• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I feel so stupid!

J

Jj888

I have a dental appointment the day after tomorrow and I am so nervous. I know I need several fillings and maybe more. I have a temporary filling for a tooth that needs a crown from years ago and Im worried they scold me about it. Funny thing is I had to go to this same dentist several times in the past for major problems and he was very kind and helpful but I'm still nervous. I'm sure he will just think "why the hell don't you come in regularly so you don't have these big issues". I don't what it is. I've always just have had horrible teeth no matter how well I brush and floss and a horrible fear of the dentist. The last time I went in was for a tooth I needed rebuilt but that's all I had done. It was an emergency appointment because had cracked the tooth and they didn't actually look at anything else. This time I'm a getting cleaning and a consult and I'm SO nervous. It's been years since I've had a cleaning and all I remember is it being painful and uncomfortable. I just hate myself for being this way. I'm glad I found this group and others like me. Sorry for the rant I just need to went.

Thanks for ranting jj.. you really are in the right place! I totally feel the same way... I go from 48 to 8 everytime I go through the dental door.. RAtionality somehow leaves me.. and it starts before there too maybe days or weeks .. of thinking of the what ifs.. what if they think i'm ridicolous, they don't like me, something happens?, they are not in a good mood., they do the switcheroo, etc. but.. I wish I could be my rational self when there.. the rational self seems to come back the minute I leave out or on the way home.. My new dentist I've seen 4 times now and he is just super sweet and caring.. and seems to really know what he is doing.. but. I still get nervous.. ugh.. just know you are not alone.. Sounds like you have someone really nice.. so hope it goes well!! :).

Thanks! I'm glad Ive found this. I'm moving in a couple months so it's gonna be even worse when I have to find a new dentist. All those what is you said are exactly right! I can't stand it.

Thanks for ranting jj.. you really are in the right place! I totally feel the same way... I go from 48 to 8 everytime I go through the dental door.. RAtionality somehow leaves me.. and it starts before there too maybe days or weeks .. of thinking of the what ifs.. what if they think i'm ridicolous, they don't like me, something happens?, they are not in a good mood., they do the switcheroo, etc. but.. I wish I could be my rational self when there.. the rational self seems to come back the minute I leave out or on the way home.. My new dentist I've seen 4 times now and he is just super sweet and caring.. and seems to really know what he is doing.. but. I still get nervous.. ugh.. just know you are not alone.. Sounds like you have someone really nice.. so hope it goes well!! :).

This time I'm a getting cleaning and a consult and I'm SO nervous. It's been years since I've had a cleaning and all I remember is it being painful and uncomfortable. I just hate myself for being this way. I'm glad I found this group and others like me. Sorry for the rant I just need to went.

Lots of us have had maybe one bad dental hygienist experience but the good news is it doesn't have to hurt..it depends on the particular hygienist like most things dental...the skill of the provider is all! Remember you are in control, they should stop if you raise your hand. You can be numbed up or gels applied if you need to be. Hope it goes well. Try to see yourself more as the customer they need to please, rather than a victim.