• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I Can't Believe I Did It....Massive Thankyou

M

Maj34

Some of you guys I have to thank massively for your stories on this forum, you have helped me get through these last 6 months and without this site I feel I would never have done what I did today.

For anyone who's read my story I had to go for the tooth extraction of a molar this morning. I had root filled quite a number of years ago by a dentist who scared me so much I never went back, having already had a fear of dentists he never treat me as a nervous patient just another number and at one point reduced me to tears.

Having found this site I read over and over success stories, hints, tips and guidelines even up to last night before my appointment today. To anyone with dental fear over my few appointments at the dentist advice I would recommend is:

1. Find a dentist who is use to nervous patients, I changed my dentist to one 2 bus rides away and I cannot express how thrilled I am with this dentist

2. Read success stories on here, its what got me through

Now to my success of the final treatment today, my appointment was at 9.15am and I had to catch 2 buses so the journey there was without doubt the most nerve racking but I took my ipod and texted a friend all the way there.

The nurse called my name and the dentist already had numbing gel prepared as I had rung last week and expressed a wish to try it. She already knows how nervous I am and whats happened previously so she started to discuss exactly how this tooth was coming out. It was a Molar bottom left side. She placed a cotton swab covered in pink cherry flavoured numbing gel into the areas she was going to inject and left it in place for a good 5 minutes and then said the injections were coming. I felt pressure a tiny little sting (totally managable) and she sent me back to the waiting area while the numbing got to work. 10-15 minutes later I was called in and she explained due to location she was going to do a further 5-6 injections around the tooth but only the first would sting a little and again managable. She then told me to set ipod up so I would relax more and within a few seconds my ipod ear piece came out so I just said sod it lets get it over with. I was told I would feel pressure, but her hand supported my jaw all the way through. She said beforehand she would try the traditional method of getting it out first and if all else failed I would need a cut and stitches. I felt the pressure I was told to take deep controlled breaths and I could tell she was pulling one way then the other. I heard cracking of the tooth and I always imagined I would hear this cracking in my head, not so I could tell it was from the tooth. Top came out with half the root and then all that remained was the last part of the root to be taken out piece by piece. Literally within 10 minutes the tooth was out and not a scrap of pain and no stitches :). The dentist and dental nurse chatted away about holidays and she had said to me imagine your on a beach (this helped a great deal)

I now realise why people on here said the worry is of the unknown, last night I went to bed early and woke at 4am, 5am and finally got up at 6am panicking of what was going to happen. I need not have worried at all, I did more waiting around than the procedure itself. My face is swollen at the side of where the tooth was pulled but this is because the tooth wanted to come out in the wrong direction. I'm now home waiting to take pain relief and biting down on my 3rd piece of gauze. Sent the hubby to shop for icecream and chemist for more gauze at the advice of my dentist.

I must say a really really massive thankyou to Carole on here, your private messages to me have helped me through today, thankyou so much for the advice and responding.

I suffer from argrophobia, depression and nervous disposition and if I can do this with only numbing gel and LA i'm guessing most of you guys can too

:thankyou:and good luck to anyone due to have treatment soon, its not as bad as you think....honestly :) xx

WhoooooooooooooooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooo :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: how good do you feel right now, I am so happy for you, I am almost jumping up and down myself, :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: CONGRATULATIONS :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: I hope you decide to still come and visit us on here when you have time, we enjoy your company and I for one have got used to seeing you on here now, :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: you may also be able to help someone else that is as worried and frightened as you felt :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: I wish you a very speedy and pain free healing now, get some rest today and pamper yourself. :star::star::star::star::star::star::star: I am still here if you ever feel the need to pm me. :star::star::star::star::star::star: WELL DONE YOU :jump::jump::jump::star::star::jump::jump::jump:

WOW Congratulations!!! You did fantastic! So happy all went so well for you! :jump::jump::jump::cheer::welldone::welldone:

Thankyou :) I will still log on here Carole it's been a great help and will probably continue to be a great help in the future.

I feel so relieved I did it, had a little pain nothing major with the painkillers working. The only thing thats bugged me since getting home is the headache probably from the anxiety I worked up before and while I was there.

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

Oh I know that headache only too well and will be having it next week again. I think it is the release of tension and I am sure the numbing stuff does it too. I always find after a nights sleep I feel much better. :bear:

Follow the extraction aftercare instructions and I am sure you will be fine. I bet you feel like a great weight has been lifted. :hug5:

You did it! Good for you!! :jump:
Carol is awesome! ;D

Congratulations! ;D:jump::jump: You did really well. Thanks for posting such a great story; I'm sure it will help lots of others too :thumbsup:.

Oh I know that headache only too well and will be having it next week again. I think it is the release of tension and I am sure the numbing stuff does it too. I always find after a nights sleep I feel much better. :bear:

Follow the extraction aftercare instructions and I am sure you will be fine. I bet you feel like a great weight has been lifted. :hug5:

Headaches gone, can't say I had a good nights sleep though must have woke 6 times with a little ache plus sleeping elevated is not my thing or the fact my hubby turned over in the night and knocked it. I feel totally weightless at this moment in time and so thrilled :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9: its over. Stuck to the instructions she gave me though she has confused me. In the surgery she said I could use any type of mouthwash but the leaflet states HOT water with 1 tsp of common salt and rinse 5/6 times taking 5 minutes 4-6 times a day. So far used the ordinary mouthwash, the salt waters got me confused :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi Maj34 I have always been told to use warm water as warm as I can stand it, not hot, with a spoonful of salt in, just put it in you mouth and let is wash around don't swish it, I tilt my head, then let it spill out into the basin, do not spit, this can dislodge the clot that has formed in the extraction site and you don't want that to happen at this stage. Do the salt water rinses as often as you can but at the very least 3 times a day. The salt water will help with healing, my dentist told me not to use mouth wash until I was healed, I don't use it anyway, but as you have mentioned it I thought I would tell you what my dentist told me. The 5 or 6 times your dentist mentioned are good.

I am glad you have got rid of that headache, shame your hubby was clumsy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: in the night. Take painkillers as you need them, no point in suffering.

Happy healing thinking of you, Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: :grouphug::dance2::dance::dance2::butterfly:cha cha cha, this is the dance of CELEBRATION that we all have to do at some time, come on now. :giggle:

must say a really really massive thankyou to Carole on here, your private messages to me have helped me through today, thankyou so much for the advice and responding.

I suffer from argrophobia, depression and nervous disposition and if I can do this with only numbing gel and LA i'm guessing most of you guys can too

I know aint our Carole lovely, a one woman support unit...she was instrumental in me starting to get my work done too !

Considering the issues you suffer from, flippin 'eck you really are a shining example of what can be done. Just numbing gel and LA !!! :jump:

Thankyou for making it a little clearer for me Carole, these are written instructions with the word HOT in capitals and no way was I attempting hot water :giggle:

Yes Carys Carole has been wonderful for me too along with this forum, I think it's right when others say find the right dentist don't think I would have gone had she been as evil as the last. I definitely would have cancelled.

Good luck to you guys still awaiting treatment :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: :XXLhug:

I am glad I could help with the instructions, I think you would be in a merry pickle if you had used HOT water, anyway I hope you continue to heal well and painlessly.

This forum is very good, and it is good that we can all get as much support back as we give, I had a bit of a wobble last weekend and thanks to everyone on here, I managed to come to terms with a treatment I need but didn't want, so THANK YOU all. I have also been able to vent about previous treatments I have had over the years and it's good to get things off my chest and listened to. :butterfly:

Good to hear that you're following the instructions: Ice cream after extractions is a must!

;)

I've never eaten as many ice creams in my life as I have this week :giggle:

Congratulations!

That was very brave of you! Glad you've found a dental practice that treats you well. Hope everything is healing well.

Thankyou Traveller :) all seems to be healing well at the moment other than a sore lump on outer gum near extraction, only hurts now if I go poking or catch it but hopefully that will settle in a few weeks :thumbsup:

Back