• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I had my apicoectomy today

M

MountainMama

I thought about posting this in the success form, but I don't yet know if it is a success.

I had an apicoectomy on my front upper tooth. I was terrified, and was shaking for most of the procedure, but the endodontist was great and kept explaining everything she did to keep me calm, and telling me I was doing great.

The procedure wasn't bad. I had one painful moment with a shot that was in front, where the tech hadn't anticipated so she hadn't put any topical anesthetic. That made my eyes water, but after that, I didn't feel a thing except some pressure, and the endo warned me each time I would feel it. She even gave me a completely painless palate shot! She said she went through the front, to the nack, instead of in the back. She put a towel over my eyes, so I didn't see anything.

She said the cone beam scan showed that the abscess had been bigger than my dentist could see on the x ray. She showed me the image and the hole in my bone was huge! It was bigger than a molar tooth. She said it had to have been there for more than a ear, possibly two years, to have gotten that big. I had no idea, although the original injury to the tooth was 30 years ago, so who knows?

I am home now, and still numb. Due to an ulcer, I cannot take ibuprofen, so I am taking tylenol. I also can't take strong opioids, so I have a prescription for tramadol, which she said I would probably need.

So I hope this fixes the problem. She said the procedure went perfectly and she cleaned out any infection that was in there. She also said I do not have to take antibiotics unless I have any signs of infection.

I am praying this fixes this issue so I can move on to the next.

Thank you for sharing, MountainMama, good to read the procedure went well.

You mentioned not yet knowing if this is a success. I can imagine you would like to know if the problem got fixed, however in general any dental visit you managed to get through is a success so give yourself a pat on the back!

Recover soon and keep us posted, fingers crossed for you to heal well and being able to move on soon.

Thank you for sharing, MountainMama, good to read the procedure went well.

You mentioned not yet knowing if this is a success. I can imagine you would like to know if the problem got fixed, however in general any dental visit you managed to get through is a success so give yourself a pat on the back!

Recover soon and keep us posted, fingers crossed for you to heal well and being able to move on soon.

Thank you. I feel proud of myself that I got through it. I am just super hesitant since so far every dental procedure I have had has ended in an extraction, after not working. It makes me anxious especially since this is a front tooth. Plus it was a little spooky seeing how large that hole was that the abscess left! I do better with hard facts and science, so I am glad she showed me the x ray, but still it is a little disconcerting.

Congratulations for getting through it!! Hopefully this fixes it and the pain and stress will be a thing of the past for you. Keep us posted!! And hope you won’t even need the tramadol!

Yesterday, after the numbness wore off, it was quite painful. However, after I took more tylenol and a tramadol, it was manageable. Today, I woke up with very little pain. It is mostly stiff and sore, but much improved.

I did end up taking the steroids the endodontist prescribed. I had gone back and forth on that, and the dentists on here said it wasn't needed, so I had planned on skipping them. The endo told me yesterday that they would help with pain management as well, since I couldn't take ibuprofen. My husband ended up having to leave for a business trip today, so I will be taking both kids to basketball games on Saturday. I don't want to be swollen up, looking like I was punched in the mouth. It is pretty swollen today, even with the steroids and having an ice pack yesterday.

Thank you. I feel proud of myself that I got through it. I am just super hesitant since so far every dental procedure I have had has ended in an extraction, after not working. It makes me anxious especially since this is a front tooth. Plus it was a little spooky seeing how large that hole was that the abscess left! I do better with hard facts and science, so I am glad she showed me the x ray, but still it is a little disconcerting.
Positives vibes headed your way that this procedure fixes things and your feeling better soon!

Sincerely hope you are well on the way to recovery and resolution of the issue x

Back