• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I don't know how much more I can take.

H

Haterofteeth

Temporary composite filling in a root canaled tooth?

Hello everyone, thanks for reading my question.

I'll start with a little history:

Age 5: Dentist tells my mother I have "bottle mouth", my dad would put me to bed with Kool-Aid in a bottle.

Age 15: get braces.

Age 18: Braces come off, anf due to "damage", I get veneers, the crappy composite ones.

Age 24: Have my first child, and all hell breaks lose, cavities gallore. I have had 4 teeth extracted for the braces, plus wisdom teeth removed, and another bottom molar on the right due to a cavity, and then 2 more (ones in front of wisdom teeth)on both sides.

Age 31: My teeth are now stained, andlook horrible, not one tooth in my mouth has not been worked on in some way.

In July, I had a toothache. Dentist did partial root canal.
It's now Sept, and I don't have the money to pay for it until the 20th of this month.
I tried to re-book my appointment, and they told me it would be a 50$ charge.
I have a temporary filling in right now.

So I am going to show up, with no money, and look like an idiot. I told them I had some of the money, not all, and they said bring what you have. I have none right now.

I do not have dental insurance through my job.

This is a premolar. Tooth 5 I believe.

Is there any way they could make it last until the 20th?, my dentist said infection will set in, and the tooth is a little sore now.

I also have this other tooth, on the top,besidemy front tooth, which needs to the gum cut open because there is an on-going infection. I just keep taking antibiotics when it flares up. I f I am going to spend money on a tooth, it should be one in the very front.

I feel bad, because the dentist got me out of pain,and I paid him nothing so far, and for me to say "just pull it" would be rude, no?

Please help me out. My appt is at 6pm, and I'm scared.

I hate my teeth.:(

Last edited:
Re: I really need some advice, help please?

Ok here is the thing, I don't believe you should feel bad........if anything I think you should be mad at the fact that our country doesn't give a rats butt about not providing dental care/healthcare to all. I mean honestly, you have multiple infections in your mouth and you have very little money, I don't know what else you are suppose to do. I feel very bad for your situation and I think it's unacceptable that this is happening to you. I understand that dentists have costs but this goes far beyond just what a dentists costs are, this goes to the bigger picture of problems. I think this dentist showed compassion for you and that is VERY important, but in the end you have to make a choice and if money doesn't come out of thin air then you only have one option left. I'm guessing if you explained this to the dentist he would understand. Maybe if you sat down with him and asked him to come up with a treatment plan and payment schedule he could help with the bigger picture of infections or maybe give you alternatives.
I wish you the best.

My Premolar?

Back in the middle of July, I had a root canal procedure done on my pre-molar. Upper right. My dentist put a temporay filling in, it's one that's really white, and over the past few weeks, it has chipped away a bit.

I won't be able to afford the root canal until November.

When I look in the mirror and smile, I can see the tooth a bit, so it makes me nervous to have it pulled, and if I do get it pulled, I will only have one molar on that side of my moutho_O

How much longer do you think the filling will last?

Thanks Everyone :cool:

Last edited:
Re: How long can a temporary filling last?

I'm confused, you had the root canal or not?

Yes, root canal was done. Now there is this white temporary filling.

First, he did a procedure where he removed what he said was 90% of the nerve.
I was still in pain the next day, so removed the rest of the nerve he said.

Due to financial setbacks, I cannot afford the $450 until November, so basically he did the root canal, but put temporary filling inside, untill I can afford the root canal.

I am experiencing some tingling, and tiny shooting pains. I am hoping that is not infected again:shame:

So he did the root canal, but not the permanent restoration/crown. Maybe he would let you make payments. I bet he doesn't want you to lose the tooth now.

rp

How long did your temporary filling last on a tooth with a root canal?

Tooth has a temporary filling, and I am trying to stretch the temp filling til November, hopefully I can...:(

How much roughly would an apicoectomy cost on front tooth?

Tooth has had two root canals, and is now hurting again :shame:

Dentist recommended an apicoectomy. It's the tooth beside my front tooth.

I am taking antibiotics rightnow. I hope the pain dies down. I just want to shoot myself in the face it hurts so much:cry:

Re: How much roughly would an apicoectomy cost on front tooth?

Apicoectomy on maxillary lateral incisors which are the second fom the midline on top are the easiest of all to do so don't worry. It should be sealed with MTA. But.... most likely it has a crack and it will be discovered during surgery so plan an alternative tx plan

Putting a temporary composite filling in a tooth with a root canal?

Sorry, but what do you mean by tx?

If there is a crack in the tooth, it can't be saved?

Last edited:

Sorry, but what do you mean by tx?

If there is a crack in the tooth, it can't be saved?

And it depends on where the crack is. If it is on the bottom 1/3 of the root, the tooth has a good prognosis. If the crack is closer to the gumline, it has a poor prognosis.

Also, tx = treatment

What would this procedure cost...roughly? Same as a root canal?

Thank you.

I had an oral surgeon do mine (pretty complicated) and just the apicoectomy part cost $450, (I had a lot of other stuff done.)

rp

In my experience an endodontist doing a root canal will often quote for an apico upfront should it become necessary. They see it as aftercare and so seem to charge much less for it than for the original root canal. I haven't actually had an apico though.

I think I know what this guy is talking about... like I posted on one of my other threads, I just had mine as well and was told he took most of the nerve out and left the canals empty and put a temp white filling in for a while until the next part of the root canal where they get cleaned again and another more perm filling is then put in until the tooth can be restored by crown.

would this be about right ?

I would also like to know how long u can wait between first and second appointment. I was told 3 or 4 weeks for me... No more than 4 though.

Abscess tooth migrated to sinuses?

Tooth number 2-2 has had an abscess for quite some time. I have been "buying time" with antibiotics for the past year. I was given Amoxicillian 500mg 3x a day for 7 days, and Tylenol 3's, and my tooth is still painful. He also took an x-ray and said it looks the same as it did months ago.

The dentist has decided that instead of an apicoectomy, he will do retreat (tooth had a root canal a few years ago) now I am waiting for my insurance to cover it.

So, I went back 3 days ago, and was given a prescription for Clindamyicin, and percocets. The percocets make me feel too loopy, and I have a 8 month old baby to care for. I took 1 Clindamyicin, and let me tell you, my stomach was a mess, it hurt so much. Severe cramps, and acid reflux was a killer as well. I just layed in my bathtub at 2 am crying from the pain:shame:

I also read so many horrible things after googling my reaction to it. C-diff, and permanent stomach damage!

I also have a stomach ulcer, so maybe this is why it hurt so much?

I woke up this AM to my sinuses clogged completely, and very sore, with a horrible headache also.

Is there an alternative he could give me to help? Antibiotic wise?

Is my sinus issue due to the tooth? Would it have shown on the x-ray? (Sinus infection from tooth?).

I am getting the root canal done on the 26th of this month, even if the insurance won't cover it.

Last edited:

Most likely what the dentist has done is a pulpectomy, where the nerve is taken out and maybe he started shaping the canal. I'm guessing that in November he will finishing the shaping process and fill with gutta percha. The temporary filling, most likely IRM, can last a while but pieces of it may break and fall off. If this happens just call up your dentist and I'm sure he or his assistant will place more in.

Re: Abscess tooth migrated to sinuses?

Anyone? Please?

Is there an alternative he could give me to help? Antibiotic wise?

Is my sinus issue due to the tooth? Would it have shown on the x-ray? (Sinus infection from tooth?).

I am getting the root canal done on the 26th of this month, even if the insurance won't cover it.

Hey
I am afraid that any kind of other relevant antibiotics might have bad stomach side-effects. It is a clinical problem I encountered several times before. It was possible to manage it with higher doses of Amoxicillin and proper pain killers.
An inflammation at the front teeth might have an indirect effect on the sinuses, after all the immune system is busy fighting the bacteria sitting in the infected teeth and less capable of dealing with other sources of infection.
It is great that you are having the tooth treated soon. That's the best thing to do.

drink different brands of live culture yougarts and similiar items.

Back