• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I’m freaking out

• Thread starter Freakingouthealthanxiety
  • Start date
F

Freakingouthealthanxiety

Hi,

First of all I’m sorry for the images, I know it looks gross and I feel embarrassed

I have a rotten tooth that broken and it’s at a point where there’s already gum covering the hole

What keeps me from going to the dentist is health anxiety. I’m afraid of anesthesia because I fear I might be allergic. I’m afraid of developing an infection due to the extraction that will spread to the blood and I know this one is nonsense because I’m risking it more by not doing anything. I feel depressed by how far I’ve ignored my dental health and how worthless I feel. I want to go to the dentist but at the same time I know that it’s going to be a difficult extraction and there will be pain after. I know that I will be panicking through the all time I feel pain. That’s what’s happening right now with other parts of my body. I feel something and I panic as I search my symptoms online

I read that people got into septic shock after an extraction, infections that got into the brain etc and I simply can’t gain the courage to go. I have a headache on both sides of my head, of course I googled all symptoms and it can be related to my teeth like an infection that’s already in the brain

Anyone have any advice?

If I start taking an antibiotic before, during and after all this will I be at risk of an infection? How will be the pain with no anesthesia? I’m also afraid it won’t clot. What scares me the most is the infection spreading. Even the extraction being made with no infection it could develop pretty fast after. Is there anything that can be done to be 100% sure this won’t happen?

I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors, english is not my first language

Attachments

• 2340BF71-C174-49B2-A4FC-E21300461F7D.jpeg
    2340BF71-C174-49B2-A4FC-E21300461F7D.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 13
  • EC4D3073-06B3-45E2-8265-B788249CDC16.jpeg
    EC4D3073-06B3-45E2-8265-B788249CDC16.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DB82B9B1-E2D2-43A9-AF6A-B0BAC77D511B.jpeg
    DB82B9B1-E2D2-43A9-AF6A-B0BAC77D511B.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 13
  • D08AF978-281D-423E-A4B6-83BBAFE73604.jpeg
    D08AF978-281D-423E-A4B6-83BBAFE73604.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I’ll start by saying I’m not a dentist. Keep in mind that dentists are able to extract wisdom teeth that have not yet erupted. Getting your tooth out should not be a problem. If there is any infection, I believe they usually clean it out once the tooth is removed. Their are techniques they can use to help you heal and get a clot.

Regarding the infection, once you see a dentist they can assess the situation and tell you what is going on. They can give you antibiotics if needed. For the septic shock, if you are otherwise healthy, your body immune system should be able to combat the infection. If not, your dentist can give you medication to help.

I think going to see a dentist will help you understand what is going on and what you need.

Definitely get to the dentist and they will help you out.. that’s the first step. If you got an infection antibiotics will flush it away but yeah you need to go... dental anxiety is a real pain but once you start treatment it’s only upwards you can go in my opinion. Good luck ??

Adding to the great advice above from a dentist's point of view:
1) It's a really, really, easy extraction
2) Local anaesthetics are among the safest drugs ever invented. Actual allergy to them is virtually unknown.
3) That tooth is already pumping millions of bacteria through your bloodstream, the fact that you're fine and well shows how well the immune system can deal with dental infections, they are pretty weak and feeble things in the big scheme of things.

Hi! Not a dentist, just a panicky patient myself riddled with allergies. To be safe, my dentist actually give me a tiny (teeny tiny) shot of lidocaine under the skin of my forearm and had me sit for 15 -30 minutes first. No reaction at all and I could see for myself unlike in my mouth. I was perfectly fine. Like Gordon said, allergy to it is virtually unknown. Even for allergy prone peeps.

While I DO NOT recommend this, I left an abscess untreated for 3 + years before having it treated. No sepsis before or after it was removed. In fact, when they took it out, they took the infection too.

The worst part is where you are now - the fear of the unknown. Find a dentist you trust and take baby steps. You don't have to do anything but talk to them first.

Back