• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hygenist without dental nurse: he had to hold the sucking device in his mouth!

S

star2sparkle

My other half went to have his teeth scaled and polished and I was amazed when he reported back that she had no dental nurse with her, and that he had to hold the sucking device (to get rid of water) in his own mouth!
I mean, what if there had been an emergency?! Surely he isn't meant to be holding any dental instruments and especially not in his own mouth!
I looked up the dental council rules and it says there should always be another clinician there, in case anything goes wrong and for efficiency.
I have emailed the practice asking them to explain their actions.
What do you think?

Re: Hygenist without dental nurse: he had to hold the sucking device in his mouth!

Maybe things are different here in the US but I have never had a nurse in the room when I just see the hygienist for a cleaning. I have had a dental assistant in the room when seeing the actual dentist for treatment, but never for a cleaning. It is always just the hygienist and me.
I prefer not to have the sonic water thing, but the only time I ever did have it I had to hold the suction myself.

I'm in the US as well and have never had anyone else in the room for a cleaning. I've also had dental procedures with hair the dentist and no assistant.

Re: Hygenist without dental nurse: he had to hold the sucking device in his mouth!

I understand that a solo dentist is normal in some French offices. It is not done in USA. Alone in the room perhaps but not alone in the office except for the occasional trusted patient as an emergency.

Hygienists often work alone in the UK. There's usually support staff and/or other clinicians in the building though.

I have had cleanings where I had to hold the suction, I prefer it actually. I let her use the sonic water thing and didn't mind it.

If there is a dental procedure there is always an assisant but not typically for a cleaning

Back