• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I don’t numb under local anaesthetic

M

MollyC

So I chipped my 2nd to back bottom tooth 2years ago. I went through the process of having a white filling, which was done wrong, so I’ve been having temporary fillings which have been ok up until now. The dentist are now saying I need a root canal. But my issues are:

1. Even when having the max amount of anaesthetic injected into the gums around the tooth, I just don’t get numb. I feel absolutely everything.

2. I’m in my first trimester of pregnancy so limited on pain relief and what can actually be done.

3. They want to charge me privately for root canal which is over £1500

4. Can I be referred to be sedated privately and just have the tooth out?

At my wits end with it all, not slept for 3 days straight and the pain and swelling is unbearable.
Thanks in advance.

It's horrible to be in pain. I'm not a dentist but I am fairly sure someone who has experienced similar will answer. Have you got an infection/abscess? Do you know why they have suggested a private dentist for the root canal? Sometimes this is a good option (despite the cost) because the treatment will be done more carefully (sad I know). Personally I would try to save your tooth, though a back molar is a tooth that you might not miss if you decide to have it taken out.

There is a page here that talks about difficulty with getting numb https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/not-numb/

I also have trouble getting numb. I have been up front with all my dentists, endodontist, and oral surgeons about the issue, and that it terrifies me to have work done. Sometimes I will feel numb, then when they start working, it hurts. So far, everyone I have worked with in the past year has been great. It was also suggested to me to get laughing gas, because it helps you relax and the anesthetic work better. It definitely helped me through a root canal, two extractions, and most recently a dental implant.

Hi,

Is it a lower back molar? these teeth are difficult to numbed for a root canal treatment. I would suggest that in these cases you look for a dentist who uses special technology such as WAND or quicksleeper.
If you cannot find dentists with such technology, you should ask that in addition to the traditional anaesthesia to have also "intra-ligamental" injection. This injection causes some post-operative pain and discomfort for a few days but can help with the pain during the procedure.
There is another protocol of using an anti inflammatory non steroid drug (such as Advil and Ibuprofen) just before the appointment but I do not have practical experience with it.

All the best.

Back