• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hyperventilating 45 minutes prior to appt!!! And that's w/anti-anxiety pill!

• Thread starter Terrified Shaky Girl
  • Start date
T

Terrified Shaky Girl

Hyperventilating 45 minutes prior to appt!!! And that's w/anti-anxiety pill!

OK my "doomsday" (tooth extraction) hasn't arrived yet....but in 45 minutes I have an appt to repair a filling that broke and they're going to do that mold of that one tooth that's gotta be extracted because of external reabsorption (bone cells are eating the root of my tooth...why couldn't my body eat something else, like fat?) So why are my hands shaking uncontrollably (it's really hard typing this) and I'm hyperventilating? I love my dentist, he is the nicest, gentlest guy but OMG I can't even go into that building! Aaaaahh!!! I thought I was ok but I'm totally freaking out here over a filling and I don't know why. How am I gonna handle going to the oral surgeon? I get the referral for that today, perhaps that's what I'm most scared of. Panic attack!! :o

Re: Hyperventilating 45 minutes prior to appt!!! And that's w/anti-anxiety pill!

You will be okay. The stress before the appointment is much worse than the actual treatment. Just think in 2 hours it will be over and done with and you will be back at home wishing it would hurry up and thaw out. GOOD LUCK. STAY BRAVE. See you on the other side. (of the appointment)
Hope this helps and I caught you before you went in.

Re: Hyperventilating 45 minutes prior to appt!!! And that's w/anti-anxiety pill!

Thanks. :). I am now in the waiting room. They have all gone to lunch and I am shaking on the couch. Trying to calm myself down. Threw up before I left the house. Sat in the car in the parking lot and tried to gather myself together. I don't even know how I'm going to handle going to the oral surgeon. I am not much of a drinker but I think that appt is gonna require a few beers beforehand!

Just keep saying I'm fine. Hold it together you are okay nothing bad is going to happen.

You can do it! The waiting is always so much worse.
I just (today!) had some extractions by an oral surgeon, and it wasn't bad, he is only looking at the bit he is fixing and he didn't look for long just a cursory check before my GA.
Thinking of you, it'll be over soon. Let us know how it goes!

Thinking of you... you'll be just fine. Everyone's right... the anticipation beforehand is the most traumatising. Everything else is just cake! :XXLhug:

Anxious to hear how you go.

Thinking of you and hoping it is over already!

Hi everybody! Just got home....my dentist is so sweet, he is calm and says "Ok you're going to feel..." and described all the tools and what it would feel like. I totally nominate him for the greatest dentist of all time. Only thing is he's not a surgeon so he gave me the referral card for the oral surgeon that he works with. He talked to me about what to expect w/the extraction and implant, etc....gave me a brochure w/happy people showing off their pearly whites....as if they had an implant, yeah right. The anti-anxiety pill must have finally taken effect because as soon as I got home I just picked up the phone and called and made my consultation appt. The girl asked, "How about next Friday!"

Me: "No! That's too soon! How about the one after?"

So there it goes....My first appt w/the oral surgeon is on the 10th...I hope they can put me under. Thanks everyone for your support and kind words!

Good for you. Well you've done it now. Doesn't it feel so good. You will be fine on your next appointment. Your dentist sounds so nice and caring, he isn't going to send you to somebody that is going to frighten you. Congratulations !!!!!
Knew you could do it. Three cheers for you.

I was scared and shaky going to my oral surgeon consultation... Now I am petrified to have the extractions... next Thursday! I can't even sleep at night! I am taking a valume before the surgery and I'm being put under... but I am even afraid of that! I know how you feel... and I will keep you posted on how it goes... keep me in your thoughts! :confused:

Back