• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I Finally Broke Down--Bad Temps

S

Sassy411

I hesitated to post, not wanting to discourage anyone from getting their work done. But, I finally & officially lost it this morning. Ended up sobbing like a 4 year old--something I never do. I've not even cried in years.

To be fair, I'm getting a lot of work done using bridges rather than implants for economic reasons. The permanent uppers are in & beautiful. The temporaries have been a pia all along.

But, the lowers have been dreadful. I understand there are a lot of teeth invovled making it difficult to do a good temp. I went to get the uppers in last wk & found out I needed rct on #18. Not a surprise since that was giving me a lot of pain. Doctor said it was "boiling hot". It took many injections to get the tooth numb enough to work on.

I went ahead & had the last 4 lowers prepped for crowns since I was numbed up anyway.

It was another 9 hour day in the dental chair for me. Of course, until the anesthesia wears off, you don't know how bad the temps are. Went in the next day for more filing & some bonding material to smooth the rough spots.

The w/e was miserable. My jaw/face is swollen from the rct & my mouth & tongue being sliced in a million places from the temps. Even toothpaste burns my mouth (Sensodyne). Have been rinsing w/salt water & Oraljel mouthwash.

Finally, it's Monday morning & the dentist can't see me until late this afternoon which means I have to drive myself since dh has to work. As soon as she said they couldn't see me until 2:45 pm, I lost it. Started crying on the phone.

Then I totally lost it. Sobbing & wailing on my bed like a toddler. I never do that

I am sorry if my story scares anyone. I guess I am being selfish by needing to vent.

My question for the doctors--is this normal? So much trouble with temps? Is it possible tht some damage was done by so many injections into the same area? I had a lot of injections to the area when the crown prep was done too.

Any suggestions for managing the pain & injuries to my mouth & tongue?

First of all you are not being selfish at all.

Second of all i wail like a 4 year old most of the time

And thirdly here is a big ((((((hug)))))

Hth x

Thank you. I needed that!

New temps are in--it took hours but the dentist was involved every step of the way this time & they did a good job. She couldn't have been more sympathetic, even gave me her cell # in case I have problems again.

My mouth is still sore--she numbed up the front lowers before taking the old temps off--but I can feel it is a healing pain now. I do have a number of lesions on my tongue & cheek, she gave me an rx for that.

I'm glad I went back in--these temps feel much better & on the 25th it will be over--beautiful new lowers to match the beautiful uppers.

The take away for everyone: don't hesitate to go back to the dentist if something isn't right. No matter how bad it may feel at the moment, it is fixable.

Back