• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it! I finally got my implants!

• Thread starter Fear Is Not An Option
  • Start date
F

Fear Is Not An Option

So I've been trying, for close to a year now, to get a full mouth restoration with the all-on-4 implant procedure. Some of you may be familiar with this.

Anyway, because of a severe dental phobia (actually it's a fear of vomiting that makes me terrified of the dentist) I kept having to cancel appointments, rebook.... I even walked out the last time my surgery was scheduled, which was about a month ago.

Yesterday, I did it! Finally! They removed all my failing teeth, replaced them immediately with a mouth full of dental implants. Upper and lower arch secured permanently (only the dentist can remove it) with 4 dental implants each.

This was all done under IV sedation. Didn't feel a thing, don't remember a thing other than someone telling me to, "OPEN OPEN OPEN!" lol

I don't have any pain whatsoever, no bleeding, no swelling, no bruising... and most importantly for me, no gagging, no nausea, no vomiting, nothing. The only discomfort is the sides of my mouth are slightly torn. That's it! And I'm finding it difficult to talk and eat properly with my new teeth because my mouth isn't used to all these teeth and my tongue doesn't yet know exactly where to go.

To think I had blown this up into an out of proportion fear that just terrified me so much.... it was really nothing. I thought for sure with this kind of extensive dental work that I would be in excruciating pain, my head swollen like a watermelon, etc. But no, nothing. I am perfectly fine. Had I not let the fear take charge, I could have smiled like this a year ago!

So listen, to those of you who also need extensive dental work but are big fat scaredy cats like I was, please don't put it off. It's never as bad as we make it out to be in our heads. Not if we take the time to find the right dentist and explain very clearly what our concerns are.

I'm SO happy! I can smile again! :yay::yay::yay:

That's wonderful news! Congratulations :jump: on your new smile!!

I must admit I'm a little envious your implants were the immediate load; I'm going to be at a year before mine is complete. LOL! How nice though, to have it all done at once and well done to you for getting through it!

Congrats again!
:cheers:

Thank you!

Well, it kind of did take a year to get mine.... because I was so terrified! LOL

Had I known how easy it all would have been, I would have done it much sooner. Instead, I chose to give into irrational fear, and suffered needlessly.

Congratulations!
What great news :) I'm so happy for you that you were able to have the immediate implants. Mine will take a few months. I'm encouraged that your recovery so far has been positive. Yes, smile!
Best Wishes!

Thank you!

Today I'm a little swollen, a little sore, and I have one tiny bruise on my chin. But the discomfort is minimal. One regular Advil every 4 - 6 hours has been managing the pain just fine. And ice packs are so soothing.

So, the day of surgery I had zero discomfort. Yesterday, day after surgery, still no discomfort. My gums felt "tender" under the teeth but not painful, nothing that required pain medication.

So far, this had been MUCH better than I expected. I have suffered WAY more with endless abscessed bad and broken teeth.

Well done

Success stories like yours are an inspiration to others like me that are just getting around to going to the dentist!

:jump:

Keep smiling

Thanks Alison. In retrospect, the anticipatory anxiety is worse than the actual dental work. For me this was the case.

Congrats are in order to you :jump::respect::jump: for getting the work all done in one procedure i am truely envious of you ill admit i have not had any work done but that will all changed soon very soon so wish me luck and again Congrats to you enjoy youre new smile :)

Thank you, Mikey! I love my new smile and had I known how easy it would have been, I would have had it all done a year ago instead of wasting all that time scaring myself beyond ridiculous, and putting my body and mind through all that stress - for nothing!!!

Please get the work you need/want done. Don't let fear stand in your way. Dentistry has come such a long way and as long as you have a good dentist who listens to your concerns, there is no reason why you should have to be anxious or uncomfortable. It's just not necessary. Now, I realize not everyone has the option of IV sedation, but even just oral sedation works wonders. So don't be afraid. (I know, easy for me to say NOW :giggle: )

Oh and an update....

Today is Saturday and I had my surgery Monday. I'm back to normal, no pain or discomfort at all except my upper jaw under my nose still feels a little tender and stiff.... but nothing to speak of. The swelling is completely gone. The one bruise on my chin is still there but half the size it was. I'm chewing well and speaking better. I was without teeth (most broke off at the root) for over a decade so all these teeth in my mouth take some getting used to. Oh and I can eat everything, although I have to limit my diet to things I can cut with a fork for the first month, to ensure the implants and bone integrate properly. So I can't eat a raw carrot or tear into a crusty pizza yet but in a month I will !!!! :yay:

I will i just gotta get the exam out of the way i found this website that tells you how to be calm before and during an appointment ill keep you posted and let me know how everything else goes kay

Back