• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I always have fear going to every dental appointment

T

Thephilsblogbar

I have a mild disability (learning) so always get myself worked up about visiting the dentist, I think I have got some sort of dental phobia which came from childhood with a dentist who is not at the practice now, but my current dentist has worked with my 1st dentist, she scared me a lot

I think I got some sort of anxiety and phobia about the dentist about what she thinks about my teeth, not matter how much ensure I get my teeth are okay, has she seen worst possibly, has she seen better yes.

Getting the telling off for drinking soda which I admit I do (dentists can tell, so why lie), so have cut out the soda, crisps and sweets just for treats only when we go out (since I don't drink booze) I know the dentist is trying to help me keep my teeth nice.

I also get scared about the treatment I got to go back for a filling and sort another tooth out :( picked up from a X-ray.

I have a small mouth, overbite. I feel my teeth are a mess I don't feel like smiling, rarely feel confident around other people especially if I get asked to go out with someone at some point in the future because how I feel about my teeth and I think my teeth are the worst in the world.

Even though I go for appointments every three months for checkups. I have got a few fillings in my mouth at age 31 over the years (still I think it is many for my age and whether I should replace the silver fillings with white, implants, crowns I dont know) I know it important to get treated done as soon as possible. I am scared I might need dentures before I am 40.

I am not sure whether genes play a role in teeth, my Dad parents never took him to the dentist and his brothers. My Dad lost his teeth when he in his 40s. So this is one of the reason he wants me and my sister go to the dentist. My Mum also wants us to go the dentist, her teeth are okay for her age but had a lot of work on her teeth.

I keep telling the dentist my teeth are awful I am very embarrassed about how my teeth look and feel guilty. I also tell her, the assistant, reception staff I am nervous, scared, worried because each appointment is a trip in the unknown.

I have never question the dentist whether the treatment is needed since I am registered with a NHS practice and don't want to be asked to leave the practice for not trusting the dentist.

I have had some CBT in the past but this was when I was worried about my health as I was scared I have sometimes serious wrong with me, with a number of trips to the GP, number of scans and tests.

Last edited:
I have a mild disability (learning) so always get myself worked up about visiting the dentist, I think I have got some sort of dental phobia which came from childhood with a dentist who is not at the practice now, but my current dentist has worked with my 1st dentist, she scared me a lot

I think I got some sort of anxiety and phobia about the dentist about what she thinks about my teeth, not matter how my ensure my teeth are okay, has she seen worst possibly, has she seen better yes.

getting the telling off for drinking soda which I admit I do (dentists can tell, so why lie), so have cut out the soda, crisps and sweets just for treats only when we go out (since I don't drink booze) I know the dentist is trying to help me keep my teeth nice.

I also get scared about the treatment I got to go back for a filling and sort another tooth out :( picked up from a X-ray.

I have a small mouth, overbite. I feel my teeth are a mess I don't feel like smiling, rarely feel confident around other people especially if I get asked to go out with someone at some point in the future because how I feel about my teeth and I think my teeth are the worst in the world.

Even though I go for appointments every three months for checkups. I have got a few fillings in my mouth at age 31 over the years (still I think it is many for my age and whether I should replace the silver fillings with white, implants, crowns I dont know) I know it important to get treated done as soon as possible. I am scared I might need dentures before I am 40.

I am not sure whether genes play a role in teeth, my Dad parents never took him to the dentist and his brothers. My Dad lost his teeth when he in his 40s. So this is one of the reason he wants me and my sister go to the dentist. My Mum also wants us to go the dentist, her teeth are okay for her age but had a lot of work on her teeth.

I keep telling the dentist my teeth are awful I am very embarrassed about how my teeth look and feel guilty. I also tell her, the assistant, reception staff I am nervous, scared, worried because each appointment is a trip in the unknown.

I have never question the dentist whether the treatment is needed since I am registered with a NHS practice and don't want to be asked to leave the practice for not trusting the dentist.

I have had some CBT in the past but this was when I was worried about my health as I was scared I have sometimes serious wrong with me, with a number of trips to the GP, number of scans and tests.

well. I don't have all the answer to your questions but I do have one that im going through right now. im 40 now and I just went to dentist after many many years. just like you I had bad childhood experience. its not I went for check up I went because I have to, I couldn't chew anymore. long story short, I have to extract all my top tooth and get a denture. I was feeling so bad that im only 40 and denture?.... but I found that soo many people in there 20s and 30s have dentures. its always best to save your own teeth but If you do happen to get dentures don't worry about it there is lots of people have them and if you google something like "denture scare" you going know lots of young people have dentures now days. its almost normal.:)
fyi, I don't have dentures now, I just extracted all my top tooth 2 weeks ago. I have to wait 5-6weeks to get a mold and get denture. so as im typing this , im toothless on top:)

Thanks for your help/reply

I think after I had my treatment to fix my tooth (and the other thing she wants to do) for my next appointment in July I am going to asked are there any techniques to help me stop worrying so much.

As with the other dentists I have had in the past, were six months appointments which of course I attended and got any treatment done as soon as possible, if I refused to go to the dentist my parents will dragged me to the dentist, even though I still live at home with my parents.

I think my parents are starting to worry about me as I been quite fearful since I been told I need some more work doing on my teeth last week. I don't feel I have nice teeth, even though my sister and my parents say my teeth are clean as there can be and just a few fillings in my mouth which does make me feel better for a bit.

I have seen worst teeth than mine

I am grateful for the dentist for switching me from six months appointments to every three months (since she been my current dentist for the last two to three years, whether this is to help me build up trust, catch problems sooner, for a 3 month cleaning because of my mouth being small, because I am worry so much etc.

However I was okay seeing a doctor last week about another problem what I wanted checking since I am health anxiety person. I could not really asked the dentist to do this for me

Last edited:
Even though I been going to the dentist for the last 30.5 years, not sure how months old I was when I went to the dentist but don't remember much of it as I was probably just only 1 year old not always the same dentist as a lot have moved to other practices or have retired. It just the shock I need some more work doing. A filling is a big deal for me (but like I have read it always best to get any teeth fix, repaired etc as soon as possible, saves more pain and less work for the dentist to do.)

There is a lot of things I have mention on the forum what could be causing the problem of my fears why I dread the dentist.

It is just I have got worst worrying before each appointment, even though I have had work done before.

Last edited:
Back