• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it!

S

Scarednai

Thank you to all who have shared their stories it really helped me go ahead and actually make an appointment. I hadn't been to the dentist since I was 17, I am now 39. I hadn't been in any pain, I recently noticed a black mark on my gum line which terrified me. I became so anxious I really couldn't cope and became quite terrified this mark was my total focus. I knew I would have to get it checked but was so scared. I read some of the stories on here and promised myself if I did go I would add to these to help others.

I went,

IT WASNT THAT BAD!

I found a dentist with excellent reviews and signed up. I couldn't make the appointment. In the end my boyfriend did it secretly and told me an hour before I had to go! Scary but at least I couldn't dwell on it!

By the time I arrived there I was shaking, sweating and trying my best not to run out the door or cry! The receptionist was lovely very patient and kept talking to me to distract me.

My boyfriend came in the room with me when I got called. I explained to the dentist I was phobic and I haven't been in over 20 years. She asked what I was scared of and took me through each of the points as she was doing the exam. She talked to me throughout and couldn't have been kinder.

End result,1 extraction (hardly surprising it was a tooth right at the back where the filling had fallen out years ago and had basically totally rotted away just a few bits of root left) 1 filling (again this had fallen out 7 years previously) and the black mark was a bit of tartar.

20 plus years with no treatment and that was it! I had the work done the next day and went back a week later and saw the hygienist and had my teeth cleaned (that pesky black mark now gone!)

My dentist wants me to come back in 6 months the hygienist in 3.

Honestly I felt great knowing it was done. Something I had worried about for years it was like a massive weight had been lifted. Thanks to all on here that inspired me to make the step. It's good to know I'm not alone in this fear

Wow Scarednai,

This is a great testimony. and sounds like your dentist is very kind and good with phobic patients as well as the receptionist too! and your boyfriend ,this is lovely he knew how to help you and supported you through the whole way! So happy for the news and all the weight lifted off your mind ! Wishing you all the best in your treatment sounds like you are in very good hands!

Bravo!

What a great report.

Well done. Enjoy.

That’s so great it turned out so well! It is a massive weight lifted. Your boyfriend is a keeper!

Back