• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

I’ve lost enamel on a tooth

• Thread starter worriedaboutteethandgums
  • Start date
W

worriedaboutteethandgums

A long time ago, I was told that one of my teeth had lost its enamel. Ever since then, I’ve had pain in that tooth.

Every time I went to the dentist and told them them about this pain, they shaved the tooth down. It stopped hurting for a while but then it began hurting again. So my tooth was shaved down again.

This cycle had happened maybe 2 or 3 times now. Maybe even more, I’ve lost count.

It had stopped hurting but now the pain has returned. Is there an alternative to stop the pain? Is there any other sort of treatment that can be done to help?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Any chance of a photo? What you've posted doesn't make sense.

W

worriedaboutteethandgums

I feel a little uncomfortable sharing a photo of my horrible tooth and I’m sorry for not making sense. I will try to explain it again.

My dentist told me that one of my premolars had lost its enamel. Later on, this premolar began to hurt and cause lots of pain.
I saw a dentist and they shaved the premolar down. The pain went away.

However the pain came back. And again, a dentist shaved the premolar down.

I am constantly in this cycle of my premolar being in pain and having my premolar tooth shaved down.

Is there any long term treatment for this?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
The story makes no sense, sorry. If there's not enough enamel then how can shaving more away help at all?
Maybe we're losing something in translation? You can send photos by PM here it doesn't have to be public.

M

MumOfBoys1985

Do you mean they adjusted the bite ? Surely shaving some tooth that has lost enamel would just remove more enamel?

W

worriedaboutteethandgums

Yes, I think the official term would be adjusting the bite.

It’s the process that uses black paper (I think it’s called carbon paper)

M

MumOfBoys1985

Yes, I think the official term would be adjusting the bite.

It’s the process that uses black paper (I think it’s called carbon paper)
Ah yes that's the stuff they use to check your bite after you've had a filling done etc to see if the bite is as it should be. If your bite is off, it can cause pain. Have they ruled out any other issues such as needing root canal, abscess, grinding etc?

W

worriedaboutteethandgums

They haven’t mentioned any other issues at all. At the moment, the tooth doesn’t hurt. I’m not sure what the pain was. Perhaps it was a one-off pain, but it still worries me