I’m nineteen and I am so terrified of my teeth.

hel3n2299

hel3n2299

Hi everyone.
I’m new to this and really hope people can relate to this and help me as I’m really losing my mind.
For about six months now I have been completely paranoid about my teeth and can’t stop checking touching or searching the internet for some sort of reassurance!!
The weird thing about this is that I’ve always had pretty decent teeth and never been told I’ve needed to have a filling or that I’ve suffered with gum disease or anything! I’ve also been told my brushing is perfect and I have nothing to worry about.
My biggest fear is off my bottom front teeth.. the gum is slightly receded however it’s been like this for years but only started scaring me recently. My dentist has assured me it’s nothing to worry about but has never done xrays around that area and my biggest fear is there’s a lot of bone loss around the two teeth, they don't feel loose at all but the more I think about them I worry so much I feel as if I’m going to have a panic attack. It’s my first thought at night and when I wake up and I just need some sort of solution to stop worrying!! I’ve never had a fear of the dentist... so much so that I used to be an apprentice dental nurse myself and was absolutely fascinated by teeth- mainly ones in a bad state as well. Please someone help me as it’s stopping me living my life as I’m so paranoid the only solution to put myself at ease is to sleep😢😢

Attachments

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
Hi there,

Happy to tell you that things look and sound absolutely fine. The degree of recession would be regarded as mild on a scale of mild-moderate-severe. Provided your dentist has checked that the attachment levels of the gums in the area are ok (which is almost certainly the case even if it was not explained to you) then there is no need for an x-ray.

These areas can be managed fine with relevant preventive measures to slow the process down along with regular checks to ensure the recession remains at a similar level.

Hopefully this helps you sleep at night. If it helps settle you further, getting a second opinion from another dentist or periodontist may be useful.

All the best,
Niall

hel3n2299

hel3n2299

Hi Niall,

Thanks so much for the response. Has made me feel better. I think maybe from not wearing my retainer after having braces has caused partial gum recession from the teeth shifting back to their original position. Might mention on my next check up that I’m still concerned.

Thanks again,
Helen

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
You’re very welcome Helen. Glad to hear it 👍

C

Christine826

I can definitely relate to this. I have a similar issue and it stresses me out so much. Crazy what anxiety can do- it basically makes it so I can’t focus on anything but my teeth lately. I try to keep busy so I don’t think about it. I’m glad one of the dentists on here got back to you and hope that it puts your mind at ease a little. Whatever you do, don’t go and google anything teeth or gums related- it made me worry even more!

C

coilspring

I found myself in a similar or not so similar situation 2-3 years ago. I hadn't visited a dentist for 10 years just to found had more than 20 cavities. At this moment I was 23 year old. I felled immediately into severe depression. Nonetheless, I'd fixed all cavities. I ended up with 28 fillings. I was devastated and I lost around 20 kg body weight. I live in a quite conservative and outdated country so I never seek any help from psychologist or psychologist. My advice is to visit a psychotherapist. I think your problem is in your thoughts, so as long as you are obsessed with your teeth you are missing good time, which is just in front of your eyes.

Your teeth are looking just fine and beautiful. And I am sure they are. Take good care for them and they will last livelong. I am not a dentist, but I think your very mild gum recession is due to teeth misalignment. You made mistake to not wear your retainer. Иван_Илиев_1993_05_25_PAN61.jpg

All white things on my teeth are my fillings. And my smile is really OK. I clean them and check them regularly and live a normal life with them. My case is far worse than yours and I overcome it.

hel3n2299

hel3n2299

Thanks everyone for such lovely messages since joining this website I don’t think twice about my teeth such a minor thing of life and everyone should appreciate what they have and there’s brilliant dentists out there to help fix problems and reassure patients that there’s no problems if that’s the case. ❤❤