• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I Did It! First Filling Ever With A Needle!

J

JazzyJ

The needle wasn't bad at all. I still squeezed the hell out of my mum's hand out of fear lol but pain-wise, it was much less painful than a blood test.

I'd be lying if I said it was completely painless. I don't think he waited long enough for the numbing, because my lips and tongue didn't go numb until halfway through the process, and I stopped him three times because I could feel some pain and I was freaking out. It wasn't agony or anything, but I was very nervous. It was only a small filling though, took about two minutes including me stopping him three times. I actually accidentally bit down on his drill because of how nervous I was, so I am worried about next time, because he said next time is three to four times deeper. All in all, much better than I expected, but not perfect. Still, I am proud of myself :) the first one is over.

Congrats JazzyJ! It will be easier next time now that you know what to expect. It is my experience that it is harder to get numb on the bottom and the more anxious you are the less effective the anesthetic seems to be. I'm glad that you were able to stop him and he honored your request. Remember you can always ask for more time or more anethesia.

I had to smile at you biting the dentist's drill. I did exactly the same while my teeth were being drilled. I was so tense but completely unaware of what I was doing!

Back