• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

I am absolutely terrified about losing my teeth

L

Lewis11196

I went to the dentist around 4 weeks ago, had had some problems with my wisdom teeth but they were all fine. She cleaned my teeth and said that I have small signs of gum disease and that I need to be cleaning my gum line better etc.

Anyway I asked about a few teeth that felt wobbly and she said she wasn't concerned, however it's like everyday now that I seen another tooth looks loose... All it takes is some pressure on one side and I see it move as it did when I went to the dentist. I know she said she wasn't concerned but I do have serious health anxiety meaning I cannot stop worrying about it, they feel loose and I can see them move a little in the mirror when I press on them, I'm absolutely terrified of losing my adult teeth at only 23! There isn't any continual pain unless I mess about with my teeth which I know I shouldn't.

I can eat fine, my gums do bleed a little when I brush etc... I did actually go back in January for a check up and she didn't mention gum disease so I assume it's only started very recently. But feeling a lot of my teeth be slightly mobile and seeing the slight movement in the mirror, I'm absolutely distraught...

Should I be worried or am I just being stupid?

M

MountainMama

You are not stupid at all! Having the fear of losing teeth is a common one. It is one of my biggest fears also, and I have actually lost several molars recently, and am terrified to lose more. My front tooth had an injury to it when I was a kid, and I had a root canal and an apicoectomy. My tooth went through a lot, as it had a major abscess. I was convinced it was loose, but the dentist grabbed it and tested it for mobility. She said the slight mobility was completely normal.

Keep in mind, though, that your teeth are supposed to move a little. They have a ligament around them that acts like a rubber band. So some movement is normal. The more you "test" them, the looser they will feel. If your dentist isn't worried, then you shouldn't be either.

Dg6300

Dg6300

I’d get a second opinion. Trust yourself.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with DG6300, I would want to reassure myself and it doesn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion , it will only give you peace of mind. Different dentists have different ways of thinking and doing things. If nothing else maybe someone else may explain the whys of this and come up with a plan to help ? I don'tthink it hurts to ask?

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lewis,

as MountainMama suggests, teeth are slightly mobile all the time. No matter how healthy they are, if you test them, they will feel loose. There was a great explanation about this from Gordon, one of our forum dentist. I will take a look if I can find it.

As Dg and krlovesherkids suggest, if you feel your dentist might have overlooked anything, go for a second opinion. It might be also helpful not only letting them tell you whether it's ok or not but explain to you how teeth and gums work for you to have a bit of deeper understanding about this. Teeth are sooooo deeply anchored in the bone with very long roots, they can't fall out that easily even for people who have severe gum desease (which you do not have).

All the best wishes and keep us posted

L

Lewis11196

Thankyou for all the responses! Mentally I've calmed down a bit, still worrying though as I don't want to leave it and it be too late so I think another trip to the dentist just to put my mind at ease may be on the cards! Appreciate everyone's input, really has helped me calm down and take control

G

geos

Your dentist should also be able to explain to you what is going on which should help you calm any anxiety. For me, it's mostly the hygienist or the assistant that offer the best explanations. I remember once, my dentist's assistant was telling me that the same week her nephew had ask her the same question I was asking her. It calmed me down having an explanation from her, plus knowing you are not alone wondering about a specific issue also helps.

T

Taegguk

I went to the dentist around 4 weeks ago, had had some problems with my wisdom teeth but they were all fine. She cleaned my teeth and said that I have small signs of gum disease and that I need to be cleaning my gum line better etc.

Anyway I asked about a few teeth that felt wobbly and she said she wasn't concerned, however it's like everyday now that I seen another tooth looks loose... All it takes is some pressure on one side and I see it move as it did when I went to the dentist. I know she said she wasn't concerned but I do have serious health anxiety meaning I cannot stop worrying about it, they feel loose and I can see them move a little in the mirror when I press on them, I'm absolutely terrified of losing my adult teeth at only 23! There isn't any continual pain unless I mess about with my teeth which I know I shouldn't.

I can eat fine, my gums do bleed a little when I brush etc... I did actually go back in January for a check up and she didn't mention gum disease so I assume it's only started very recently. But feeling a lot of my teeth be slightly mobile and seeing the slight movement in the mirror, I'm absolutely distraught...

My tooth move a bit too