• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I found the best Phobia Dentist in New York City

G

Former Member
Hello to my fellow dental phobics. I have had such dental phobia all my life that it paralyzed me. It prevented me from having a beautiful smile and quite literally, my dental phobia kept me from being the person I could have been. Today, I am 58 years old and finally found a dentist that, well, to put it mildly, saved my life.

I corresponded with him via e-mail several times. I felt comfortable enough to make an appointment. I can't tell you what it is like to walk into a waiting room that is tastefully done, there is fresh brewing coffee, baskets of fresh fruit, juices, and a fridge, just for your comfort. I was nervous of course. It has been two years and I had a broken tooth. His staff could not have been more warm, friendly and sincere.
First let me give you his contact information and then I'll tell you what happened.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I live in Brooklyn, New York and this dentist has his practice in Manhattan
Here is his contact information

29 WEST DENTAL ASSOCIATES
Michael Krochak, D.M.D.
29 West 57th Street, 6th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10019
Ph (212) 838-2900
Fax (212) 935-4703
Email: [email protected]

go the following website:
http://www.dentalfear.net/solutions/success.html

Read all the testimonials and then poke around the website. You will be amazed and the new techology, the pain free technology that this dentist provides. first of all, there is no cardboard things that they put into your mouth for the x-rays. The technician rolls up a laptop over to the chair, just puts a little probe thing you bite on and he moves it around your mouth. and in one minute, all your x-rays pop up on the screen. I could not believe it!!! He had read all my forms, and new I had mitral valve prolapse and could not have dental work without antibiotics. he said to me "melody, I am going to do your teeth today and I said "oh no, I have mitral valve prolapse and I need antibiotics" and he just opened his hand and said "here you go", and gave me 4 antibiotics to take right there and then. I look at him (still scared because I never expected to have work done that same day, I only thougth I was going for a consult and examination. Well, he does the Wand thing. You don't feel a damm thing. he gets you nice an numb and then he does what he has to do. I don't like the sounds and the smells but I'll tell you one thing. This dental phobia clinic has aromatherapy candles and virtual reality goggles (if you need them. I just looked at the candles and smelled the nice smell in the office. I didn't need the virtual reality glasses. They do put safety glasses on you so you don't get wet. Honestly, for this dental phobe, this dentist literally saved my sanity. I thought I would never get my teeth done. He is a cosmetic dentist so he knows what he is doing. Believe me. You will have a perfect smile.

This is a dental phobia clinic so they know your problem. Everybody who goes there has the same problem. My inlaws came with me for support. The staff could have not been nicer!!!And the dentist. His name is Dr. Krochak. He introduced himself and made me feel right at home. We explored why I was a dental phobic. When you go to the website, you will see forms. They are like a medical background. You fill then out online, print them out and bring them with you. And the doctor knew all about me before I sat in his chair. I had written that when I was five years old, my mother had taken me to the dentist with her when she had to have all her teeth pulled. I will never forget being a 5 year old little girl, sitting on a wooden bench in the waiting room and she came out of the dentist's office and she didn't say a word, she had just had all her teeth pulled and they cauterized her because she was a bleeder. All she did was bang on the walls. She did that over and over. This happed over 53 years ago to me and I have it still vivid in my memory. That set me up for a lifetime of dental fear and because the dentists years ago were not like the dentists of today, well, forget about it. You know, you probably have your own horror stories. Well, let me be the first one to help you out here. No more horror stories.
Dr. Krochak will give you a new outlook on life and most important, you can now go to the dentist and HE WILL NOT HURT YOU!!!! THERE IS NO PAIN!!!. I have never liked the picky thing that they put in your mouth. I think it's called the periodontal probe or something like that!! I told him, No problem, he didn't use it. They work with you. So if anyone out there who lives in New York City or nearby, please go to see Dr. Krochak. He literally saved my sanity.

Love, Melody

Please feel to email me at any time. my e-mail is [email protected]
I have walked in your shoes, believe me.

G

Former Member
Re: I found the best Phobia Dentist in New York Ci

Glad you had such good results!! I'd almost drive there just to have the rest of the work I need done by this guy!! Kinda far from Cleveland Ohio, though!!

G

Former Member

Hi Mark. Just now read your post. Yeah, I guess cleveland is kind of far but why don't you do what I did. Just go to yahoo and type in the words Dental Phobia Dentist (then type in your city and State.

See what happens. The wand is truly amazing. I have been there one more time to get my teeth cleaned. You should have seen me, you would have burst out laughing.

I had to have a cleaning first and then get the two permanent crowns (with temp glue to see how it fits).

So I took a xanax before I got there. You would have thought I didn't take a darn thing, I was so keyed up. Didn't matter that they didn't hurt me the first time, remember I'M A PHOBIC. so I sit in the chair and the dental hygeinist tells me "okay, melody, I'm going to be cleaning your teeth. I said "feel free to numb me" and she numbs the whole area and then gets to scraping and digging. sounds much worse than it is.

She would tell me "i'm going to be going near your root now, and I would feel a little scraping (but no pain). and we laughed through the whole thing.

then I got up and walked out of the room and said "Well I'm alive" and everybody laughed. Then I went into the other room where my dear Dr. Krochak welcomed me and pulled off the temps and put on the permanents, fixing them to his specifications.
he told me, "melody, the next time you come, i'm going to numb you with the wand, because I have to clean up around the tooth area and I don't want you to feel a thing".
I said "fine by me".

so on Monday I shall have my final visit.

I find it absolutely amazing that people like my friends and my husband can just go and sit in a dentist's chair and be just fine.

I will never understand that way of thinking.

I am absolutely convinced that if I didn't find my dear Dr. Krochak, I would have never had my teeth done. Believe me.

Take care,
Melody

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member

Melody(Guest) said:
Just go to yahoo and type in the words Dental Phobia Dentist (then type in your city and State.

I don't wanna be a spoilsport, but this is not an approach I'd recommend... Michael (Krochak) is a really nice guy, I've been in contact with him myself, but I wouldn't say the same thing about every "dental phobia dentist" (not that such an animal actually exists) I've come across...

I'd really urge anyone looking for a dentist to try and get *personal* recommendations from friends (that may include people on message boards ;)), acquaintances, family, or colleagues.

M

melodyl

You know something, you are absolutely right!!!!
I was very naive to think that every phobia dentist on yahoo has good ratings.
I went to something called doctoroogle.com. You type in the name of the dentist and you can check his ratings, success stories (Dr. Krochak has 4 stars), You can find phobia dentists (and boy was I shocked that some dentists have only 1 star in the ratings and the complaints against some of them are astounding.
I guess I was extremely lucky. Dental phobia is no walk in the park. It is all consuming and some people would rather give birth than sit in a dentist's chair.The phobia is that severe.
So I do apologize if I gave wrong information.
I just wanted to help all my fellow phobics out there.

take care, Melody

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member

melodyl said:

Don't worry about it - I can't even count the number of times I've given totally misleading advice... it's a steep learning curve, and it gets more difficult rather than easier as time goes on as well ;)

The main thing is that you're interested and enthusiastic, the rest is secondary :)!

Thanks for posting here :thumbsup:!

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member

melodyl said:

Don't worry about it - I can't even count the number of times I've given totally misleading advice... it's a steep learning curve, and it gets more difficult rather than easier as time goes by as well ;)

The main thing is that you're interested and enthusiastic, the rest is secondary :)!

Thanks for posting here :thumbsup:!