• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I’m new and terrified of extraction of all teeth and dentures

T

Terrified1

Hi.

So I’m 37 and I’m off today to the dentist to have impressions done in readiness for dentures. I have to have all my teeth removed and full dentures. I have been waiting nearly 2 years for the surgery to remove as I have kidney disease stage 4 which means I cannot have the teeth removed at normal dentist. I will be put under at hospital etc. I literally feel like I’m having a nervous breakdown about it all. My dentist is very uncaring and has made me feel really panicked by saying that basically I won’t be able to eat or talk until I get the proper dentures, as the temporary ones are so awful. She has said that it will be 6 months before I can have the proper ones. I am panicking that my job requires me to talk to people (home visits, meetings etc) so there is no way I’ll be able to work at least until I start to be able to use the dentures! However, I have been told I can’t be signed off sick by hospital or dentist. So I’m literally panicking that I’m just going to have to leave my work and give up?! I have been feeling suicidal about this, and have suicidal thoughts every day. I haven’t acted upon them as I feel too guilty for my family. However, today I’m worried that the impressions being done may mean my teeth which are loose, may come out .. and I can’t just stop going to work because of this! I then have another 2 weeks until the surgery. I’m literally freaking out and having panic attacks through the day and night about all this. I feel so alone, and feel judged by everyone on the professional teams around me. And feel that this step towards dentures is going to ruin my life beyond repair. I also have to have it done due to avoiding infections when I need transplant for my kidneys which will be in the next year or two. I have high blood pressure which is caused by my kidney disease and I am worried that all this stress is going to be moving me towards death due to kidney failure rapidly. Sorry for rambling..

Welcome!

It sounds like there are a couple of things that are really worrying you. Teeth coming out in the impressions and then being able to cope with the dentures once fitted.

With regards to teeth coming out, it’s true to say it can happen but in 20 yrs and having taken many, many impressions on patients with very mobile teeth it’s nevwr happened to me so it’s safe to say it’s quite rare.

Regards the dentures, immediate dentures are, by their nature a compromise as they are made in the lab’s best estimation of where things will be and then there are a lot of changes to the gums in the first few months after. That said most people adapt very well and there are also things that can be done as the gums heal to improve things, like relining which would only mean you being without them for a day or so.

Your speech may be strange at first but this usually recovers within a day or two and you’ll be amazed at how quickly you adapt to eating.

It sounds like dentist has perhaps done too good a job of warning you of the shortcomings of immediate dentures as although they’re by no means as good as a final set they certainly do the job.

Hope this helps a bit

Dear Terrified1,

really sorry to read what you are going through, particularly that you are suffering from suicidal thoughts. Glad you came here and shared about your worries. Please feel free to ramble here as much as you like - dealing with anxiety can bring people to the darkest places and writing it all out helps.

I wished your dentist was more supportive and would offer you some reassurance. You have been waiting for so long to get this done and it sounds scary enough even if you had a kind caring dentist. However, I guess we cannot change how you feel about your dentist (or is there any chance to get an another one? Or to have a chat about your fears and how hard this is for you?), but having some accurate information than what your fears are telling you is always helpful.

You already got a reply from Mike and I can hardly top it as he is a dentist, but I have seen many people who had impressions done on really wobbly teeth and it all went well. I am sure it will be the priority of your dentist to be careful enough for them to stay in. I know you don‘t feel too well with your dentist, but if you can, talk to her and tell her how much this worries you.

We have an article about getting used to dentures here on the forum, I will find it and post it to you after finishing this post. You might need some adjustments and a bit of exercise but of course you won‘t be unable to work for 6 months!

Last but not least, you don‘t have to deal with this alone. As I said, please feel free to write here as much as you like, we even have a journal section where you can write a sort of a diary about anything that bothers you.

Also, you might have heard of the Samaritans: . They are here to listen and to talk to you and to help you carry all those heavy feelings, so if you ever feel lonely again, please do give them a try. You can get in touch via phone or via email.

All the best wishes, hang in there, do keep us posted and I‘m gonna find the link for you now

Here are the links about dentures and an extra one that you might find helpful as well:

I will second and third the responses above. I have never had a loose tooth come out in an impression tray, and loose teeth were all I had for over 20 years. Also, you should totally be able to work with the immediate dentures, but it may take a few days, or a little longer to adjust. They will certainly not feel like your real teeth, but with a reline or two over the time that your gums are shrinking, working will definitely be possible. After those first few days, you might still lisp a little, but you can easily explain that away to your clients by mentioning that you're slurring a bit because you just had some dental work done. Eating can be a challenge at first, but you will learn how to gradually, after starting with soft foods and moving to more difficult foods as you figure out how. I also agree with Mike that your dentist may just be trying to let you know that dentures are not like real teeth, and lowering your expectations. My own dentist did that too, but I already knew that, so wasn't expecting perfection. But because he'd lowered my expectations, I was pleasantly surprised by how many things I ended up being able to eat, and how quickly I was able to speak well afterward. Don't expect the world, but don't be panicked because your dentist sounded so negative either.

Thanks so much for the replies guys! So I went to the dentist - it was traumatic, to say the least. On the positive, nothing came out (although I’m not convinced that my VERY mobile top front two may not flop out in the next few days).. on the down side, I cried. And it hurt. And I got very little sympathy from the dentist and assistant, in fact they didn’t really say much to me at all. However, she did say that as I’m having general anaesthetic (that’s the one where you’re completed under, right?) it worth me planning to be off work for at least a week or two post op to get used to the dentures and most importantly, let myself heal (they’re worried about my kidneys not being able to process the anaesthetic as normal peoples would etc). I’m likely to post again. As although the crazy panic today has disappeared a bit, there is still the underlying fear and terror of what is yet to come. Thanks again guys x

Thanks so much for the replies guys! So I went to the dentist - it was traumatic, to say the least. On the positive, nothing came out (although I’m not convinced that my VERY mobile top front two may not flop out in the next few days).. on the down side, I cried. And it hurt. And I got very little sympathy from the dentist and assistant, in fact they didn’t really say much to me at all. However, she did say that as I’m having general anaesthetic (that’s the one where you’re completed under, right?) it worth me planning to be off work for at least a week or two post op to get used to the dentures and most importantly, let myself heal (they’re worried about my kidneys not being able to process the anaesthetic as normal peoples would etc). I’m likely to post again. As although the crazy panic today has disappeared a bit, there is still the underlying fear and terror of what is yet to come. Thanks again guys x

That sounds quite traumatic and I am so sorry you had to go through that. Is it possible to switch dentists or doctors? These do not seem to be understanding or taking your feelings into consideration at all. From my experience, it can be so helpful and completely change things with a compassionate and kind professional.

Either way, I am very proud of you. General anesthesia was great for me, literally woke up and it was all done. Please keep updating, I'm sending all the best thoughts!

Hi Terrified1,
So sorry to hear about your bad experiences and the stress you’re going through now. I’m not a dentist, and Mike gave you some excellent advice. But I had all my teeth removed and temporary dentures put in three weeks ago. I was sedated for the procedure. You will be able to speak and eat in time. I can tell you in my experience that those first few days were the hardest, and every day gets better. The pain is manageable, and you feel like you’re never going to get used to having them in, but you will. Talking will be strange but it will sound worse in your head than you think it does. Practice talking when you’re alone, read something aloud. I had my procedure on a Thursday, then took off work until Monday, and I was able to speak pretty good by Tuesday. Stay with very soft foods like soups, mashed potatoes, pudding, yogurt for a few days, and supplement with meal replacement drinks to keep your nutrition levels up. You’ll learn how to eat with them. I’m not able to bite anything yet, but I can chew if I cut things into smaller sizes. Please keep posting on here if you’re feeling like you just can’t handle it. Everyone here is very supportive and knows what you’re going through. You can do this.

Hi,

I can't really add to the posts already written re the procedures etc, I'm certainly no dentist! It's nice to read the positives and learn a little more imo :)

I'm curious as to why you feel judged by everyone in the professional teams, at work or medically??

Right or wrong, as I don't know the ins and outs of Kidney disease etc, I think you are doing extremely well to still be working etc, as I can't imagine it's easy, esp when poorly you can get depressed or down, but youre out there, holding down your job and taking care of your family. Like I said, I don't know what it's like, but my instinct tells me your pretty determined and wanting to do your best, you have to deal with more than most and are doing really well.
What is your workplace like, are they understanding? You sound like a hard worker and I'm sure that's been noted, so its likely they're understanding of your situation and whatever you have to do over the next few years. Perhaps there's work you could do from home, or some other solution that may take the pressure of your fears surrounding speaking with your dentures in the early stages (until you're more confident). My Nanna (who lost all her teeth by age 40 or so) had full dentures and I honestly don't remember a single time when they fell out of their own accord... chasing me with them as a kid perhaps, but never falling out when speaking to me!! :). This was years ago and I'm sure things have come on massively since then aswell - I'm sure they're not as bad as your dentist has made out - Im not quite sure what's to gain by painting such a bad picture.

I do think it would be worth taking someone with you to your next appointment if possible? With someone who understands your situation by your side it will be support for you, and they also may be able to convey your wishes too.. ie that you would like to know what's going on, or to have some dialogue at least.
Perhaps your dentist thinks you do better not knowing what's going on, but a simple "you're doing really well.. Not long to go" or something like that, can go a long way.
She may just think twice about being so negative if you're there with someone by your side.

For what it's worth you should be proud of yourself x

Back