• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I can do this!

S

Scaredyjo

So, I am 40 years old and the last time I saw a dentist properly I was a child. I have had emergency appointments but probably not for about ten years. I am absolutely terrified of the dentist. I have had some bad experiences in the past with dentists which has led me to avoid them at all costs.
I have finally bit the bullet so to speak and have my first appointment with a dentist tomorrow, so thought I would start a journal on here as a way of get to getting out my thoughts among like minded people.
My mouth needs a lot of work, I already know this. I have two teeth that definitely will need removing cos there is nothing left. I reckon every other tooth needs removing or filling. I have an abscess where one of my teeth that needs removing is and my teeth are badly stained. I am struggling to eat properly and have finally admitted I need to get this sorted.
I live in the UK but cannot get an NHS dentist near me so have had to go private, so I know it's gonna be expensive.
I guess my biggest fear is they are gonna have to remove all my teeth but will not be able to do anything due to the condition of my gums and I will be toothless for a few months but if I don't do this now I never will.
I work shifts at the moment but am moving to office hours in a new part of the company in 3 or 4 months so am telling myself now is the time.
So I have made an appointent with a private dentist near me for tomorrow. They have good reviews for people with anxiety and do payment plans for large sums of money so I guess they are a good choice.
Trying to tell myself that I am just getting the information tomorrow but wow am I nervous Let's see what tomorrow brings. I CAN DO THIS!

Hi,

Well done. You are courageous for making an appointment. You are on the right track so continue going in the direction of facing the fear and finding the right dentist with whom you feel trust and good rapport.
The check up appointment is as you said to hear information about your teeth but also about the dentist. Please allow me to share with you a film I made about that. It is called “fear of pain” and it is about how to know from the check up appointment whether a dentist is gentle and good in avoiding pain. Hope it helps.

Please keep us updated.

Congratulations! This is the most important and difficult step and you did it! I have an advance periodontal disease But today the science is really advance, Different methods and technique!. I just started my journey 4 weeks ago and I will tell you I thought it will be worst since my first appointment, like you I thought my dentist will says there is nothing we can do to save your teeth. Keep positive! the most important is you feel confortable with everyone at the dental office, specially with your dentist.

Good luck! You can do it.

You are already a success.

So I had my first appointment. I have to say I was absolutely terrified. The dentist and all the staff were really nice though and couldn't have done more to put me at ease.
The results weren't great but we're better than I'd hoped.
I need 5 extractions, 10 fillings and an inlay cos the tooth is too weak to crown apparently.
Obviously I also have periodontal disease and have lots of appointments with the hygienist.
The worst news is some of the extractions are together with a slot from a previous extraction and they cannot do a temporary denture for various reasons so I'll be toothless for 3 months which I'm not relishing the idea of but it's the top right back corner of my mouth so I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable.
It's gonna cost me £2400 including the denture and that doesn't even do anything about the horrible colour of my teeth wow. I suppose it could have been worse though. They do a payment plan too so that's good.
When I got out of the appointment I was booking hygienist appointments and they had one there and then so I said yes, can you believe it, and also had my first hygienist appointment which was a lot less painful than I expected. She said that my gums were a lot better than they could have been considering. I too have rather below the gum line but not as bad as it could have been. Weirdly my gums handled it fine. No swelling which is great news. So I didn't have to wait for them to die down before booking another.
I'm working on the premise that if I just steamroller on I won't have time to freak out, so I have another hygienist appointment tomorrow lunchtime. I'm working nights tonight and tomorrow so I'm hoping being tired will mean I'm less nervous lol. I have also booked both extraction appointments. One next Monday and one on the 1st July.
I'm doing this very fast but I don't want to give myself time to back out.
Still terrified and it's a lot of work but I'm hoping it will all be worth it in the end

Look at you. Such courage demonstrated.

Keep us posted.

Awesome! You should be very proud of yourself and keep sharing this new adventure.

Congrats and well done! I found the fact that you went straight to the hygienist particularly brave. Sorry to read about the cost, glad they offer a payment plan. I had no idea that a temporary denture cannot be made in some cases, hope you. It sounds like you are quite unhappy with the color of your teeth. Have you discussed the options for that?

You go! I like that steamroller analogy. I love that you got the cleaning then and there. It’s such a relief to have a plan. Well done!

Congrats and well done! I found the fact that you went straight to the hygienist particularly brave. Sorry to read about the cost, glad they offer a payment plan. I had no idea that a temporary denture cannot be made in some cases, hope you. It sounds like you are quite unhappy with the color of your teeth. Have you discussed the options for that?[/QUOTE
Not yet. It was brought up but he wanted to wait until my 'mouth is stable' to go through what will be feasible to do so there will be even more expense at the end if it all. Invoking that all,these cleabibgs and composite fillibgs will help a bit
in the meantime.

You go! I like that steamroller analogy. I love that you got the cleaning then and there. It’s such a relief to have a plan.
Thank you. It really is a relief, although still terrifying but hopefully less time to think and all that

Changing the colour of the teeth is something that is best done before fillings and teeth replacement as you would want your new fillings and new teeth to have the same color like your new white teeth (only an issue if any of the fillings will be on your front teeth). Anyway, if your next apt is a cleaning and then extractions, you will still have time to discuss this if you wish. I believe that while medical stuff goes first, if there is anything you really would love to change about your smile, it should be adressed as well. If you, after that feel that the costs are too high, you can still decide to put it off but at least asking is always a good thing.

Changing the colour of the teeth is something that is best done before fillings and teeth replacement as you would want your new fillings and new teeth to have the same color like your new white teeth (only an issue if any of the fillings will be on your front teeth). Anyway, if your next apt is a cleaning and then extractions, you will still have time to discuss this if you wish. I believe that while medical stuff goes first, if there is anything you really would love to change about your smile, it should be adressed as well. If you, after that feel that the costs are too high, you can still decide to put it off but at least asking is always a good thing.
Thank you, I will

When you make up your mind about something, you really charge at it full steam! Good for you! I do find treatment easier when I go more frequently and often. It’s when I’ve been away from the dentist for months that I get in my own way in my head with my anxiety. Good luck with the extractions! Glad you have had some positive experiences to build on as it certainly helps with making the next appointment. I also try to plan appointments around times when I know I will be drowsy so that I am less anxious and it actually does help!

I went back for my second hygienist appointment today.
I was really tired which helped my mindset. As I mentioned before I had been working nights so had 3 hours sleep before going but it meant I hadn't been up very long before going so less time to wind myself up beforehand.
I was still terrified and it wasn't very pleasant as she was doing more of the manual scraping today, which I hate.
She was lovely and did everything she could. A lot of my staining is ingrained and there were areas that she could not get to properly as one tooth is pushing directly on to another but it's a start.
I go back to see her in 3 months, after more of my work has been done as there were areas she was struggling to get to as one tooth was pushing on to another. I think it was confusing for her too, trying to figure out what tweth were being rekoved and such juy she is very experienced and really was lovely. I'm going to be seeing her every 3 months for a while now.
While I was there I saw the dentist who said hi and spoke for a minute before saying see you Monday. Which was was lovely of him.
The hygienist mentioned to me that the dentist had asked her to do What she could with the staining, which weirdly made me feel a bit better. I know my mouth is a mess and so my options at the moment are limited but it made me think at least it shows that they are all really trying to do everything they can.
I'm embarrassed and it's going to be a long haul even going through it as quickly as I can but I guess at least I've started.
First extractions on Monday. Not looking forward to that.
I'm going to keep going through this as quickly as I can. There's a long way to go and it's going to be hard to stay positive in this process but I am determined to try.
Just keep telling myself at the end I will have a healthier and more respectable looking mouth at the end.

Very well done, Scaredyjo, give yourself a pat on the back! It sounds like your dentist really cares that why he made sure to brief the hygienist before your appointment. And how nice your dentist spoke to you for a moment. I know it still feels terrifying and there is a big part of the journey, but it is important to give yourself credit for all the victories along the way. You are doing amazingly. Hope you can get some rest now and most importantly, hopefully you will reward yourself for this visit. All the best wishes and keep us updated.

Glad you got through appointment number 2! You are really trucking ahead! Those small acknowledgments by a dentist really can make a big difference in building rapport. There have been times when my dentist has been up at the receptionist desk and waved hello to me while I was sitting in the waiting room or just said hi to me in passing as I was walking back to the treatment room with the assistant and it always helps to put me at ease. Good luck with your appointment on Monday!

Back