• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am a dental phobic... I was tricked and had my filling today!

M

Miki1975

I have always been terrified by dentists, ever since I had my first filling at the age of 6 and without anaesthetic!I had a few fillings since then and I was in such a state each time...my record folder carries the *NERVOUS* title on the front page!Last week I went for a consultation after nearly 2 years I hadn't been. I was quite confident that no work was needed because I brush my teeth 3 times a day and floss them every day. I bought a little dental mirror as well and a little torch to inspect my teeth...well, the dentist found a cavity between my first and second bottom right premolars. Because it was between the teeth, it wasn't visible, but by shininh a torch on the tooth I could see a shadow inside it. The decay had already made its way towards the centre of the tooth, that is, the nerve!! Panic!!!I booked an appointment for Friday 7th Dec and started to panic. The dentist also prescribed some Temazepan to be taken 1 1/2 hours prior to the appointment to help calm me dowm.I could not sleep, I was shaking, couldn't eat etc... My main worry was the dreaded drill...last time I had a filling I felt a sharp pain right at the end of the drilling, not a huge pain but enough to put me off going again and that was the main cause of my worries for Friday's appointment. I started searching every dental phobia website, dental supplies etc...I think I can go on a degree course in dentistry now, after all I have learnt in just a few days. I wanted to get familiar with the sight and sound of the drill. The thought was constantly churning in my head, while working, driving, cooking, every moment. My friends started to worry, my husband was worried too, I was making myself ill and looked dreadful. This morning, with 48 hours to go to the appointment I felt sick, really low. My friend Marcela came round at lunch time and persuaded me to eat something. She put the Temazepan tablets in front of me and said "look at them, they are going to help you!". She hated to see me in that state. Then when I finally finished my sandwich she got the tablets out and, in tears, she said "come on, now take the tablets, we are going to the dentist!". I jumped off the chair and said "shut up! What have you done? I can't go today, I am not ready!" Would I have ever been ready?? My husband, Dominic,was on his way back from work. They arranged it all. They had called the dentist cancelled the appointment for Friday and re-booked it for today. They didn't think I could carry on like that til Friday. I hated them and at the time felt thankful to them. After 1/2 hour panic, I started to get ready and we left. My husband had already asked the dentist to give me an extra dose of anaesthetic and to go slowly. And she did. She was very patient, I had three injections and didn't feel any pain. She stopped the drilling every 3 senconds to make sure I was ok. Dominic was also holding my hand all the time during the procedure. I really reccomend having a partner/friend in the consulting room if you are nervous. It's not embarrassing or childish, dentists are used to nervous patients and don't mind it. It gave me more confidence and I really wanted to have the filling done to show m husband and friend my gratitude for their "trick". I can't believe I did it! I felt no pain at all and I know I am going to sleep tonight and I don't neeed to go to the dentist on Friday anymore!!The Temazepan wasn't as strong as I thought, it is not a miracle drug, but it helped to calm me down and I wasn't shaking anymore. I would definitely reccomend it.

Wow! That's quite a story! I can only imagine how you must have felt after being blind-sided like that. Still, it's wonderful that you have people who care about you so much.

Congratulations on being able to go through with the filling! :jump:You should be very proud....not to mention relieved.:grouphug:

Congratulations on getting through your appointment so well, that really is a success story and it goes to show that dentists are human beings, just like you and me, and can be caring and compassionate. Well done, you have every reason to celebrate.:cheers:

Thanks for your kind replies and thoughts, yes, I am definitely relieved!! I would normally panic now, thinking that my appointment is in less than 24 hours, wheras in fact it's over!It made me want to do something for other dental-phobics like me...my sister-in-law is just as scared as me, but she neglected her teeth for so long that she doesn't want to go to the dentist at all now. I can't imagine the pain she is going through...I wish she found the courage to go, we can't force her, nor trick her like I was, she would just turn against her family if we did. Hopefully one day there will be an alternative to the drill, although I must say, yesterday the sound of the drill was different, not so scary, maybe they have improved the quality and comfort of the dental equipment after all.Good luck to all of you who have an appointment soon...TALK to your dentist, they are happy to help, they will go slowly. I thought my dentist was a bit too proud of herself and careless, but yesterday she was very reassuring, kind and understanding. Wanted to change dentist, now I don't!!

Micki, reading your message about your sister-in-law has made me think how possibly you could help without her thinking you're interfering though doubtlessly, the fact that you've faced your fears will be an inspiration to her and perhaps move her towards the right direction.

Anyhow, my dental fear was so great that it was actually 40 years that I avoided going (yes I am a wrinklie:)) and so in the end the embarrassment factor was way off the richter scale so to speak. So, I am wondering if you were to read through some of my journal and perhaps copy and paste extracts onto your computer and print out relevant parts and leave lying around she might read and it might help her realise that she could do it too. You could always say, if she said anything, that it wasnt meant for her, but you printed out to help yourself. Just an idea.
So pleased that you got through it anyhow and this is one of the marvellous things about this site, once people get through an appointment or so, their stories help others and want to help.

Congratulations on getting through your appointment:jump: It can be very hard when trying to convince others to take that step toward dental treatment if they are not ready. I think Scaredstiff's idea of printing out her journey is probably a step in the right direction. If at that time your sister in law is open to hearing more, invite her to visit our site. Many time people think they are the only ones that have such fears, or at least they feel that no one is as frightened as they are. I remember when I found this site....I couldn't believe that there were so many others that were dealing with dental phobia. I thought I was the only one and I was so ashamed of how I felt. But upon reading about others I found a way to go back to the dentist and not have that feeling of shame anymore.

Best of luck and keep us posted;)

They arranged it all. They had called the dentist cancelled the appointment for Friday and re-booked it for today. They didn't think I could carry on like that til Friday. I hated them and at the time felt thankful to them. After 1/2 hour panic, I started to get ready and we left.

Hey Miki the same thing happened to me a couple years ago when my mom thought she would be doing me a favor by going behind my back and making an appt for a filling and not telling me til the hour of the appt! ...except I didn't have drugs and I didn't see it coming like ever at all in the near future...in fact I thought I had totally dodged that bullet and it was old news...guess again lol I was furious with her when I found out she did that but I was still trying to hide my fear (although I'm sure she had a pretty good idea about it) and so I tried my best to play it cool and just go which I did and my dentist turned out to be amazing and everything turned out fine but I was still mad lol relieved after I had it done and overwith...but still mad lol. I was more mad that she didn't even owe up to going behind my back about it because she knows how I get with my appts and how I need time ahead to prepare myself and she just sprung it on me cause I had chickened out of a previous appt last minute and she pretended like she rescheduled the appt and just conveniently "Forgot" to tell me about it...yeah sure *eye roll*. Point is... good for you for getting it done and I'm happy to hear other people have had that sorta horrific experience where someone out of the blue is like..."hey, guess where we are going today?!" =)

I thought my dentist was a bit too proud of herself and careless, but yesterday she was very reassuring, kind and understanding. Wanted to change dentist, now I don't!!

hmm...do we have the same dentist?! LOL My dentist gave off that same impression when I first had the consultation with her and didn't want to go back to her because she had kind of put me off with her personality and than when I went to have the filling done (against my will) and she saw how scared I was, it was like she was totally different person and was soo reassuring and understanding and I fully love her now and wouldn't trade her for anybody else =) funny how that works! Congrats again on your accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself!
~Kitkat

Thanks to you all, the idea of printing off the journal sounds great, only problem my sister in law doesn't live very near...although I am seeing her for Christmas dinner at her parents' (my in-laws) and could always "forget" my printout by her handbag...:)

Hi Miki,

Well, if your sister-in-law has confided in you about her phobia before you could even just try bringing it up with her. You could (discretely of course) tell her about your experience with the dentist and how you found this forum and how it's been a help. You don't have to make it about her at all - if she wants to talk further about it, you'll have opened the door for her to walk through. Just another thought. =)

:grouphug:

I agree..

Hopefully one day there will be an alternative to the drill, although I must say, yesterday the sound of the drill was different, not so scary, maybe they have improved the quality and comfort of the dental equipment after all.

There are already alternatives but they can't be used in all cases. However I agree with you that the 21st century handpiece (drill to you) is much quieter and less threatening...at least based on my most recent experiences.
Congratulations in achieving so much so quickly and good luck with helping your sister in law.
:jump:

Wow you are so brave! I could never do that. I can't even get my words right to tell my dentist I'm scared and nervos, do I barley sit in the chair last time my dentist saw me was when I was due for a filling, when she used the word 'injection' I freaked and just broke down. It's hard for me as I have had so much trouble with my teeth in the past and I'm so young! I have the dentist on Friday and it's with my mum and brother, I had one booked in december but it got canceled I was so releved. But my brother takes the Mick out of me and it really upsets me as no one nos what in going through, just waiting in the waiting room freaks me out I shake my heart race just knowing that there going to call my name. I'm just so scared. You story has helped :) if anyone can help me please do :(

Back