• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I’m really scared...

I

Imdyinggg

Tomorrow, I have a small cavity in the back of my mouth. I’ve never had a cavity before, let alone anything that needs laughing gas. The dentist said that I don’t even need a shot, but I am very afraid of the laughing gas. Will it make me say weird things, or will it only last for a few minutes? I was told that he filling should take under a half hour, so will there be aftereffects for the laughing gas?

I had laughing gas for the first time this year, for a root canal, then for oral surgery.

The laughing gas (nitrous oxide) doesn't make you want to talk or laugh. It just relaxes you. They put a mask over your nose and you breathe it in. As long as the mask is in, you feel relaxed. It is almost like the feeling when you arw drowsy and almost asleep, but still aware of what is going on around you. Once they take the mask off, the effects of it go away within five minutes usually. I had a slightly higher dosage of it with my root canal and it made me sleepy feelinh for about 15 minutes after. They had me sit in the chair until it passed. When I had my oral surgery, they gave me oxygen right after, and I felt normal right away

If laughing gas is the thing that you are scared of and if the cavity is so small that you don't even need a shot.. I am wondering what is the reason that your dentist recommended it?

Did the dentist suggest the nitrous because you are scared of the filling?

Laughing gas is nothing to be afraid of. It makes you feel like you are floating and could care less. Also, dentists have to be specially trained to use laughing gas. It really makes dental procedures way easier.

I had laughing gas to have two cavities filled and it relaxed me and then I had the side effect of wanting to sleep when I got home you will be fine

Back