• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I can do this!

Very well done, Scaredyjo, give yourself a pat on the back! It sounds like your dentist really cares that why he made sure to brief the hygienist before your appointment. And how nice your dentist spoke to you for a moment. I know it still feels terrifying and there is a big part of the journey, but it is important to give yourself credit for all the victories along the way. You are doing amazingly. Hope you can get some rest now and most importantly, hopefully you will reward yourself for this visit. All the best wishes and keep us updated.
Thank you. Working my last night shift but definitely ready to relax for a few days after this.

Glad you got through appointment number 2! You are really trucking ahead! Those small acknowledgments by a dentist really can make a big difference in building rapport. There have been times when my dentist has been up at the receptionist desk and waved hello to me while I was sitting in the waiting room or just said hi to me in passing as I was walking back to the treatment room with the assistant and it always helps to put me at ease. Good luck with your appointment on Monday!
Thanks. It really did help. Trying to keep it going. Fingers crossed for Monday.

One disagreement:

You don’t have to wait until the end, because right now you already have a healthier mouth. ?

Very well done.

That's a very good point. I will try and remember that

I agree, that those little friendly intereractions really build up trust and positive vibes with the dentist or whoever in the office. This is all great! you are doing really well!! :perfect::thumbsup!:

Had my first extractions today. Back upper wisdom tooth and the two teeth next to it. I was so scared beforehand. The dentist was lovely again.
I spoke to him about the staining on my teeth. He was saying some of it will he resolved with the dental work, one is a tooth coloured filling that is stained so will need redoing. He reckoned that whitening would help but I would need to do it after the fillings. He could always put the front fillings in slightly lighter but may not be a perfect match and may need to do again. Problem for another day but at least I know there are options.
So back to today.
I was absolutely terrified.
Two of the teeth came out okay. One did not want to come out. There is one lone little tooth left in that section that is due to have ceramic inlay. The tooth was touching it so he was having to be really careful not to damage it. Finally came out but really not fun.
I got through it although not gonna lie had a little cry when I got in the car. Dentist reckons those were the worst extractions so at least that's something.
Sat at home now with my swollen face, feeling a little bit sorry for myself truth be told, trying to figure out how long I should wait for a cup of tea and if putting some frozen peas on my face would prevent swelling tomorrow, cos he really was having a good old root around in there.

Wow! You are so incredibly brave and strong! You should feel so proud of yourself for making it though the appointment! It’s ok to have a cry afterward...it sounds like it was very stressful toward the end. The good news is you probably just survived your most difficult appointment and the rest should be smoother sailing by the sound of things. I would definitely put something cold on your face, it will definitely help with the swelling/bruising. Take it easy now and try to get some rest! Feel better soon!

Wow! You are so incredibly brave and strong! You should feel so proud of yourself for making it though the appointment! It’s ok to have a cry afterward...it sounds like it was very stressful toward the end. The good news is you probably just survived your most difficult appointment and the rest should be smoother sailing by the sound of things. I would definitely put something cold on your face, it will definitely help with the swelling/bruising. Take it easy now and try to get some rest! Feel better soon!
Thank you. That's what I'm trying to tell myself. I'm sat with frozen ice pack on my face which will hopefully help.

Well done! I think it's perfectly alright to have a little cry to yourself, but remember this, you did it! I hope you feel better soon :XXLhug:

Wow. You did so well.

You’ll feel better soon. Keep us posted.

So thought I'd put an update on the couple of days since the extractions. My face is slightly swollen. My gum is slightly swollen. My little lone tooth in that section is so tender and I am freaking out reading and rereading about dry socket in the info section on the website. I'm only two days after and yes, the pain is worse than yesterday and I have a horrinle yaste in my mouth but not agonising or anything and he did do a lot of ragging about. Can't believe I've got more extractions on 1st July but I guess it get a them over with and he has told me that the next ones should be easier. Wow, I hope so.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed at to the moment. I'm sure it will all be ok.

How is your face and gum doing? Is the pain getting better?
It's ok to go through a rollercoaster of feeling ok and feeling overwhelmed. Success in dealing with dental fear is not linear, even with a lovely dental team not. If you can, stay kind to yourself and allow yourself to feel that way.
If the pain is still there, it might be a good idea to get your dentist a call and get it checked.

How is your face and gum doing? Is the pain getting better?
It's ok to go through a rollercoaster of feeling ok and feeling overwhelmed. Success in dealing with dental fear is not linear, even with a lovely dental team not. If you can, stay kind to yourself and allow yourself to feel that way.
If the pain is still there, it might be a good idea to get your dentist a call and get it checked.
The pain is definitely getting better. Not perfect but nowhere near as bad so all good I think. I'm back for round two of extractions on 1st July anyway so they'll be able so have a look then but I think its just been sore from all the rooting around, at least I hope so lol.
Thanks for the comments about feeling overwhelmed I think it's true I'm gonna be this way for a while. Will try to keep ploughing on regardless. Delaying the inevitable would just make me worse as I also have anxiety with the unknown so double whammy. Will hopefully get easier once extractions are over with.

Last edited:
Hello and just wanted to send heartfelt congratulations to you on your amazing bravery in achieving so much in such a short space of time! Hope all continues to go well for you and wish you a speedy recovery from all the after effects! With love from all on here. Simon XX

Hello and just wanted to send heartfelt congratulations to you on your amazing bravery in achieving so much in such a short space of time! Hope all continues to go well for you and wish you a speedy recovery from all the after effects! With love from all on here. Simon XX
Thank you so much

So that is the second lot of extractions done!
Had my appointment this morning for last two extractions.
I was twice as scared this time, to the point were I nearly left without paying. I was almost running out of that door.
I think because there was so much trouble getting the tooth out last time.
Teeth came out fine. The dentist was really lovely as usual.
The teeth they took out did really need to come out to be fair. One of them was a remaining root and the other was basically half a molar. Its quite infected underneath so lots of salt water etc after today.
I'm hoping it won't be quite as horrible as last week was because they came out easier and were basically gone any way but I guess we'll see.
Next stop my umpteen fillings but at least those are the last extractions ( hopefully).

Congrats and well done! :jump::jump::jump: wish you a speedy recovery!

Wow. I just got a phone call from my dentist asking if I was okay. He said I looked really upset as I was leaving the dentist and wanted to check was all okay. How nice is that?

Congrats, I'm glad to hear that it went well and that your dentist took the time to see how you were after your appointment :jump:

Back