• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I absolutely cannot believe I'm posting this....... PLEASE READ

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the hydrocodone. I have had taken hydrocodone for my extractions and for my recent root canal. How often are you taking the pain med? I was taking hydrocodone 2x a day, (after my root canal) for a few days and I (luckily) didn't experience constipation.
Hope you feel better soon!!
:grouphug:'s!!!!!

Jen, after my extractions and when I got home I took it every 4 hours including at night per the instructions. I also took the ibuprofen. I had zero pain problems and everything was going great.... until.... after I had to stop taking it is when I had the trouble with pain. I'm now taking it again except for at night with lots of lax and so far it's going better. It helps so much with the pain. It's weird because I have had lortab before in the past and don't remember ever having this problem. Maybe I didn't take this much ... I don't know. I just want to give a heads up to anyone else so they can prevent having this problem. I wish my doctor had warned me so I might could have prevented this whole thing.

Yeah, I remember taking the hydrocodone a little more than 2x a day for my extractions.................but I healed up so quickly that I think after day 2, I was taking ibuprofen during the day and then took a hydrocodone at night.
Docs NEVER warn you about all these side effects................guess they're worried we wouldn't take our meds as instructed if we knew about all the side effects.
Hope you continue to feel better!!!
:XXLhug:

Just another update.... about 3 weeks out which was last week I had to go back to the oral surgeon. I started having bad pain on my left side. I put up with it for a about 5 days because I was chicken to go back but I finally broke down and went because I couldn't stand the pain anymore. He irrigated it all out on that side and took an xray. He said it was probably an infection from those tiny bone spicules trying to make their way out. He gave me 10 days of amoxicillin and after a few days the pain went away. I'm almost done with it. So glad it is better now. It hurt like you know what. It's kind of funny because my biggest fear was the actual procedure not the recovery. My oral surgeon kept telling me the procedure was the easy part and the recovery was the hard part. I didn't believe it but it actually turned out just as he said. I wouldn't say my recovery was that bad but there was some days that I was feeling pretty lousy. The actual procedure which is what I was most afraid of turned out to be pretty easy. I couldn't believe it. And ....everyone was right. The fear leading up to it was worse than anything! I swear I have more gray hair now.

By the way, just for the record.... (sorry if I already said this) he did not spray me with anything before the iv. He just put it in and it went into my wrist. I'm not sure why he didn't use any numbing meds but I was ok because I don't have a fear of needles but it did sting.

Also, he said my teeth were hard to get out because of my age but that the surgery went smoothly. I had no bruising at all and very little swelling.