• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I cried at the dentist today

C

cryingatthedentist

Okay so I’ve never been the best with dental hygiene but I’ve always been relatively okay at the dentist. About 2-3 years ago I had to get a tooth extracted. I remember feeling okay about it but the thing that freaked me out was the fact that I needed to be numbed three times before the pain went away completely. But overall after the numbing worked I was fine.
This brings me to today: my first time at the dentist since then. I knew I would need some fillings but the dentist informed me that I would need one of them removed. I signed the paper and she numbed me, then started poking around asking “does this hurt” etc. It still hurt so she numbed me again. Then she got to work. I should mention that I had one dentist and two dental assistants (I think one was training) and for some reason having three people instead two was a bit nerve wracking (I have anxiety). Anyway I’m laying there with three people staring at me and I start to feel a minimal amount of pain where she’s trying to extract my tooth. It’s not excruciating but I can feel it. I start to debate in my head if I should say something, then I start to wonder if the tiny bit of pain is even real. Such a weird feeling I can’t even describe it. I try to just focus on staring at the ceiling when I feel my hands start to shake and the tears start falling. Everything stopped. One of the assistants was dabbing my tears with a tissue and all of them were very reassuring. The dentist asked if I was in pain and I said “I don’t know” because at that point I didn’t even know if I was experiencing pain or anxiety. “Scary?” She asked and I nodded. They gave me a short break and then she poked around a bit more asking if this or that place was sore and it wasn’t. By then I had calmed down a bit and she got back to work. It felt like it took forever but the tooth finally came out.
I literally feel so embarrassed about this but the dentist and dental assistants were really cool about it. Anyway I have another appointment in 2 weeks to get I think 3 fillings. Hopefully I don’t cry again?? I’m really scared about pain now to be honest because that’s now two appointments where I’ve needed to be numbed more than once. Like I said in the beginning I used to be so relaxed at the dentist and now I’m just not.

Sadly this is how phobia starts

Please reflect on the fact you managed and got through you did amazing

Fillings are much simpler than extractions or at least i think so

I think you did really well and you should be proud of yourself for getting through it. I seem to have a high tolerance, so I need 5 or six injections before he can start work. The worst bit is that my gum ends up like a pin cushion and I can feel and taste the anesthetic running into my mouth and down my throat. This means that besides getting over the numbness after the work has been done I feel quite sick for hours afterward because I assume, what I have swallowed. Don't get me wrong, I have a great dentist and he works as quickly and safely as he can. I find it difficult in today's world that they haven't come up with a one-shot solution.

Back