• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

i did it again

H

happydancyfeet

Former Member
Well folks................. I did it again and went through with my treatment, after  a wee bit fuss in the waiting room.  The dentist came and went through the procedure with me (not a good idea but it had to be done).

She explained that she would try and fill the back tooth and that she may have to just dress it for now :scared:  My answer.........i'd rather have it taken out now....rather than go through having it filled etc and then going back for extraction.
I explained that i was scared of having the two front lower ones descaled as they are a bit loose and worried they might break off. Again she admitted that this could happen but she would do a root treatment on the one :scared: :scared:  I asked if these could be left for now..............as i'd rather wait and have them extracted at a later date and immediates fitted, which she has agreed to do.. But I DID ask her to fill an upper front tooth for me and that has been done.

My lower teeth feel weird after the descaling/deep cleaning..... I stll have more to be done tho. ( I was numbed for this too)  My only concern at the moment is the site where i had the tooth extracted.  It looks huge................much bigger than the tooth was!  I have had a few niggles there but have taken iburofen?  I was told not to take dihydrocodeine  :confused: ( which works wonders for me)
Oh and Ive come back with a horrid cold.

At one point, I thought I'd get up and leave but at the moment...........i'm glad I didnt.

Congrats Happy :jump: I hope I will do as well next week. I started freaking out this morning when I realized a week from today I will be there. I hope I will be able to muster up the courage to discuss all my problem teeth :scared:. Seems like everytime I go, especially for treatment, I just get so nervous that I can not say anything except OK. Iknow I need to tell him about my fear and about the pain I have been feeling in other teeth, besides the one I am going to have treated. I only have 9 teeth left so I think a root canal may be in my future :scared: :scared: as I want to save what I have left, but I need another extraction I will freak out :scared:. I am hoping I just need a filling, which is just as scary, as the last dentist to do one hurt me alot :scared:. I just hope I will be able to tell the dentist about the experience and not just say ok to everything and shake like a leaf. :thumbsup:

Hope you are feeling better. :)

Thanks freakout.....I do feel better.Had a 40 min snooze and just eaten some home made veg soup.

I was nervous this morning too freakout, even after taking the diazepam, but I went in prepared.........Id written a list of all the things I wanted to mention and gave it to the nurse. The filling I had done today was not even scheduled...... I ASKED for it be done cos it had started niggling me. and I didnt want it to spoil my Xmas!! Like you....the last filling I had done put me off going for a long long time.hence the position I'm in today.

Ring them a couple of days before and explain everything to them, write it all down too and hand it to them when you go. And go a few minutes early.that way you can give them your list and discuss it with them.
Good luck for next week.......I'll be thinking of you :XXLhug:

Fantastic happy! Way to go! :jump:

Just curious: when you said in your first post that there was a moment that you thought you would get up and leave, was there anything in particular that made you decide to stay?

Hope you are feeling better. I can't imagine a cold is all that fun to deal with right now. :XXLhug:

-James

Happy - sorry I haven't been around lately, but I was thrilled to read that you did it yet again! That's fantastic news - well done :jump:!!!

Just curious: when you said in your first post that there was a moment that you thought you would get up and leave, was there anything in particular that made you decide to stay?

I remember sitting in the chair and telling them that I was still scared that I would feel pain ( on the last visit at a different clinic I felt the injections in my mouth....very painful)

Helen assured me I'd be fine this time. So in a fleeting second we had decided that I had come this far,ie....... had the sleepless night, very anxious morning, and I was sitting in the chair, and just decided ... " ok, I'll try it again but If I'm not happy, next time I would ask for a general to have them all taken out and be done with it....but hang on.... I would still have to go through the anxiety beforehand" They were all being so nice to me and very supportive that I felt I owed them to give it a go!! I didnt even feel the needle being put in my arm and even looked to see if it was in :o I felt absolutely nothing regarding the treatment.

I think it also helped knowing that Helen asked me about my fears about every aspect of my future treatment and explained alternatives etc. I asked her not to touch the lower front tooth during scaling and she didnt....we'll address that when the time comes, but she knows I'm petrified that the tooth will break when I have the lower impression done for the front two teeth which is my choice rather than have root treatment ( I even asked her if the tooth could somehow be bonded to the next one but she said thats not necessary). My biggest fear is going for the impressions, having the tooth break and having to have treatment without sedation as this has to be booked well in advance .I just dont want to take the chance of having this done and being in pain between treatments as I think this will put me off for years again. But, I'm gaining confidence with Helen and hopefully this will continue :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply lets,
These messages of support do really help.

Happy-

Your posts are very encouraging to read. Even if you are only posting to vent, I believe you are helping others out there. These are the quotes I am pulling from your last post:

happydancyfeet said:
Helen assured me I'd be fine this time.
happydancyfeet said:
They were all being so nice to me and very supportive that I felt I owed them to give it a go!!
happydancyfeet said:
I think it also helped knowing that Helen asked me about my fears about every aspect of my future treatment and explained alternatives etc.
happydancyfeet said:
But, I'm gaining confidence with Helen and hopefully this will continue

I am so happy (pardon the pun) that you seem to have found a gentle dentist who listens to your concerns and is making you feel better.

Keep up the great work! :cheers:

-James

Well thank you James..........it's good to think that I'm helping others even though I have a long way to go yet.

I'm actually thinking about asking for another appointment before xmas because the lower front tooth which is loose is niggling me and I'm so scared that it will break off and leave me in agony. I'm petrified that if this happens, I wont be able to get an appointment for Iv sedation seeing as they are so busy :scared:I really wish I'd asked her to take it out last week, but I didnt want to be left over xmas with another gap at the front.and I thought I'd be ok till New year :(
I wasnt given a follow up appointment last week....that will be sent through the post, (hopefully soon) and I can ask her advice.

Just to add....my partner has just told me that, according to helen, my next appointment wont be untill the new year.God knows how I'll cope in the meantime. Ive been having panic attacks all day with uncontrollable shaking. I always seem to take one step forward and ten back!

Hi Happy!

Just wanted to post a little message of support for you, I posted on here for the first time last week, and you replied so quickly and with such support I just wanted to return the favour I guess! James is right, you are such an inspiration to all of us (well, me at least!) for coming as far as you have, and well, don't feel so bad, one step forward and ten back is better than none forward and ten back! ;) And you're still a step ahead of me, I'm hoping to have the courage to send my first email to a dentist today! (Just came on the site for courage first!) Think how far you've already come! Sorry to hear you've not been doing so well today, try and take each minute at a time and all will fall into place (I try telling myself that as well, hopefully it works for you!)

Thinking of you! :)

Thanks for your message of support lotus..its really appreciated. Hope you've managed to e-mail that letter :thumbsup:. Let us know how you get on :XXLhug:

Yikes............... the other dental clinic has just rang me to give me an appointment for tomorrow to have the impressions done :scared: I've had to decline and explain to her that i'm scared that the tooth will break during this. This nurse suggested having a dressing put on beforehand but i cant bear the tooth to be touched. And I'm still not at the point where I could have anything done without sedation. The nurse understood completely when i explained that i didnt want to be put back to the stage I was at and she agreed. So now I wait for another sedation appointment and will just have to have that gap for xmas...............(theres a song about that isnt there ) thats if they can fit me in. I feel at a loss now and really low.

Back