• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hypodontia

LenaD

LenaD

I have another question my daughter just got back from her first consultation for orthodontist and they took a panoramic X-ray. She moved so it came out a little hazy but it seems like she maybe missing her two lateral incisors. I’m holding out hope there hidden up there. I’ve also been researching like a crazy. Before this I’ve never heard of this. They said it’s common but I’ve never heard of it before this. Any tips on how to handle this?

It's pretty common.
There are various ways to handle it, can't really advise without seeing the patient.

My daughter just turned 6 wouldn’t we be able to see it in a panoramic X-ray by now?

It's not an ideal film for visualising the front teeth, I wouldn't rely on it but 6 yrs old is too young to do anything about it anyway, so try to relax about it for now.

What you could do is start a small savings account for her for an implant, if you stick a couple of bucks per month in it, then by the time she's old enough for an implant (21 or so) the money will be there... or she can buy a car instead!