• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it!! Successful surgery

G

Former Member
Hello all!

Success! All four wisdom teeth are finally out with no known complications! (I even got to keep my teeth, which was my request...very nasty looking things)! I was under IV sedation, and went out fairly quickly. I was given oxygen to help stabilize me. By the time I came through after the procedure, it felt like only 20 min. had passed. I had gauze stuffed in my mouth, so talking was quite fun. (Anyone who has ever seen the movie "The Princess Bride", might recall the minister with the really bad lisp toward the end of the film. Yeah, its like that for me now...well that and its fun to watch me try to eat and drink. I dribble alot).

The surgery was extensive, and it ended up being 1 1/2 hours. My lower wisdom teeth were more of a challenge.

I am at rest....groggy, but awake. My lower lip feels like the doctor shoved a steel brick in it, but other than that...all is fairly well.

Today, I have a new memory. The painful memory from 29 years ago when I was five is still there, but no longer carries the power of PTSD! Thank you to this site, for all of your help. My gratitude is beyond words that you will even know.

Blessings to those who are still afraid. You are not alone. Be strong...even if it takes a while. IV Sedation is sooooooooooo goooooood.

- S.

Portland, OR - USA

:jump: :cheers:

Great news! Congratulations! Well done!
Glad it went well.
:cloud9: :cheers:
G.

Hey there "GD",

Thank you. I wanted to mention that by the time I started waking up, I was asking for the doctor - wondering if he had started yet.. He had left, and apparently was on a coffee break or something of that sort! Geeezzz. Before he had got started I spoke with him one last time, asking him to take good care of me. I was soooo scared. Prior to the surgery, he was very compassionate, very gentle. Very different experience.

I cannot believe, that as terrified as I was, I don't even remember anything of the procedure itself. What I do remember was the prep, the very nice lady med-tech, and the general attitude of the office staff in making me feel comfortable - all of it was beyond compare.

Dentistry has changed...it just took me 29, 30 years to discover it!

- S.
Portland, OR - USA

Back