• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am scared

F

Fearfulteen

It is now a week after getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed, however, it felt weird to bite down. My teeth stick together and feel numb, they even feel as if they are about to fall out when they slide against each other. Is this normal or am I in trouble because I am scared.

Hi,
I am not a dentist but I do know that a procedure like that can put extra stress on your jaw and can cause TMJ issues (I think that is usually temporary). If that’s the case, your jaw may be coming together to close differently (this could be due to swelling/inflammation/strain) and that would make your bite feel different (possibly like your teeth are not meeting up in the right places). I personally experienced this after my wisdom teeth and it eventually corrected itself.

Thank you so much for replying. I was terrified that I might have messed up my teeth. Would it be save to eat regular foods today even though they are feeling like this?

It shouldn’t do any damage to your teeth but it may put more strain on your jaw if you are trying to chew regular foods which could cause the inflammation to get worse. I’d maybe stick with soft foods until things feel a bit more normal.

Fearfulteen,

I"m not sure what to say as far as the biting down but I did want to say I hope you get back to feeling better with the bite and recovery!

Thank you! That means a lot to me and makes me feel a lot better!

My oral surgeon provides an aftercare pamphlet for extractions and one of the things it says is that your bite may feel off for a while but that it will correct itself.

Keep doing the right thing.

You’re going to make it.

Hi Fearfulteen, how are you doing now, did things get any better since your last post?
Regarding the regular food, I think your intuition will tell you - if you see some food you feel might be ok to try, then why not. You will notice if anything doesn't feel right and can still stop..

Hi Fearfulteen, how are you doing now, did things get any better since your last post?
Regarding the regular food, I think your intuition will tell you - if you see some food you feel might be ok to try, then why not. You will notice if anything doesn't feel right and can still stop..
Things have gotten slightly better! The next day I had red spots all around me and my mom says it’s hives. I’m worried about that but for my teeth, the biting down stickiness is starting to fade! I was able to try some toast and it worked out great, just made sure to salt water rinse afterwards.

Back