• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

23 hr update.

Sleeping upright, couldn't do just propped up I kept sleeping on my side which is a no no, was NOT the most pleasant. I have sciatica. So after 2 hrs of trying to find a way to be comfortable, I had to pee, go figure. Decided to just get up, I may be the master of my bladder but not for however long I'll be asleep I'm not, and try again to eat something after. Super mini meatballs, did not go down great, but bone broth did! After this week I will never look at the little old lady down my street funny for saying a cup of bone broth a day is her secret to being 92 and being totally able bodied. It is magical. Also it's great at masking the taste of blood.

I'm trying not to perpetually freak out over the blood thing. Everyone including the dentist has said it's normal.

The implant site is covered with the essix, I'm still dreading taking it off. I know science says the graft and membrane sometimes make clotting take longer, several hours longer. The dentist kept telling me it was fine which was then followed by her reverting to my "aunt tone" and asking me to tell her all the reasons it is fine. Which went great, I'm armed with science! I was super calm until the low blood sugar and MEDICATION REMINDER alarm went off.

*Cue Anxiety... To the sound of some super epic music battling the science and logic. It's a great battle. Lord of the Rings should take notes!*

There's minimal soft tissue swelling. It's going really great. But my jaw muscles are totally shot. I don't have a "large" mouth and as a habit I don't open my jaws like I'm an anaconda about to dive into a giant sandwich, so having to open my jaw so wide she could safely work in there... Hello chapstick my new best friend, don't tell bone broth though, and don't tell ibuprofen!

But I did it. Naturally since my normal state is to panic now like it's an Amazon prime day deal sale and they're selling Costco sized portions of it... I need to fixate on the next task and imagine the worst. How do we remove the retainer. What if we remove it wrong! What if we put it back on wrong! What if IT NEVER GOES BACK ON!!!!!! Then ok, I get it off, now comes brushing. Maybe we can start off with a simple let the water sit with a little salt, gentle swish and save the brushing for Sunday. It's not like I've actually eaten anything other than 1 tiny meatball, 3 cups of broth, and 1 soupy cup of egg drop soup. I've been drinking water after each "meal" and it feels like all I do is drink water.

It's almost time for my MEDICATION REMINDER alarm. Will update later.

@mariyam So glad stuff went well! You did a great job! Your dentist sounds amazing too. It is so good you were able to find one who didn't try to press you for unwanted anesthesia or sedation too. Do you still have to have wisdom teeth taken out on the other side? Do you know if you had bone cut or drilled for the lower extraction, or if it was just the tooth?

@NervousUSA thank you. Yes I feel so fortunate she's so understanding. The lower one had to be cut a bit, just the top crown. It kept getting snagged and she' didn't find it an issue enough to cut the gum. She did stitch them up of course. It was just so loud so I decided to drown the noise with music. The top one came out with mostly ease. She did use a lot of local anesthetic. The left wisdom teeth came in straight and aren't touching the neighbor molars. It seems all my issues are on the right side. Strangely my right side migraines are always the worst and I never thought about it until now but it probably had to do with all the work they had to go into the right side.

I'm still feeling how surreal it is to have gone through all that. It's like I'm in disbelief I did it. I drove myself to and from the appointment and out to the pharmacy and back to get my Essix Retainer for my frontal implant.

I managed to get the retainer off and on with little issue. And gently brush my teeth, well most of them. I was terrified to go near the extraction sites but I managed to do a salt water gentle rinse.

I have a deep fear of my own blood so that was challenging enough.

I've been drinking water it feels like nonstop but i know hydration is important plus it probably helps keep the soup particles from sticking around too long. The idea of eating is still so unappealing to me but meds don't go down so well on an empty stomach.

@mariyam You did so well! I'm impressed you drove yourself. Sounds like a huge part of what you have to do is behind you too, since you don't have to extract wisdom teeth on the other side. That is the right idea not to brush the one right next to the extraction site. Maybe you would like ice cream or apple sauce? Though soup and bone broth definitely sound really good for you. Hope you are continuing to recover well today.

@mariyam You did so well! I'm impressed you drove yourself. Sounds like a huge part of what you have to do is behind you too, since you don't have to extract wisdom teeth on the other side. That is the right idea not to brush the one right next to the extraction site. Maybe you would like ice cream or apple sauce? Though soup and bone broth definitely sound really good for you. Hope you are continuing to recover well today.
Thanks! I am. I've been managing with just the ibuprofen and Tylenol to top off any excessive discomfort. My whole jaw feels achey which of course translates to my teeth hurting and waking up in terror that they're going to fall out. Have I mentioned my brain likes to give me new and increasingly terrifying things to be anxious of?

I got some scrambled eggs down. Biting is still not something I want to do no matter how soft the food.

2 days 9 ish hrs post op

The pain is very manageable with the ibuprofen I got prescribed, if it bothers me a bit much I take some Tylenol in between. There isn't much in the way of swelling, but there is some jaw soreness which translates into "OMG the rest of the teeth are going to fall out this is the worst decision I ever made" then I take a deep breath and remember, I had surgery, obviously parts of my face will hurt, just because I don't SEE swelling doesn't mean the nerves and muscles and ligaments aren't swollen, bruised, tender. (Full disclosure: I often times forget to breathe then I text my best friend in full CAPS and incoherent sentences and I get the reply of "breathe, you're fine, just BREATHE")

I tried some wild rice and mushroom bisque soup. The rice was a terrible idea. I don't know, it just made me panic that they would tear out the stitches. I made it 3 spoons in and gave up on the rice and only had the bisque it was floating in. I really don't know how you're supposed to take meds with a meal when the idea of a meal is unappetizing.

I've managed to brush my teeth! Taking out the retainer is definitely the peak of stress. Brushing is a close second. I managed to tolerate a bit more toothpaste than this morning, huge improvement from the hint of toothpaste from last night. Salt water now feels soothing. The water still needs to me lukewarm. The taste of mint sends memories of the putty.

Kefir smoothies were filling and that served as lunch. Kefir and blueberries.

I'm craving pancakes, I have no idea how I'll even eat that. Maybe oatmeal will have to do. Very very soupy watery oatmeal.

I've been streaming Andor all day as a way to distract myself from too much resting. Sleeping is still proving weird, if I lay down too flat I feel the fluids start to pool so my inner child is still doing the happy dance at the pile of pillows I have to sleep on.

3 days 10 ish hrs post op

I'm feeling exhausted. Outwardly I look fine so anyone who sees me must think I'm just faking being exhausted. But literally healing 3 extraction sites is exhausting. It's more mental than physical. My brain is still trying to process everything that has happened in the last 2 weeks. It'll be 14 days since I first stepped into the dentists office for the start of the journey. It's a lot to take in.

Food and I are still not friends. The taste of blood is still there though there is very very minimal bleeding and the idea of getting food anywhere near stuck fills me with so much panic I'm just considering this as a jump start to the weight I'm supposed to be losing.

Smoothies and broth are the best. They have to be room temp and not winter room temperatures, proper room temperatures. The difference between say California winter and a Vermont winter. No Vermont temperature foods.

The pain is managed well still by ibuprofen and when it bothers me a bit much or I can feel myself tightening up in anticipation of pain I take a Tylenol. It's worst mid day.

I try to keep talking to a minimum but it's difficult.

I've run out of new shows to marathon when I wake up at midnight and can't get back to sleep. I've been having this issue for the last 2 weeks so knocking out my "to watch" list was a breeze.

I snagged one of those neck roll pillows they look like a tube. It's helped keep me upright. Laying flat makes me totally nauseous but I can at least turn a little without pain now.

4 days 2 hrs post op

Pain is still manageable. I've developed my yearly "hello cold weather" phlegm. Warming up the room helps tremendously. Waking up at 2 am to take my meds only to have to stay up an additional 2 hrs because I had phlegm building up was not particularly pleasant but it did give me a chance to reflect on everything. Coughing gently is terrifying. So to distract myself from the terror of coughing my brain has made me feel as if my whole mouth is foreign. Thanks Anxiety brain! Why worry about what is actually happening when I can worry about more imagined things.

The tartar that was removed spent years there gently pushing my teeth out from alignment. I know it will take a large amount of time to feel comfortable with my mouth because since the tartar is gone there are gaps. I can live with the gaps for now, I can't afford braces yet. The gums were cleaned and they will take time to tighten up. Sensitivity is normal, think of all that yuck blocking the tubes. Despite all this. My lovely brain has said "nope you made a horrible mistake should have never had a deep cleaning see it all hurts now, it all feels different now". The sensitivity and tenderness are supposed to be normal. The was so much (positive) trauma in 2 weeks of course my mouth is a little freaked out. But all this logic goes out the window once the panic hits. I have to consciously tell myself you are ok, your dentist would have told you if there was something wrong. It just FEELS weird. You're just not used to healthier gums. Like any relationship, you now have trust issues but hey the important thing is to try to get over them and be like "I'm in a healthy relationship now! Leave me alone toxic thoughts." That talk of "you should have never had the deep cleaning or any work" that's the toxic ex trying to saying you'll never find better and you NEED them. Cause that's what we all need, to go back to the toxic relationship.

Another trigger was a lady in choir had a sibling pass away from sepsis. I then just had to Google dive about that and stumbled on dental work. Brilliant said my anxiety, let's add that to the menu. But again, I'm on antibiotics! I'm ok. I'm just perpetually hangry and freaked out right now because I can't eat properly. No matter says my anxiety, low blood sugar? Hangry? Google dived too much? All perfect for the purpose of making myself more needlessly terrified. So to counter this I think about how far I've come.

So much has happened in the last 2 weeks. Yep exactly 2 weeks now. Hard to imagine how far I've come so far. Deep cleaning, filling, 2 wisdom teeth extractions and a front tooth extraction with bone graft and implant placement. I've managed to take off and put in my Essix Retainer half a dozen times now. Food is still a challenge but as someone who has never particularly enjoyed crunchy foods soft foods are only a few days away from comfortable reach, I hope. Eternally cautious but I have rediscovered my love of smoothies and it has given me a chance to play with soup stock bases for the season.

Those carnation instant breakfast smoothie things are a life saver when the idea of food wandering my mouth still leaves me wanting to cry.

But I'm healing. I'm growing as a person. I am keeping my eye on one step at a time. I can do this. There's no real turning back is there. One step at a time. It's ok to take a break. It's ok to need to catch my breath. But I need to keep moving forward because what I was doing before doesn't work. The hauntings of regret, fear, wanting to go back in time, those aren't going to change what has happened. It's ok to be afraid, but I know what I need to do to move forward. I can do this. Just one step at a time.

Last edited:
I dropped back in to see how things went for you. It sounds like it was really scary, but you did it! And very good job on finding such an awesome dentist! I hope your mouth heals up quickly. :) Do you have anything more to be done? You've had so much done already. You can do it!

Last edited:
@CarolinaAnne I still have a root canal to do and the end process for the implant. I'm having anxiety about the root canal of course. I'm slowly absorbing how much has happened in 2 weeks and I'm definitely feeling all the emotional aspects of it. It's almost like grieving. It's a totally nonlinear process where I go back and forth between self blame, crippling fears, celebration, and just exhaustion. I try to hold onto the positives. But there isn't any turning back just pushing forward.

5 days post op

Hitting an emotional wall today. I still can't cope with semi solid food. The texture of anything substantial, not even requiring chewing, sends me crying and needing to set my relaxation breathing app to 2 minutes. I suppose 2 min is an improvement though from 10.

I managed to brush now with minimal shaking.

I know I need to eat or at least get nutrients in me, it's not the food I find panic inducing. It's this image I have in my head that it'll get stuck where the wisdom teeth used to be and I'll spiral into a doomsday scenario, I can't even bring myself to type it out.

So for now smoothies on a spoon are my friend. I try to stay away from any excessive sugars. Someone said to try mashed bananas. Maybe I'll manage to get myself to the store to do it. The person who is supposed to be helping me out has decided recovery time was an average of 3 days from all the people she asked and now I'm just faking or being purposely negative. How can I be so afraid when I didn't even have any dramatic swelling sort of thing.

Not everyone will understand the fear, but that doesn't mean it isn't real. Why are normal people the least reasonable in understanding things.

I slept for the first time a good 6 hrs. Still upright.

I know this will take time. It's only been 5 days. I'm doing pretty well by my estimate. I can manage very watery mashed potatoes, loads of egg drop soup, I can drink smoothies and shakes. Do I miss solids? Of course I do but I'm also in no hurry to send myself into a panic attack for them.

Despite the wall, I have an optimist outlook. I've come so far. Maybe now I need to just appreciate the view from where I am on the mountain. I just need to get settled at my base camp. That's sensible right? I need to acclimate to my new normal. I need to stop regretting the past and fearing the future and be present now. Truly congratulate myself for where I am. I am half way there. The up coming climb is steep. It's going to have all new territory that I need to be open to tackling. But I want to make it to the top. I can do this. I know I'll have so much regret if I don't.

@mariyam Ah, the emotional wall! I know it well. I had the exact same thing happen, wherein I was so worried about my extraction sites getting debris in them that I didn’t eat. I think I went four days without any actual food (before taking an ill advised protein shake; I have a dairy sensitivity, and it had milk LOL)

My best advice is to just take it slow. Don’t try to force yourself to do anything you’re not comfortable with. Soup is definitely the best friend of us after extractions. Something that helped me was my counsellor reminding me that the mouth is the fastest healing body part on our bodies. And our mouths are pretty tough! I mean think of what we’ve put them through over the years. Think of what normal people put them through over the years! (I mean surely corn on the cob isn’t the nicest thing for a mouth to deal with right? LOL)

Even now, a little over two weeks post op, I’m still dealing with some food issues (I don’t really want to eat food on my left side because of that pesky inflammation.) Healing isn’t linear, and it’s a really big (but good) trauma your mouth went through. Some days are going to be better than others.

I’m sorry your support system decided to tap out after three days though. Ugh. Normal people seem to not understand that those of us with anxiety know when we’re being irrational or afraid, but it’s not like we can just stop it on a dime. It’s like when someone says “oh just calm down!” as if we hadn’t though to do so :rolleyes:

You got this! Look at that optimistic outlook! You’re doing great. Mostly certainly you should be congratulating yourself on this. You’ll be fine.

7 days 8 hrs post op

@APhobicQueen Yes. The wall. It's like this gigantic storage wall of "hello have you considered THESE things to be petrified of? no? well now you have, YOURE WELCOME MUAHAHAHAHA"

I totally agree about how normal people act as if we can just turn the anxiety off. Like wow, thanks for telling me to just "get over it" or "why do you need to be like that" it never occurred to me to just, "get over it" and "not be like this" thanks sooooo much! If we genuinely just treated these things the way people treat visible issues maybe we would have less anxiety all around because there would be more acceptance and education. And we have so much to heal from. Mentally and physically it's absurd people think we should be just fine and back to normal based on an average recovery.

Oh no about the shake! I also have to watch for allergy warnings. Soy is a hit or miss with me. I can tolerate only a small amount then it's not so great.

My teeth feel so weird to me right now. It's like I'm having to get reintroduced to my own mouth which is pretty accurate, some things have changed afterall. I think my brain is trying to be helpful in the most awkward way possible. Before, the retainer felt alien. Now, when I take it off, my mouth feels strange as if it doesn't understand my upper teeth without plastic on it. Since I have to have the retainer for the next few months I guess it's better that my mind has accepted it. I know someone who also had the same issue and whenever he took off his retainer the feelings upset him so much he decided to do away with it entirely. That however isn't an option for me, but at least I know the "alien teeth" feeling isn't something no one else has encountered. I tried to explain it to my dentist and she said not to put too much thought into it until I see her tomorrow for my sites check up. She wants to make sure I'm healing well and (I suspect) actually eating something and haven't starved to the size of a toothpick because I was just adamant that it would be impossible to consume ANYTHING even water a week ago.

The side of my face with all the work that got done is only minimally achey now. Mostly I have to make sure I don't put a lot pressure on it, it doesn't hurt, but I feel a bit uncomfortable. I can actually feel my cheek bone as opposed to earlier in the week when I had to really concentrate to feel the bone.

Food, ah yes food, how I miss food, but the blender and I have become close friends now and having everything be the texture and consistency of baby food actually isn't too bad. I did try about 1/4 cup of macaroni and cheese in it's actual form, the macaroni was so well done it may as well have been baby food textured though. It didn't require chewing and it had some substance but eating it "room temperature" just isn't as satisfying, but I'm glad I know I can eat that without panicking.

Speaking of panic, thanks Anxiety brain! What would I do without you? Oh I know, have a non racing heart beat, be able to breathe without an app telling me In and Out, oh and most importantly: not be freaking out over a site check up appointment. I've of course imagined that the check up will reveal I've seriously messed up, I'm actually supposed to be curled up in a ball in pain, and I've managed to totally screw up my healing timeline. Why? Because my anxiety just won't let me be. I like my dentist. I've left her raving reviews of how amazing she is. I totally trust her. But does that stop the anxiety images? No.

The anxiety thoughts are seriously taking an ogre/troll form rampaging on my serene base camp on my journey mountain. But I'm trying not to actually entertain the images and fears. I'm just letting them float around. They're going to be there, lurking, and I don't know how long it'll take before they stop lurking, but in the meantime I'm not letting it (totally) take away from my accomplishments so far. At least, I'm trying as hard as I can not to.

A little over an hour before my check up. Anxiety has come back. Part of me doesn't even want to go. I feel ridiculous. I survived just fine the last appointments. This is an appointment to make sure I'm healing properly. Literally I'm just on the verge of crying. Come on brain you can do this. Pull it together. Think happy things and positive things.

It's been over a week now. The stitches came off Friday. There's some concern that my gums are thin but they're still ok.

I still have random twinges of pain now and then but the week long antibiotics and 1800mg ibuprofen is done as of Friday night. I've been managing with Tylenol every 12 hrs. Saturday I was just so exhausted from talking. I got a lot of reassurance thought that I'll get used to the sensation of the missing wisdom teeth. A retired dentist told me it's indeed in my head, but anatomically my body is still getting used to the idea of missing something so it's like my nervous system goes into PANIC NOW WE ARE INJURED for a split second. (Because all I need is more panic on my brain). I've also had a really horrible sinus congestion issue, courtesy of my allergies, so that isn't helping relieve pressure which causes more nerve PANIC NOW sensations.

Food is more tolerable. Mac and cheese (exceedingly well done and soggy) is my current go to now.

Cue.... *Guess who's back... Back again... Anxiety is back... Grab the puffs again...*

If I don't cue tacky soundtracks to the on going saga of my fears I would be left with just the sound of sobbing.

Dentist called. My insurance authorized the RCT for the tooth next to the now implant. Logic states: the root is dead, do you want it to get worse? Do you keep something dead and growing bad bacteria? No you get rid of it. It's a root canal. Like a filling but kinda more invasive.

Right? RIGHT!!!! Come on brain think positive thoughts. Come on brain you can think happy thoughts. Come on brain... No no brain don't start to freak out now.

"But oh" says my anxiety... Have you considered the myths and saying about root canals and they hurt hurt HURT have I mentioned... People say they HURT...

This is 2022. Dentistry has advanced beyond the stone ages. There's anesthesia!

But didn't the dentist say it might take 2 hrs?

Yes because the anesthesia needs time to take effect? Maybe the dentist doing the procedure like to be thorough? Maybe she wants you to sit there an extra 30 min to make sure you don't pass out?

2... hours

Yes possibly 2 hrs. Like they booked it in a 2 hr block to make sure you don't pass out and you can ask for a break if you need to! Do you want her to double book? And 2 hrs is an estimate ... *Insert sound of doom* yes an estimate...

But this dentist who will be working on my RCT has done my fillings and she was very nice. Very quick but light handed.

I survived the bone graft and implant placement... Surely I can muster up the courage to survive RCT.

Speaking of implant. I can't cope to look at the site. I know the gum is thin. I know it is also still ok. I also know dentistry has solutions. But I still can't do it. It's ok. I'm ok. I can do this. One step at a time. Brain stop making problems when there aren't any. Come on. Think... good thoughts.

Cue.... *Guess who's back... Back again... Anxiety is back... Grab the puffs again...*

If I don't cue tacky soundtracks to the on going saga of my fears I would be left with just the sound of sobbing.

Dentist called. My insurance authorized the RCT for the tooth next to the now implant. Logic states: the root is dead, do you want it to get worse? Do you keep something dead and growing bad bacteria? No you get rid of it. It's a root canal. Like a filling but kinda more invasive.

Right? RIGHT!!!! Come on brain think positive thoughts. Come on brain you can think happy thoughts. Come on brain... No no brain don't start to freak out now.

"But oh" says my anxiety... Have you considered the myths and saying about root canals and they hurt hurt HURT have I mentioned... People say they HURT...

This is 2022. Dentistry has advanced beyond the stone ages. There's anesthesia!

But didn't the dentist say it might take 2 hrs?

Yes because the anesthesia needs time to take effect? Maybe the dentist doing the procedure like to be thorough? Maybe she wants you to sit there an extra 30 min to make sure you don't pass out?

2... hours

Yes possibly 2 hrs. Like they booked it in a 2 hr block to make sure you don't pass out and you can ask for a break if you need to! Do you want her to double book? And 2 hrs is an estimate ... *Insert sound of doom* yes an estimate...

But this dentist who will be working on my RCT has done my fillings and she was very nice. Very quick but light handed.

I survived the bone graft and implant placement... Surely I can muster up the courage to survive RCT.

The list of MUST DO
-regular deep cleanings Next one in Feb.
-fillings they are small so don't wait until they get bigger
-wisdom tooth, she doesn't WANT to take it, I saw the x-ray, she NEEDS to take it or I can wait until it really hurts the molar next to it

-root canal, the tooth is dead, I've known this, it's likely caused the NEXT listed issue, why keep the diseased root, THEY HAVE ANESTHESIA, THIS IS 2022, SHE HAS REVIEWS THAT RAVE ABOUT HER PAINLESSNESS, YOU SURVIVED THE DEEP CLEANING WITH JUST THE SWISHY NUMBING STUFF!
-the failed root canal. It's been there for 26 yrs. 26! It's loose! Wishing it to not be loose won't do anything. I need it extracted. I hate that word. It makes me feel, hollow, helpless, completely vulnerable.
-I need a bone graft. You can't NOT have bone where there should be. I need a post and implant.
*look at this list, isn't it neat? wouldn't you think my list is almost complete... wouldn't you think I'm the girl.. the girl who... curls up in a ball crying because I do not know if I can keep going through this journey... wait what?*

I wrote that list on Oct 12.
I had met my new dentist on Oct 11 and got a deep cleaning.
I met her partner dentist who did my fillings Oct 19.
My dentist did my 3 extractions, bone graft, and implant post placement on Oct 21.
I got the stitches taken out Oct 28

I've done so much. The last on the "must do" list is the root canal. The cleanings are a regular thing, something "normal" people do REGULARLY to avoid issues. The crown for the implant will be sometime around February or March.

I need to eat correctly. I need to sleep correctly. I need to keep my anxiety in check. I do NOT need to panic repeatedly. But here I am, in full panic mode. Terrified that a dentist, a perfectly capable, caring, thorough, dentist who is partnered with my "usual" dentist will be doing a root canal on me. Why am I so terrified? Would my usual dentist really partner herself with someone who doesn't share her views on dentistry? It's her practice, a small practice she worked hard to open. Do I really think she would throw caution and care to the wind and pick some random name out of a hat for a partner? Someone she would entrust her patients to? No. I don't honestly think she would be so careless. She's assured me that I will be fine. I know her reasons for cutting back on appointments and I admire her for that. They are health reasons. Again, would she really partner herself with someone who doesn't match her own skill set? The dentist doing the procedure just happens to want to block 2 hrs. I understand it's to make sure if anything goes wrong, her only focus will be me, her one patient. I wouldn't demand a shorter appointment time for any other medical professional why should I think a "large" block is supposed to be bad? Maybe she's estimated that I will try and run out the door the first 30 min and she'll have to tackle me. I need to stop reading about all these "quick and fast" root canal procedures because that isn't me and really, I don't think I'd be very comfortable with being booked for just 30 minutes. Doesn't it take time to do all the rooting around?

I've had a root canal. I was 10. I was injured. I was terrified. But I was calm because it was my aunt. Does it always go back to me wishing my aunt could still be my dentist? Is that what this really is still? After all this time? After all these positive experiences with major dental steps? But I can't have that. The best I can do is be comfortable with what I have now. And I am. In moments where I am not hyperventilating, I know I have found a good dental home. I know they are going to take care of me. I know that. But the anxiety, it remains. Lurking. Waiting to trip me as I walk. But I know deep down I can do this. I've gotten so much accomplished. I'll of course do what I always do, it's become almost a ritual now. I panic. I cry. I think "maybe if I just don't go it'll be fine." I let logic kick in as I walk into the office. I know my usual dentist may not be there but she has entrusted her "baby" her practice to someone and I have been treated by them and they were good and kind and nice. I can do this because I have to.

Who wants to keep something that will cause further harm in them? Not me. *Says with a level of uncertainty but with more confidence that an hour ago*

I really think the partner will be OK. It's very hard to see a different dentist though, very stressful. It feels a lot better when you can stay with someone who has treated you before and you know it will be OK. Like you say, though, it is not like you are having to see some random dentist at a new place you have never been, this is the partner of someone you know is good and trustworthy, and they trust them. So the partner dentist has the best possible "reference" if you see what I mean. I know it is hard though. I am so freaked out by the idea of switching dentists that I am bothered even by the idea of going to a practice with more than one dentist. I think you are doing really well reasoning with yourself about this.

@NervousUSA yes in my logical part of my mind I know she's a great dentist. I mean you don't partner yourself and trust your patients with someone you don't also think is great (or even more skilled than you are). And I've worked with her before so she knows I'm a nervous patient. It's definitely a feeling of "I need to get to know someone again!!!" But the reality is maybe root canals are her thing like fillings! I know my dentist's thing is surgery and wisdom teeth.

Deep down under the panic is knowing that she just wants to be thorough and thorough is better than a rush job.

Back