• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it!

M

mistlechu

I got my back bottom right molar out today! I was so nervous at first but I found a dentist that handled my phobia well. Not only were they super kind but they accommodated me and my gag reflex and my bad decay. Today was the first time in my life I didn’t take any anxiety medicine or gag during an appointment! I cried after out of relief. And the dentist helped me find an insurance plan I can get on fast plus recommend me to an oral surgeon for any more complex extractions! I’m honestly so excited that I conquered this hurdle and can slowly start my journey to having a smile I love!! Finding this dentist really helped and, though I’m sore from the extraction, I have to admit this soreness is nothing compared to the pain of the tooth! I greatly believe that the RIGHT dentist was the thing that was missing for me and having a dentist that was compassionate helped so much! I have never NOT gagged during an appointment and this time the appointment was so relaxed and I left with a smile. I’m so proud of myself for not needing to be sedated for an extraction and not gagging once!!! I’ll be making another appointment with him for another extraction after this one heals and I’m honestly, for the first time, excited about it!

Mistlechu,

Just soo happy to hear this testimony and how this all turned out for you having this kind dentist! What a great story and encouraging !!:perfect::wow::welldone:

That is wonderful to hear! Do you suffer from anxiety? And did you do it with just local anesthetic? Because I have terrible anxiety over having my upper two wisdom teeth removed next week that I can sleep or eat and it’s going to be only local anesthetic.

That is wonderful to hear! Do you suffer from anxiety? And did you do it with just local anesthetic? Because I have terrible anxiety over having my upper two wisdom teeth removed next week that I can sleep or eat and it’s going to be only local anesthetic.

Oh, I had sooo much anxiety before the appointment and at every other appointment before this. Most appointments I get so anxious my gag reflex kicks in and I can't make it through the dentist even putting his finger in my mouth. When I made my appointment I spent that entire week crying over just going to see a dentist and possibly get it yanked on the next appointment.

I didn't even know I was getting the tooth pulled, to be honest. I had hoped it would be pulled due to pain but it was my first visit and my past dentists never did any work on me. So I was shocked when he pulled it on my first visit / meeting with him because I thought I'd have a few more weeks of waiting.

As for local? Yup. It was also my first time being awake for an extraction. I thought it'd be horrible but it was over in a minute. And the relief of having that tooth out made me feel so much better lol. Thing was rotten and broken down under the gum pretty much. I remember worrying they wouldn't be able to pull it but they got it out in less than a minute and I was just "wait? it's out?" because I expected so much worse. There was some pressure but, honestly, it wasn't that bad and it was more of a relief than anything. I have to get two top teeth pulled under local again, both during different appointments, and I'm still nervous even though I know it's ok!!! This phobia won't go away with just one visit ahaha. But the nervousness I felt prior seems so giant compared to what actually happened and the relief once it was out.

You're gonna do great next week!!!

Back