• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have gingivitis and I'm too afraid to brush my teeth.

A

Ally1478

I had a baby recently and developed pregnancy gingivitis. I have panic disorder and seeing my mouth full of blood while brushing would send me into panic mode. I stopped brushing my teeth all together and planned to start again after the baby. Now that the baby's here, I still can't brush. Just the thought of my gums bleeding starts my heart pounding and I become short of breath.
Is it safe to brush my teeth when my gums are bleeding? Could I get any type of infection from them bleeding that could go to my heart? I don't have a heart condition but one of my biggest fears is heart disease. If I could be assured nothing bad will happen to me, I probably will be able to brush again.
I'm nervous to post this and I really hope someone can help me. I worry about my teeth and gums everyday and would love to feel safe enough to brush again. Please help.

Hi Ally1478

Gingivitis is easily treated but requires good oral home care. Brushing and flossing are an essential part of this process. You should also have a good cleaning as this can halt the condition from becoming worse. Blood from your mouth will not effect your heart, no worries. Gum problems come from a buildup of bacteria and plaque which is why brushing and flossing is essential.

Once the bacteria and plaque is removed the gums will heals and the condition can be controlled. Catching this in the early stages is best.

Blessing :)

Back