• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

i am soooooooooo scared about getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow!!!!!!

L

lola8888

im 16 years old and i'm getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow and i am absolutely terrified!! i have been an absolute wreck all day and i haven't been able to stop crying. what scares me the most is the iv. i can't handle needles at all!! my oral surgeon said that he would put a spray on my arm that would make it feel cold and make it hurt less but i looked it up on the internet and it said that the spray only minimized pain by 30%! i'm the kind of person that needs their mommy to hold my hand while i'm balling my eyes out to get a shot. i've never had a blood test in my life because i'm too scared but now i can't avoid this iv. the other part that i'm scared about is the pain in the following days after the procedure. if anyone has any words of comfort about either of these things, i would REALLY appreciate it!! i'll be sure to post about my experience when i recover :)

Re: i am soooooooooo scared about getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow!!!!!![smiley=scared.gif]

OK let me say that don't research on the inter net all that will do is scare the crap out of you,also start taking advil(or whatever is perscribed to you)befor the numbing wears off and keep taking them as instructed and the discofort is hardly noticable.
You will be fine and I will be thinking of you.Sounds wier but take a blanket with you,it helped me to feel safe and comfortable.

Re: i am soooooooooo scared about getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow!!!!!![smiley=scared.gif]

Hopefully you will read this before you get it done.
Believe me it is a breeze. I was scared to death the whole week before and the morning of my appointment.
They do have a cold spray they can use that numbs the skin so you will not feel the needle.
You will literally fall asleep and then wake up on top of the world because you did it!
And like the other poster stated, take your pills before the numbness wears off and make sure to put ice on and off your jaws. The less swelling the less pain. Good luck. Let us know how you do!

hey everyone! i just wanted to let you know that i had my surgery this morning and i am completely fine! last night i was really scared and looking back on it i think that the anticipation of it was the worst part. When i got to the office i was so scared i was shaking! then i went into the room with the dental chair and a really sweet lady took my blood pressure, put a little thing on my finger (i think to measure oxygen levels in my blood) and put some oxygen tubes in my nose. all of that was completely fine! then the dr. came in to do my iv. this had been the part i was dreading! he sprayed some really cold spray on my arm (which didn't make me panic because it didn't smell like the usual alcohol that is used for shots and usually brings back bad memories for me) and i do have to admit that i started to cry a little bit but by the time the first tear rolled down my cheek, it was over! the dr. was sooo nice about it and totally walked me through every step and when it might hurt and when it was over! i don't even remember the stick of the needle! i just remember it felt like a paper cut on my arm for like 5 seconds when it was in my arm. then he put something in my iv and all of a sudden i started to feel really dizzy. i literally remember looking to my left and falling right asleep! my mom said that my eyes were still oven though and i got the hiccups haha! but i don't remember any of it! the next thing i remember was my dr. helping me outside into the car. i don't really remember the ride home but my mom said that i kept talking about how fun that was and how i wanted to do it again tomorrow hahaha!! then i came home and took some pain medication and changed my gauss. my mom helped me eat some pudding and i have been watching movies all day on the couch! i'm taking it pretty easy today! so i just thought i would share my experience! thank you so much to the people who responded to my post hen i was so scared! it really helped:jump:

:jump:yay for you:jump:.I am so happy everything went well for you.

Congradulations on a job well done:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:
Now get lots of rest for the next few days.
Again great Job;D

The last thing I remember is saying..........."I am so dizzy.........I don't like this" I tried to get up out of the chair and they said.........just close your eyes...........and then I woke up to them giving me my teeth! I was still out of it but awake enough to ask. Why are you giving me my teeth. They said I kept asking them to save them for me. Funny. I don't remember that at all!
Great job! :jump::respect::party: I am glad to hear you did excellent. Now enjoy the time to be lazy!!!

I am so sorry that I wasn't able to check in before you went to the dentist, to wish you all the best and try to allay some of your fears (being a needle phobic myself but having gone through IV). However, I am so pleased to read that it went well for you. It is so often the way, we worry ourselves sick because of our fears and imagine the very worst, and then not helping ourselves at all, but often making the position even worse, we trawl the internet reading up on people's bad experiences which seem to be publicised so much more than the much higher percentage of good experiences. I'm glad in your case it turned out to be the latter and that you came back to tell us about it, because it really, really does help others who have to face the same sort of thing.

So congratulations on getting through your appointment so well.

Congrats:cheers:

Congratulations lola and thanks so much for sharing your experience :jump: :jump::jump:

It is so often the way, we worry ourselves sick because of our fears and imagine the very worst, and then not helping ourselves at all, but often making the position even worse, we trawl the internet reading up on people's bad experiences which seem to be publicised so much more than the much higher percentage of good experiences.

And of course, we tend to add terms such as bad experience, horror dentist, excruciating, terrifying, and similar words to the Google search, which virtually ensures that only the worst experiences ever are returned :p. But yeah, obviously people who have normal run-of-the-mill experiences wouldn't be tempted to publicise them because they don't make for interesting reading. I mean, how many people would post about how they had successfully taken a disprin for their headache? I'd think there'd be a lot more posts and websites about rare and potentially fatal side-effects of disprin :rolleyes:

Well done.

I had one out today too.

They're never as bad as we anticipate them to be.

Hope you're healing well

xxx

thanks for all the support!! ;D

Back