• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it!

S

Soanxious

Hi everyone,

My tooth pain I talked about in my previous post got worse, and I had no choice but to go in for an emergency appointment today for the first time in 7 years. I have an infection, and will need antibiotics and then a root canal (among many other things). I was so anxious beforehand my heart rate went up to 175 and I felt so sick and like I couldn’t do it. But I did! My dentist mentioned speaking to a doctor about getting some medication to ease my anxiety for my root canal. Does anyone have any experience with those types of medication? I’m extremely nervous about taking any medications too, which just complicates this whole thing. If you could share your experiences with a low dose medication for the day of a procedure that would be so helpful!

Hi Soanxious,

well done on going! I hope you were treated kindly...
I have no own experience with anxiety medication, but wanted to offer you an article we have about oral sedation (that's how those types of medication are called). Very often, those are actually prescribed by the dentist that does the procedure, but this may be different for each country.
If taking medication makes you nervous, I was wondering whether nitrous oxide would be more of an option?

All the best wishes

Hi Soanxious,

well done on going! I hope you were treated kindly...
I have no own experience with anxiety medication, but wanted to offer you an article we have about oral sedation (that's how those types of medication are called). Very often, those are actually prescribed by the dentist that does the procedure, but this may be different for each country.
If taking medication makes you nervous, I was wondering whether nitrous oxide would be more of an option?

All the best wishes

the dentist was great, as were all the staff. I didn’t think anyone could make me feel comfortable but they did and I didn’t feel myself itching to run out of the place, instead we chatted for awhile where usually that’s not something I would tolerate! Going in I was hoping the X-ray and quick mouth check would take as little time as possible, figured I could manage 5 minutes, but I was there for 45 and it didn’t feel that way.

unfortunately my dentist isn’t able to prescribe oral sedatives (it has something to do with her particular license, and she didn’t renew that portion of it), and I don’t think she offers nitrous either. She said I’d have to speak to a doctor about getting an oral sedative.

ive read that benadryl or gravol can actually help with anxiety as they have a bit of a sedative effect, and they’re over the counter so I feel less nervous taking either of those things. Has anyone in this forum used either of those to help?

Years ago I was given Ativan to take before my root canal. Prescribed by my then dentist. It did work. I was calm. Recently I was prescribed Xanax for some anxiety related insomnia. I filled them knowing I’ll probably never taken them. And even though I have them I choose not to take them before dental appointments. My anxiety can get quite bad. That’s just my preference. I know because I’ve battled anxiety off and on in my life. for me it’s better to learn and use techniques for overcoming anxiety. For me the more I go to the dentist , the less anxiety I have. If I ever let myself skip a check up the anxiety will multiply.

That’s great news, well done ? !!

If you prefer over-the-counter remedies, you could try rescue remedy or CBD oil?

You could also check the “What Can Help” section and the “Tips for coping with dental treatment” in the Easy Guide for more ideas:

Sounds like you’ve found a lovely dentist :cloud9:

Back