• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I Am Literally Sick To My Stomach With Anxiety!

A

adoption97

I need to have my 2 front teeth extracted (they are broken and badly decayed) BUT I have been a dental phobic since childhood (I'm 46 now). What has me in a state of sheer anxiety? The idea of having needles put into the roof of my mouth (can't even imagine how painful that would be) and the fear that it will take the dentist FOREVER to remove the two teeth. Can someone please offer me some helpful advice?

I feel you. I just got all of my top teeth removed. all 13 or 14. I was feeling sick just to think about injection. But I found this site and everyone was saying its not bad. its not the way I think of pain that I felt 30 years ago (yeah that's right, last time I went to dentist was that long, that's why I had to extract all my top teeth. that's how bad they were) I was really stressed out lying in that dreadful chair and looking at those syringe. im not really religious but I was praying. I kept telling myself that injection is friend injection will make you numb. And there goes the injection, my body tensed so much that I had muscle sore for 2 days. I had like 6 or 7 injections. when first injection went in it wasn't bad as I thought it would be. just little pinch for about second. I had worse pain eating hard toast. then 2nd one and 3rd....so on. everything was fine, just little pinch. one or two had some pain I admit that but nothing that'll concern. im a biggest wuss when it comes to pain. and that pain I took it like a champ. I had 1000000X more pain in my tooth before. My body was all tense so much during extraction not because of pain because of thinking what they are doing to me. don't think some people said take your ipod or something to listen to, that'll ease your anxiety. I didn't listen to any music because I have to ask doctor every move they make. (what you doing, how much longer? whats that you just grabed? etc) now thinking back I was too worried about nothing. if I had to do it again i'll just take my ipod and relax. so you can do it. I did it. if I did it anyone can. I just turn 40 and im not scared of any hospital stuff. I went through a lot(that's different subject) and I took it everything they did to me without question. but when it comes to dentist, I just break down. anyway. you can do it don't worry too much. Its just a pinch. and injection is your friend. I wanted more injection just to make sure that my whole mouth was numb.:)

Hello and welcome! Just to add, extracting your 2 front teeth should be very quick. I'd be very surprised if it takes more than 5 minutes after you are numb. In terms of the injections, there are a couple of things that help me (and I'm a HUGE needle-phobe). The first is that I will not look at the needles and I have made it very clear to my dentist that they need to be kept out of sight at all times and that I need some warning to close my eyes before the injections. The second thing is that most dentists will use a topical numbing gel first so that you really shouldn't feel anything from the injection except maybe a tiny little pinch. Also, just so your aren't surprised, dental injections are often given much more slowly than other types. This is a good thing because this is what makes of nearly painless and it also causes less damage to the surrounding tissue. I hope this helps some. Please don't hesitate to ask other questions if you have them.

Thanks for the responses. I wonder, though, because the 2 front teeth are broken and decayed, if that will the extractions HARDER??????

From everything I have read on here, that should not make the extractions more difficult at all.

I don't think it will be harder.. cause of my teeth was all broken up to gum line and all rotten, they didn't have any trouble.

Back