• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How will the dentist know when antibiotics have cleared up an infection?

A

Amygdaland

I have a pretty bad abscess under my upper second molar with no "pimple" on the surface of the gum. I've been on antibiotics and pain meds for a few days now, but I still have severe pain occasionally after moving around too much or exerting myself (which I will try not to do anymore). My dentist appointment is in 2 days and they will either do a root canal or pull the tooth.

I heard that the infection can make the anesthetic useless, and doing work on a still infected tooth could spread the infection. I don't really trust my dentist - how will she know if the antibiotics have sufficiently taken care of things when I'm there for treatment? I'm afraid they will just start it without asking or making sure.

Re: How will the dentist know when antibiotics have cleared up an infection?

Hi Amygdaland, so sorry to hear that you have to go through a procedure with a dentist you do not trust! :( I understand your concerns and wished you could get a dentist who can reassure you. If getting a dentist you would feel safe with is not possible at the moment, then I would say you should talk to your dentist and make your concerns very clear. Should you feel any discomfort, stop him/her.
If I were you I would also take a close friend or family member with me. This person can make sure that you will be ok and act like your advocate should you get uncomfortable. You could arrange a sign that only this person knows to interrupt the procedure should your fear take over.

Take care and let us know how you are doing, may the procedure go smoothly and hopefully you get rid of the pain as soon as possible.

Back