• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it!

M

Mikeysgirl

Hello all..I have been reading a lot of your posts but up until now have stayed quiet.i have been paralyzed with fear.but I wanted to share a huge accomplishment with you in order to help anyone else who is anxious about dental work. Just got back from an appt that I have been dreading for a long time. My journey is still ongoing, but I feel pretty good about how it's going. So...background...the usual story, I have avoided going for a long time and now my mouth is a mess. I decided that I needed to conquer this...that I deserved to live without the dental pain and embarrassment. In the fall I got the courage to make "the call" Shaking, sweating, etc..made the appt, it wasn't for six weeks.(phew, lots of time to chicken out) Miracle of miracles I actually found them courage to go to the appt. dentustvwas loveky. Kind, compassionate, made it through the 2 hour new patient regime. I was shaking and panicked before during etc..but did it. Then the bad news..2 extractions, 1 root canal and 8 fillings. I was crying in the chair, certain I could not do this. I am terrified of needles, cannot handle the freezing sensation and have emetophobia along with anxiety about swallowing blood etc..how was I going to do this! They ended up booking me in fir consultation and initial cleaning for feb. appt came and I was terrified. bUt I made it through hour and a half cleaning. First one in ten years...so tiday I started my first step in the restorative process..went in and had FOUR fillings at one time. Faced the needle, the freezing and sat through 2 hours of drilling and everything else. It was extremely emiotionally difficult, had a panic attack after needle but then buckledvcdown and somehow got through it. I am very proud, next appt is the other four fillings. After that its root canal and then the extractions. But I feel like I just climbed the highest mountain and am so proud of myself. We can do anything if we take it one step at a time. Thanks for listening...

Hello all..I have been reading a lot of your posts but up until now have stayed quiet.i have been paralyzed with fear.but I wanted to share a huge accomplishment with you in order to help anyone else who is anxious about dental work. Just got back from an appt that I have been dreading for a long time. My journey is still ongoing, but I feel pretty good about how it's going. So...background...the usual story, I have avoided going for a long time and now my mouth is a mess. I decided that I needed to conquer this...that I deserved to live without the dental pain and embarrassment. In the fall I got the courage to make "the call" Shaking, sweating, etc..made the appt, it wasn't for six weeks.(phew, lots of time to chicken out) Miracle of miracles I actually found them courage to go to the appt. dentustvwas loveky. Kind, compassionate, made it through the 2 hour new patient regime. I was shaking and panicked before during etc..but did it. Then the bad news..2 extractions, 1 root canal and 8 fillings. I was crying in the chair, certain I could not do this. I am terrified of needles, cannot handle the freezing sensation and have emetophobia along with anxiety about swallowing blood etc..how was I going to do this! They ended up booking me in fir consultation and initial cleaning for feb. appt came and I was terrified. bUt I made it through hour and a half cleaning. First one in ten years...so tiday I started my first step in the restorative process..went in and had FOUR fillings at one time. Faced the needle, the freezing and sat through 2 hours of drilling and everything else. It was extremely emiotionally difficult, had a panic attack after needle but then buckledvcdown and somehow got through it. I am very proud, next appt is the other four fillings. After that its root canal and then the extractions. But I feel like I just climbed the highest mountain and am so proud of myself. We can do anything if we take it one step at a time. Thanks for listening...

Great job! I'm going to the dentist today to get one molar pulled ! I am terrified!! I don't know what to do, if I should get the gas to help me relax or just do it!

if you are not nervous about the gas then I would do whatever you think will help you get through it. sometimes its not all about trying to prove how strong we CAN be or SHOULD be but whatever helps us get through it for our own mental health...good luck, let us know how it goes..

Good job!!!! I m really happy to read posts like these, this forum helped me so much and i know a lot of other people too. The first impact is hard, dentalphobia and its consequences is really ugly.. Now that you made the first step you should be very proud of yourself.. Still it can be difficult to hold on but no more shame and pain in the future!

if you are not nervous about the gas then I would do whatever you think will help you get through it. sometimes its not all about trying to prove how strong we CAN be or SHOULD be but whatever helps us get through it for our own mental health...good luck, let us know how it goes..

I just got out!! They took my tooth out and I'm sore. I didn't do the gas. Now I'm going home to rest!

Back