• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I’m so nervous

M

Melanie goidy

I know this is going to sound so stupid as I’m 50 years old. I have a broken tooth and I’m sure I have gum disease!
I have a fear the dentist is going to tell me I have cancer. My anxiety is through the roof just calling makes me anxious.
i really hope this is ok to post I need advice

I know this is going to sound so stupid as I’m 50 years old. I have a broken tooth and I’m sure I have gum disease!
I have a fear the dentist is going to tell me I have cancer. My anxiety is through the roof just calling makes me anxious.
i really hope this is ok to post I need advice
Hi Melanie -
First of all, you don’t sound stupid. Anxiety and phobias don’t have an age limit.

Is there a reason you think the dentist is going to tell you that you have cancer or is it because of the broken tooth? Teeth break for all sorts of reasons but it doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s anything else going on. As for the gum disease I have no experience with that but I do have plenty of experience with dental anxiety.

Have you been able to research any dental offices near you to see if they are
experienced in dealing with anxious patients? You don’t have to dive right in and make the call. Maybe try emailing first.

No I don’t know why it’s just terrible anxiety, but I need to do it , I’m keeping it clean it’s not bleeding or causing pain thank you for answering me

Back