• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I can do this!

I love that too!! That is awesome and a great feeling he cares enough to call and check!!

Wow. I just got a phone call from my dentist asking if I was okay. He said I looked really upset as I was leaving the dentist and wanted to check was all okay. How nice is that?

Wow, my heart is melting. How nice and caring. Sounds like you have found a dream dentist. I think someone suggested that already, but if you haven't yet, make sure to leave a recommendation in our recommendation section (or send it to letsconnect and she will post it for you). More nervous patients need a dentist like this.

Wow, my heart is melting. How nice and caring. Sounds like you have found a dream dentist. I think someone suggested that already, but if you haven't yet, make sure to leave a recommendation in our recommendation section (or send it to letsconnect and she will post it for you). More nervous patients need a dentist like this.
He really is amazing. Will definitely leave a recommendation.

Had my first appointment for fillings today. A one hour appointment where he did two fillings. I was genuinely a nervous wreck before hand as it's a long time since I've had a filling and was fearing the worst. The dentist was really helpful as usual and did everything he could to put me at ease. He did the fillings a bit lighter as I'm going to try and whiten the teeth a bit and it will hopefully save having to get them redone. Then after the whitening I'll have to get my old fillings done as they are a mess now.
I feel like I've had a huge accomplishment today. To explain, because I am so terrified but know I need to do this I try to 'suck it up' beforehand which essentially involves me attempting to hide my fear from myself with denial, distraction and a body full of adrenaline lol. This means that after the appointment once I relax I basically fall apart and turn into a gibbering wreck. So today, I was genuinely terrified beforehand but calmed down while I was there and afterwards, didn't fall apart, I actually felt okay, who can believe it. This is gonna be a long terrifying process but today is probably the first day that I've believed my own heading. I can do this! ?

You are truly undergoing a transformation Scaredyjo! You have definitely found a keeper in your dentist. I know what you mean about trying to suppress the fear and crashing afterward. As you build a relationship of trust with your dentist, it gets a lot easier. The fact that you are starting to be able to relax during appointments shows that you are over the largest hurdle with this phobia. As you are going quite frequently at the moment, you may be getting desensitized to the environment as well which really helps!

Had another appointment for fillings. The appointment wasn't too bad. As always dentist really helpful. I think this is going to be a big rollercoaster to be honest. Left feeling a bit deflated. I think because my teeth are so badly stained. I'm starting to worry that I'll never be able to get them looking respectable without needing a second mortgage. Also the fillings has done are really good but look a very similar/ the same colour as my teeth. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I will and can do this and I'm being realistic, I know I'm never going to get the Hollywood smile at this point, but hopefully to be able to smile and laugh without having to try and keep my mouth closed, cover my mouth or realise I've done neither and get embarrassed afterwards would be great. Oh well. Long journey to that point I guess. Next appointment not until my next set of days off from work so 10 days off until the next ones.

Last edited:
Had another appointment for fillings. The appointment wasn't too bad. As always dentist really helpful. I think this is going to be a big rollercoaster to be honest. Left feeling a bit deflated. I think because my teeth are so badly stained. I'm starting to worry that I'll never be able to get them looking respectable without needing a second mortgage. Also the fillings has done are really good but look a very similar/ the same colour as my teeth. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I will and can do this and I'm being realistic, I know I'm never going to get the Hollywood smile at this point, but hopefully to be able to smile and laugh without having to try and keep my mouth closed, cover my mouth or realise I've done neither and get embarrassed afterwards would be great. Oh well. Long journey to that point I guess. Next appointment not until my next set of days off from work so 10 days off until the next ones.
On the plus side. All the dental work pushed me to stop smoking for numerous reasons including teeth staining, gum health and paying for all the damage caused. Its three weeks today without a cigarette and no nicotine substitutes so silver linings.

I think I recall reading somewhere that you can expect up to 7 shades of whitening to occur with professional treatments. If the fillings are somewhere in between those 7 shades they may not be that noticeable. You are doing so much for your health in the long term and that is what is most important. Smoking also highly contributes to teeth yellowing and aging so that alone will make a huge difference.

So. I was at the dentist for fillings yesterday and it went quite well. I left feeling a bit unsteady on my feet but quite positive really. Today I've just had something out of a bad dream happen. I was just brushing my teeth and was using an interdental brush between my teeth when horror of horrors, part of my tooth fell off. Not sure if it was tooth or filling or crown but the whole back section of my tooth just came off. Didn't hurt but if the nerve is dead it wouldn't would it. So now I'm freaking out that it was tooth and they're gonna end up having to remove the tooth. Please god. Don't wanna lose anymore teeth. Feels like I'm gonna wake up and it was all a dream in minute or at least I'm hoping so. I've Got another dentist appointment tomorrow so at least that's something but come on, enough now.

So. I was at the dentist for fillings yesterday and it went quite well. I left feeling a bit unsteady on my feet but quite positive really. Today I've just had something out of a bad dream happen. I was just brushing my teeth and was using an interdental brush between my teeth when horror of horrors, part of my tooth fell off. Not sure if it was tooth or filling or crown but the whole back section of my tooth just came off. Didn't hurt but if the nerve is dead it wouldn't would it. So now I'm freaking out that it was tooth and they're gonna end up having to remove the tooth. Please god. Don't wanna lose anymore teeth. Feels like I'm gonna wake up and it was all a dream in minute or at least I'm hoping so. I've Got another dentist appointment tomorrow so at least that's something but come on, enough now.

Oh, wow, sorry to read about the tooth, what a nightmare. If it helps, I had a tooth that broke many many years ago and I was sure it was beyond saving. Well, it wasn't, I got a crown and the tooth is doing fine. Glad you have an appointment tomorrow, hope your dentist will find a way to fix it.

Oh, wow, sorry to read about the tooth, what a nightmare. If it helps, I had a tooth that broke many many years ago and I was sure it was beyond saving. Well, it wasn't, I got a crown and the tooth is doing fine. Glad you have an appointment tomorrow, hope your dentist will find a way to fix it.
Thank you. Keeping my fingers crossed

Just had my dentist appointment and he saved the tooth ???. He put a filling in it amazingly. Three more fillings and the ceramic inlay and were on to cosmetic work, and denture

Glad he was able to save the tooth Scaredyjo!! Sounds like some positive momentum :).

Wow. I just got a phone call from my dentist asking if I was okay. He said I looked really upset as I was leaving the dentist and wanted to check was all okay. How nice is that?
Isn't that lovely! Well done....... When I lived in Surrey and used to see a lovely guy in Berkshire, he always rang me up afterwards to see that all was well and also helped me through a low patch too! Congratulations on your latest successes and wish you well on your ongoing journey. Love Simon XX

Back