• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I dont think i can do it

M

MissMercy

My appointment for my dental work is tomorrow morning. Ive done good the last two days with not stressing about it. Im sitting here now and I just want to call and cancel everything. Im in tears, shaking and I had a full blown panic attack. Like breath in the brown bag kind. Im so scared i will feel every single thing they do tomorrow. When i touch my gum im still in so much pain i just don't know how they will even be able to get me numb. I took half of my pain med an hour ago and it does feel alot better but it hurts when i touch it. (Then don't touch it right)?? Lol. I cant help it i keep checking to see if the tenderness has gone away but it hasnt. Im still taking the antibiotics of course. My stomach is turning, im nauseous and i feel like im going to faint. I dont know what to do amymore ☹️

Last edited:
OK, you can do this x I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but you can.

They will give you lots of anaesthetic, there's quite a lot they can do to help get it numb. If you feel anything at all, tell them and they should be able to give you more.

Heres the secret for how to cope when it's right before your appointment and you just feel overwhelmed:

Break it down into tiny steps. All you have to do tomorrow is turn up. That's it. Just show up. You can deal with the rest once you get there, but for now, don't try and cope with all of it (it's too big!), just focus your attention on showing up. Everything else will follow.

Trust me, it works!

You got this. Huge hugs :XXLhug: - check back in and let us know how you got on!

As usual, Tink is absolutely correct with everything she said.

You will have instant relief as soon as they give the local anesthetic. If you feel anything, say something and they will give you more local - and you won't feel them giving it because you will already be numb. For tonight, do whatever you can to distract yourself - a funny movie, a book (if you can focus to read), call a friend and talk about anything except your appt (unless that helps).

I like to make lists of all of the little things I need to do before an appointment - I find it helps me to stay focused on tasks rather than anxiety.

Maybe most importantly, try to focus on the pain relief you will have after your appointment. Also on how you will be a ROCK STAR for getting through it. You may also want to plan something nice for yourself for afterward - something to look forward to.

You CAN and WILL do this and you will be so glad to have done it. What time is your appointment tomorrow? I want to be sure to send you good energy.

As usual, Tink is absolutely correct with everything she said.

You will have instant relief as soon as they give the local anesthetic. If you feel anything, say something and they will give you more local - and you won't feel them giving it because you will already be numb. For tonight, do whatever you can to distract yourself - a funny movie, a book (if you can focus to read), call a friend and talk about anything except your appt (unless that helps).

I like to make lists of all of the little things I need to do before an appointment - I find it helps me to stay focused on tasks rather than anxiety.

Maybe most importantly, try to focus on the pain relief you will have after your appointment. Also on how you will be a ROCK STAR for getting through it. You may also want to plan something nice for yourself for afterward - something to look forward to.

You CAN and WILL do this and you will be so glad to have done it. What time is your appointment tomorrow? I want to be sure to send you good energy.

You are so sweet! My appt. is at 10:40 a.m. The problem i have is that i dont numb well AT ALL. Thats the scariest part and why im so freaked out. Last time i couldnt get numb and they pulled the darn tooth anyway! Worst pain ive ever felt and it was infected just like this one is. 10 years have gone by and i never went to a dentist again. Traumatized i tell ya!!! Finally worked up the nerve on tuesday and here we are today. Its like a nightmare!!!

OK, you can do this x I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but you can.

They will give you lots of anaesthetic, there's quite a lot they can do to help get it numb. If you feel anything at all, tell them and they should be able to give you more.

Heres the secret for how to cope when it's right before your appointment and you just feel overwhelmed:

Break it down into tiny steps. All you have to do tomorrow is turn up. That's it. Just show up. You can deal with the rest once you get there, but for now, don't try and cope with all of it (it's too big!), just focus your attention on showing up. Everything else will follow.

Trust me, it works!

You got this. Huge hugs :XXLhug: - check back in and let us know how you got on!

xo!! Thank you! I have a real hard time getting numb thats why I am so scared. Bad past experience too!

I'm also not easy to numb, but a good dentist will have many different techniques they can try. No dentist should ever work on you when you're not numb. I'm so sorry that happened to you before. From everything you've said, this new dentist sounds like a really good one. I really have a good feeling that you're going to be ok. Hang in there!

xo!! Thank you! I have a real hard time getting numb thats why I am so scared. Bad past experience too!

Yeah, I get it, I've had a lot of trouble with numbing too :XXLhug: That's what's behind the fear for so many of us. I did eventually find a dentist who knew what to do for me - there's a lot they can do now, and things have moved on in 10 years.

Fearful is right, there's no need to do work when you aren't numb and the good ones won't do that, they will give you more anaesthetic and find something that works - and all the signs so far are that you've found a good one!

Dunno what time zone you're in but good luck when it comes!

...and remember, all you need to focus on now is showing up. Let the rest take care of itself and concentrate on that.

I'm hoping you got some sleep last night and that you didn't spend all night trying go find all the stories on here of bad dental experiences (I saw you commented on a couple of them). It really sounds like you've found a good dentist (and whole dental office) and that you will be in very good hands today. Like Tink said, the one thing you have to do now is to get yourself to the appointment. You're in pain, so if you cancel, you're only postponing relief. Sending really good thoughts and energy your way. Please let us know how it goes - we'll be rooting for you and waiting to hear.

I'm hoping you got some sleep last night and that you didn't spend all night trying go find all the stories on here of bad dental experiences (I saw you commented on a couple of them). It really sounds like you've found a good dentist (and whole dental office) and that you will be in very good hands today. Like Tink said, the one thing you have to do now is to get yourself to the appointment. You're in pain, so if you cancel, you're only postponing relief. Sending really good thoughts and energy your way. Please let us know how it goes - we'll be rooting for you and waiting to hear.

I slept good last night. Didnt surf around here too much after my comments. Ive been up and had some coffee and some scrambled eggs in order to take my antibiotic. I do feel like vomiting real bad but i know thats just nerves getting a hold Of me. Unfortunately, i didnt get to meet the main dentist that will be doing everything. His wife, (also a dentist there) took care of me on Tuesday becuase i had n emergency and it looked like he was with another patient when i arrived. They did reassure me several times that when i meet him today i would really like him. I did see him in the hallway and he did wave at me and said hello. I have two hours before i go so im just clening up the kitchen and keeping occupied til its time to shower and get my butt over there! Im going to remind them when i get there to please let him know before i go back how much I am struggling and I'll be sure to tell him all my fears before he puts anything in my mouth! Lol!!

Yeah, I get it, I've had a lot of trouble with numbing too :XXLhug: That's what's behind the fear for so many of us. I did eventually find a dentist who knew what to do for me - there's a lot they can do now, and things have moved on in 10 years.

Fearful is right, there's no need to do work when you aren't numb and the good ones won't do that, they will give you more anaesthetic and find something that works - and all the signs so far are that you've found a good one!

Dunno what time zone you're in but good luck when it comes!

...and remember, all you need to focus on now is showing up. Let the rest take care of itself and concentrate on that.
Est time zone here. ?

I'm also in EST time zone :). I really have a good feeling for you that everything is going to go well!

I'm also in EST time zone :). I really have a good feeling for you that everything is going to go well!
I really hope so because I havent been able to stop crying for the last 20 min. The closer it gets the worse I feel. Gahhhh!!! ??

You can do this! Even if you show up at your appointment crying... remember they are there to help you and not judge you. Sending virtual hugs!

Im here guys! In the Waiting area. Shaking like a leaf. ?

You did it!!!! The hardest part is over. You are there. I'm hoping you won't have to wait too long.

Root canal half way done. Havent felt a thing so far!!! Gotta finish and then on to the extraction.

Hey, you made it! Well done x You're doing fantastically well :jump:

All done now!!! One root canal, one filling and one root tip extraction! Didnt feel a single pain one time. Only small pain was injection in the roof of my moith but it was so quick i barely flinched. One tear and it was over. Yay me!!!!!!!! Go back in two weeks for check up. I wont be scared at all.

Go you! That's so good to hear! :jump:

You've done amazingly well today, really proud of you :XXLhug:

Now go and do something nice for yourself - and take it easy the next day or two, this sort of stuff can really take it out of you x

Go you! That's so good to hear! :jump:

You've done amazingly well today, really proud of you :XXLhug:

Now go and do something nice for yourself - and take it easy the next day or two, this sort of stuff can really take it out of you x

Thank you tink! Im going wrap presents later and have some nice warm soup for dinner. Maybe jello or ice cream for dessert.

Back