I've done literally thousands of GAs for only dental treatment and been in theatre for other stuff many times (when I've been waiting to jump in and do some dental work after the other surgeons are finished up) and I've only seen teeth being damaged a handful of times, every time the teeth were pretty knackered anyway and it would've been almost impossible not to damage them. I'm very sure your teeth are not in that state!

No worries, for what it's worth, I've done literally thousands of GAs for only dental treatment and been in theatre for other stuff many times (when I've been waiting to jump in and do some dental work after the other surgeons are finished up) and I've only seen teeth being damaged a handful of times, every time the teeth were pretty knackered anyway and it would've been almost impossible not to damage them. I'm very sure your teeth are not in that state!
That is reassuring. Mine are in good condition. I know it takes a lot to damage them. Just the thought of being out and not knowing is scary. I found out it is GA, so I guess I won’t bring my nightguard.
My upper first molar on the left is a concern, since there is no second molar and it is mostly filling on the back now. The back of the tooth has chipped off over the past three years since I lost the second molar. My dentist has said he doesn’t want to touch it due to the atypical facial pain and that I have another year before I need to deal with it. If that one gets knocked, I would worry about it breaking, but like you said, doctors do this all the time without injuring the teeth. I need to stop worrying so much.

The molars are pretty safely out of the danger zone, it's usually the lower front teeth that get traumatised if at all...
Forgot to say, good luck with it all :hug5:sending some positive thoughts!

The molars are pretty safely out of the danger zone, it's usually the lower front teeth that get traumatised if at all...
Forgot to say, good luck with it all :hug5:sending some positive thoughts!
Thank you! I hate GA…haven’t had it since I had my wisdom teeth out at 18 so I am more than a little nervous.

My bottom front teeth have never had issues so hopefully they will be fine. They are crooked and a few are chipped slightly, but no cavities or any work done.

@Gordon I just found out I am having propofol for the sedation via IV. I received an email today with the details. My procedure is next week. After a google search it looks like it is a conscious sedation. So I might bring my nightguard just in case I can use it. It will make me feel better if I can.

Good stuff. Can't do any harm to have it with you.

@Gordon I made it through! My teeth are fine. They had a bite block that protected all around my teeth, not the kind I was used to from the oral surgeon.

Good news, thanks for letting me know and I hope the (non-dental) results were good too!

Good news, thanks for letting me know and I hope the (non-dental) results were good too!
Eh, I am waiting on results. I may have celiacs. They did 6 biopsies for it.
At least I know I can make it through one of those now. My daughter may have to have one as well, so I can ease her mind about it.

Back