• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am going to have my wisdom tooth surgically removed on this Friday!!

J

Jane Dorothy

I checked with my dental that the anaesthesiologist will be there to give me sedation during the procedure. But I told them what if I have cold and I have sinus, they said not to worry as they might give me a breathing tube to assist me. I can't imagine what if I stop breathing or if my blocked nose are unable to take in oxygen?

You're getting sedated, not a general anaesthetic, it'll be fine.

Even if for some unforeseeable reason you had issues getting oxygen in, then there's an anaesthetist there to manage the situation, it's a routine part of their job to manage difficult airways (disclosure, my older son is an anaesthetist!)

Overall I am a healthy person. Meaning to say if I am sedated, I can't feel the pressure of the instruments? Will I need to count backwards for a normal conscious sedation?

Yes you can but you won't remember anything about it afterwards. Have a read of the IV sedation section on here.

No you won't need to do that.

Back