• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I absolutely cannot believe I'm posting this....... PLEASE READ

I havn't had any problems with my pain killers (lortab and ibuprofen) so far. The ibuprofen has to be taken with food though. It makes me sleepy but other than that it's great and does its job.

UPDATE ON RECOVERY: Well, today is day three and as my os warned me it is much more sore today. However, it's kind of hard to describe. It feels like muscle soreness or something. I would not describe it as painful. However the day is still young. The pain meds are keeping it under control. So far it definitely not anything I cannot handle. I have switched back to the ice packs for a little while then later I will go back to the heating pad. There is a little more swelling but in all honesty I have not had much swelling at all since the beginning. Just a little bit. I'm still able to open my mouth without problems. I have slept pretty good aside from being woke up every 4 hours to take my pain meds. lol I have taken it as directed since I got home but will probably start trying to back off some tomorrow. I pureed a can of dinty moore beef stew last night in the blender then heated it up like soup. LOL It tasted better than I thought it would. Other than that have had soup, pudding, ice cream ect... Will be glad when I can eat again. I hope I'm not speaking too soon but I guess I have been really lucky because I just havn't had any problems at all and I'm very thankful for that.

So glad to hear that you are doing sooo well ! Sounds like you are having the same experience as me ! So glad,,,;D

Oh me too, Ellen.... I'm so happy that I am able to have a good experience like you did. Thank you so much for helping me through this. I really appreciate it. :XXLhug:

Well, it's day four. I took a pain pill at about 10pm last night then left off the pain meds. I wanted to back off of it since it was making me sleepy. Woke up this morning pretty sore. Enough so that I had to take a pain pill after all. Maybe I can space them apart and not take them as much.

ANOTHER UPDATE: for day four. I tried to wean myself off the meds today. Big mistake! Had some trouble and alot of soreness. Back on meds for now. Also, if you are taking hydrocodone and ibuprofen take something to keep you regular. Unfortunately found out today it causes severe constipation. Ugh!!!! :( So, not so great day. Not that bad but definitely not great. Mostly due to my own fault so please learn from my mistakes and save yourself some trouble.

Hello Tabatha,
I was prescribed hydrocodone last week and my pharmacist advised me to drink alot of water to offset the constipation..but the first dose of hydrcodone gave me a massive headache so I didn't have to worry about constipation.I switched to taking ibprofen instead..Worked just as well..I'm at day 5 and still am sore...

Hi Lily... sorry you are still sore. My hydrocodone is a mix with acetaminfen. I'm supposed to take it every 4 hours. Then I have the 800mg of ibuprofen I'm supposed to take 3 times a day. I'm only taking it twice a day because it has to be taken with food. It can really hurt your stomach. It is so helpful though. I'm feeling a lot better tonight. Sorry your hydrocodone gave you a headache. It has been very helpful for me but I wish someone had warned me about the constipation. Wow!!! :o

LOL I have a great pharmacist who knows everything! LOL...Do you have more dental work that needs to be done?

Lily, as far as I know these bottom wisdom teeth extractions were it. I had the top ones removed three years ago and my dentist has been trying to get me to have the bottom ones done ever since then but I was too terrified. I still can't believe it's done. I have had many fillings but this is it until something else comes up. Thanks to my meds I'm feeling soooooooo much better tonight. ;D ;D

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better!!!

Hi Tabatha,

How are you? Do you still have constipation?
Me too either from the PPI or just my digestion is slower, now drinking prune juice, peach or pear juice. It helps a lot.

It`s glad to hear your healing goes very well.

It`s gonna be better and better and I think day 4 or 5 is the usual timeline of developing dry socket.

So you are good.

Happy Healing

Judit

Hi Judit, I'm doing much better tonight. I'm not having trouble anymore because I took something for it. The healing is going very well as long as I take my pain meds. Hopefully Im past dry socket danger. Really havn't had any trouble hardly. Thank you for checking on me. I have a follow up appt on Thursday. :)

Hi again tabatha7, so glad your healing is going so well! Just a quick question as my appt with the surgeon edges slowly nearer- did the surgeon prescribe you the pain meds after your op? I have 400mg ibuprofen in stock ready and gonna get some ibuprofen meltlets for when I can't swallow properly after the op. Just hope I can shake this stupid cold before my appt on wednesday next week as I don't want it delayed.

Hi Blackcat.... my oral surgeon's office called in my prescriptions the day before my surgery. One of the reasons is because they gave me a couple of valiums for the night before and morning of the surgery. So, yes, I had my rx filled the day before. I bought ibuprofen too but they gave me a prescription for a higher dose of it 800 mg. I basically waisted my $$ on it. I don't know what your os will prescribe but they gave me a mix of hydrocodone/acetaminafin and ibuprofen. They also gave me the 2 valiums and some zofran for nausea. I never did need the zofran though. Just for the record I never had trouble swallowing my pills even though I was concerned about it ahead of time. I even took them with the gauze still in my mouth. LOL I know some people have a hard time opening their mouth afterwards but I didn't have that problem.

Strange that you are having the constipation issues because usually taking that much ibuprophin has the opposite effect if you know what I mean, lol.

Mike

Another Update: Well, Mike apparently it is not enough. So today I have had some trouble. The meds are making me severely severely constipated. It's about to kill me. Anyway, I tried backing off the meds again and I got really sore and hurting tonight. It seems like I'm darned if I do or don't. I called my oral surgeon and he said it's the hydrocodone. He told me to quit taking that and just take the ibuprofen and tylenol. He also told me some laxatives and stool softeners to get. Here's hoping they work!o_O

tabatha, I have really enjoyed reading about your success, thank you for posting it. I hope you are feeling better and that the soreness is improving. The pain from my extraction took a lot longer than I expected, and I tried going off meds too early, as well.

I've learned the meds are there for a reason! Use them if you need them, and feel comfortable.

Thanks again for posting your story and your updates, it's really encouraging.

:hug5::hug5::hug5:

Thank you for the kind words, Belle... :) UPDATE DAY 8: Things are not going as well as they were. I don't want to scare anyone but I want to be honest about my recovery. I don't think what's happened to me is typical. Anyway, I had a very nasty side effect of the hydrocodone as I stated previously. (VERY severe constipation) and I had to stop taking it. When I stopped taking it I was very sore and in pain. It has been this way for a couple of days now. I'm still taking the 800mg of ibuprofen and tylenols. They are really not helping much. I went to my follow up appointment today. I have 2 hard lumps on my jaws that are very sore and on the inside. It oozes some puss stuff sometimes. He said this was normal and is scar tissue. Apparently it wasn't that easy getting my teeth out. Anyway, there's not much more he can give me for pain. I can either take the hydrocodone as needed and take laxatives with it or take some tylenol 3 he is going to call in for me. I'm getting desperate enough to take the hydrocodone again and take laxatives with it. So, yeah I am having some difficulty now that was kind of unexpected but I'll get through it somehow. As long as I was taking the pain meds I didn't have any trouble.

Last edited:
I am taking the hydrocodone again very cautiously..... and am feeling better tonight. Please say a prayer for me that it works out so I can continue taking it. It really helps with the pain.