• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

i don't want a root canal!!

B

baileybailey

hi all,

i plucked up the courage to change dentist and had my first check up just now. the nurse didn't even speak, dentist was ok but not as gentle as my last. the last tooth at the back on the lower jaw he said is decayed (strange how he could see that on xray when the last two at my previous practise couldn't) and needs a root canal, i said i would rather have it pulled and he just said not to as i would end up having no teeth if i have them pulled. i don't want a root canal and crown, i already have one of those and i hate it. he did say i have a wisdom tooth next to this one he wants to do root canal on, its not out of the gum even but said its really close to the nerves, if i had the tooth out instead of root canal, would this wisdom tooth give me any bother? the one he want to do treatment on is growing inwards because of the wisdom. what should i do? i do not want a root canal, shall i just get another dentist or phone him and say i would rather he pulled it?

any advice would be great, thanks

really? 36 views and no replies?

do you have pain in the tooth?! i've been told root canal's are not necessary unless you have pain in the area. i too have a tooth that they've told me they need to do a root canal on...i'm not going to let them unless they give me a damn good reason.
I would get a 2nd opinion if i were you.

It's always best not to lose a tooth unnecessarily. I wouldn't let just any dentist do a root canal though:

The dental nurse being mute is not an issue so long as the dentist engages pleasantly with you. Believe it or not in my experience, it is sometimes policy at 'private practices' for the dental nurse to just be an extra pair of hands and melt into the background/doorway/not be there at all, so you build your relationship with just the dentist who personally collects you from the waiting room.

many thanks for the replies, (touch wood) no pain yet, what i think is causing pain is the wisdom tooth thats not even surfaced yet, over the years the wisdom has slightly moved my tooth inwards, i was told years ago that this tooth that they want to root canal needs to be taken out due to giving space for the wisdom.

i have changed dentist again and have a new appointment on 20th with the dentist my mum uses and she reckons he's the best and for my mum to like someone, especially a dentist, so he must be good!!

i really want it out because its going like the one on the other side of my jaw which i had out last october 1st and have ONLY just recovered from dry socket. my teeth have not been right since i had that out, im really worried about dry socket again after just getting over it.

so the tooth they want to root canal has white bonding stuff on it, a large filling, turning inwards and has decay, i really don't want a root canal, i detest the one i have on my other tooth.

i hate this!!!!:cry:

Back