I have gone to 2 dentists, spoken with 4, no one can figure out why my composite fillings hurt

A

alazar14

I have gone to 2 dentists, spoken with 4, no one can figure out why my composite fillings hurt

I will not post everything I have posted here before again, as I have made two very long threads in the past, and I received some interesting, but ultimately not very helpful information.
To make things short:
8 years ago I got 2 dental fillings (white) on premolars, 1 was fine, never had issues, the other hurt until it broke off 8 years later.
In March of this year I went to the dentist, dentist discovered several small cavities, and the broken filling. All cavities were far away from the root.

I got the broken tooth taken care of, bite adjusted fine, and guess what? Still sensitivity to pressure. At the time I didn't have any hot/cold sensitivity, but pressure sensitivity in the location of the filling was quite bad.

I decided to wait a while and hope it would go away. It didn't. In April I got a 2nd filling on a molar (the other side of the mouth), and GUESS WHAT? Pressure sensitivity AGAIN!

Now I had pressure sensitivity on two teeth, on opposite sides of my mouth! I basically could not eat without experiencing some pain. I came here for help (as well as reddit dentistry), and people suggested several things such as (1) poor technique in applying resin filling, (2) need for a crown on tooth, (3) need for a root canal, and (4) cracked tooth syndrome. Guess what I did? I live in the central USA, and went to San Diego to visit family, while I was there I took advantage and visited one of the most highly rated dental clinics in the county (the dentist has published books on the subject of dentistry!).

Guess what? - She had no real idea why it was hurting. She examined my teeth closely for over 30 min, took Xrays, did tests, and concluded that .... my teeth have no cracks, and the fillings hurt (something my other dentist who originally did the work already told me and checked). Great, thanks doc, $150 for a basic consultation well spent.

Came back to my home town, went to my dentist who assured me he knew what the problem was (he contacted me after reading my very poor and highly detailed review on his google page). He re did the premolar filling using a specialized low shrink composite material. At first things felt quite okay. The pain was about 50% of what it was before for the first week or so, and I started to get my hopes up. Then, almost suddenly, I was eating breakfast one day, and BAMN! Something happened and I felt a shot of pain.

The filling is now MORE PAINFUL than it was before. Another symptom that wasn't as bad before is the pain at pressure release. I now not only feel pain when I put pressure on the filling, but also when I release the pressure.

It has now been over a month since the filling has been done, I have gone back to my dentists, he has checked for cracks and found nothing. I am also now suffering from much more significant cold sensitivity than I did before (before it would go away within 4-6 seconds, now it takes about 10-12 seconds to fully subside). I have spoken to two dentists over the phone (no longer trust my primary dentist).

Here is what they tell me

1. I could have a small crack that is invisible to dentists using loops or Xrays.

2. Due to the unique way in which the pain is manifesting (both when pressure is put on the filling, but also when releasing this pressure), a dentist that I called across the country told me that it would be poor bonding of the composite filling. It could have bonded well at first, but essentially he argues that bonded seal on the floor of the prepared tooth, which is closest to the nerve, could have come undone and can be pulled out leaving a void. This dentist also said that "potentially" an amalgam filling may solve the problem (if it is not pulpitis).

3. Due to the increase in temperature sensitivity, I am hearing that I may have pulpitis, which may require a root canal.

I am absolutely furious with my dentist right now and with dentistry in general! How could it be that something as simple as a god damn filling is baffling 2 different dentists across the United States! No one seems to know what the hell is going on, it seems like dentists are basically just guessing at this point, which is driving me crazy!

I can't focus on anything but my teeth, I'm beginning to fail my graduate school coursework because I spend almost 4 hours a day looking up dental problems and reading dentistry journals trying madly to figure out why this is happening. I should be studying for my comprehensive exams right now, but I'm on (what I assume) is a UK based dental fear forum trying to find answers.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Re: I have gone to 2 dentists, spoken with 4, no one can figure out why my composite fillings hurt

No 2 sounds most likely to me, with No 3 following on from it. No 1 sounds least likely but still possible. I'd take the filling out, put in a sedative dressing for a couple of weeks then re-evaluate it. If it gets better then it was No 2...

Hope you get it sorted soon.

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
Re: I have gone to 2 dentists, spoken with 4, no one can figure out why my composite fillings hurt

Dentistry isn't simple and diagnosis can be most difficult at times.

M

MountainMama

Have you been to an endodontist, or has any dentist tested it for irreversible pulpitis?

Did they test with percussion or endo ice?

I have recently gone through the same thing, although I ended up with a root canal (failed) on one side and I am getting an extraction on the other. Both of mine show perfect x rays and two different dentists and an endodontist can't figure out why the root canal failed, or why my other molar won't stop hurting and now has irreversible pulpitis. The endodontist said they must have hairline fractures that are tiny.

A

alazar14

No 2 sounds most likely to me, with No 3 following on from it. No 1 sounds least likely but still possible. I'd take the filling out, put in a sedative dressing for a couple of weeks then re-evaluate it. If it gets better then it was No 2...

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thank you for your reply. I am going back to my dentist (though at this point I really doubt his expertise on this matter) for a second examination.

Part of the problem can also be the fact that I am really touching that tooth A LOT with my tongue multiple times a day. I notice when I do this all day the cold sensitivity gets much worse than how it is when I first wake up in the morning.

There may be some degree of pulpitis, but I hope its reversible. I assume if the pain goes away when I leave the tooth alone, that's probably a good sign. The fact that it is taking longer for cold sensitivity go go away though (10-12 seconds vs. what used to take 4-6 seconds) is probably a bad sign.

Thanks.