• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I’m So Scared

E

Elainemarie

I have been afraid of going to the dentist since I can remember. I ended up having a tooth pullled in May. I also have a broken tooth that’s been broken for years and one that looks horrible and has a huge black cavity. I was supposed to go back for root canals and got scared so I didn’t go.

I’ve been in pain for the last week and have been googling my symptoms non stop. I’m pretty sure I have an infection and I’m afraid it will spread and I’ll get sick or even die. I’ve been living in a state of constant fear.

I ended up making an appointment and I go on Tuesday. To say I’m nervous would be an understatement.

I keep thinking about my mom and how my parents got me braces and took me to the dentist even when they couldn’t afford it. She always told me to take care of my teeth and I feel I let her down. She passed away and I wish I could talk to her now and hear some comforting words.

I just need some encouragement and know I’m not alone.

you are not alone. I have to have a root canal tomorrow and am petrified. It doesn't help that a tooth nearby is hurting too so I am now worried more is going on. It could of course be referred pain. I get myself so worked up I don't sleep and feel sick.I also have issues with pain from a tooth under a crown that had root canal about 16 years ago. Dentist said remove but I have said I want to see an endontist in case there is something they can do to save the tooth. I had a dreadful dentist as a child then 2 bad experiences as an adult which have left me scared of dentists.

I hope your appointment went okay today!!

My tooth bled so much they could only only clean 2 canals so now waiting for an appointment to get the 3rd cleaned.

Hi Elainemarie:welcome:

I am sorry to read about your situation. There surely is a lot of pressure on you now as you are in pain and do not have much time to come up with strategies to deal with your fear. May I ask you whether you booked at the same practice again? Were they nice to you? And what are the things that scare you when it comes to the visit?
By the way, I know internet says otherwise, but if you ask any dentist, they will tell you that dental infections do not spread. ;) when it comes to reassuring words from your mom - sometimes it helps to close your eyes and to imagine what she would tell you if you had a chance to talk to her. I have had few helpful conversations with my loved ones who passed away in this way. And I am very sure she wouldn't feel like you let her down in any way. She would very likely be supportive and understand that your fears are currently bigger than your wish to go.

All the best wishes

I just wanted to say that (without knowing her of course) I'm sure your mum would be proud of you for the steps you're taking, you haven't let her down.. Mum's don't think like that, she would be more concerned for you than anything else and it takes a lot, A LOT, to be upset with your kids - and this isn't it I assure you(!). You're taking the steps you need and you should be proud of yourself for that. I hope your future appointments go well x

Back