• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I HAVE to find a toothpaste with no taste or smell.

P

Poppy1234

taking a break from the forum
I'm really struggling with this.
I just CAN'T find one without a repulsive smell and taste with fluoride that cares for gums.
I will order something from abroad if anyone can recommend me something that pref isn't £15 a tube.....

I have never been able to use it (I've tried) and have a violent reaction to it. I basically throw up if I so much as go in a bathroom where it's been used.
I have got by so far by cleaning my teeth loads to keep decay at bay.
But now gum disease is rearing its ugly head, and that's a whole new ball game.
I don't have it badly. My dentist hasn't prescribed anything. But he said I WILL lose all my teeth if I don't use toothpaste.
This is really getting to me now.
He said try Corsodyl, but I have never in my life tasted anything so utterly revolting.
Duraphat cost me £14, but is even worse.

Having tried this for 3 days, I've been off work for 3 days just throwing up and haven't eaten anything for 3 days either, as I feel so sick, and it makes all food taste like acidic metal, so I can't eat anything.
I'm an athlete and need my food, so this just can't go on, so there's NO WAY I can put this evil stuff near my mouth again.

I'm spending 3 hours a day scrubbing my mouth out with a soapy dishcloth just to get the taste out of my mouth after I've used it.
I can't live like that forever. Setting aside 1.5 hours morning and evening scrubbing the taste of this crap out of my mouth. Though nothing will get rid of the taste.

Being sick is bad for your teeth anyway, so this can't go on.
No dentist understands. They think I'm just being awkward.
In a desperate attempt to get my new dentist to understand, I asked him how he'd feel if I told him he had to clean his teeth with dog crap twice a day for the rest of his life. Because that's how bad toothpaste is to me.

I'm going to lose my teeth one day if I don't find something without smell or taste.
PLEASE someone find me something I can use.
I feel so sick and ill. I just can't get away from the taste and smell of this stuff and can never put it near my mouth again.
I've tried a few kinds of toothpaste over the years and I always have this reaction. I can't do this any more.

Thankyou. xxx :)

Last edited:
Have you tried brushing your teeth with plain baking soda? And then rinsing with salt water. That's the "original" toothpaste and mouthwash.

Have you tried brushing your teeth with plain baking soda? And then rinsing with salt water. That's the "original" toothpaste and mouthwash.

Hiya,
I've used bicarbonate of soda for years. I'm very happy with that as it keeps my teeth quite white.
But it's no protection for decay and gum disease, which is what I need.

I was reading a periodontist's website that actually recommended unscented clorox bleach- 1/2 teaspoon per 1000cc's of water for use in a waterpik?

I use a waterpik to clean around my orthotic, no way to floss, seems to work well.

I have tried mouth washes/rinses, but they are even more repulsive than toothpastes! Even the ones that say "original" flavour.
They have an incredibly strong taste and smell and make me vomit.
I just don't want the taste of ANYTHING in my mouth!
The fact these products leave the taste and stench in your mouth horrifies me. It's like I can't escape it!

So should I stop using bicarbonate of soda? (Never used baking soda. That's not the same thing I don't think)
I've used it for 20 years and really like the non taste and how it whitens well.
I told my dentist I used it and he said it was fine.
Is it bad then? Too abrasive?

The kids toothpastes don't have enough fluoride for adults. The bubble gum stuff would knock me sick too. I really want something with NO taste!
Tom's of Maine do non mint, but it has no fluoride!
And the Green company do too..but again, no fluoride.

But...........I have found this....Colgate Citrus.

Can't believe it. I have looked for YEARS and check ebay regularly.
This wasn't there on ebay yesterday, but appeared today!
I've ordered 12 tubes.....I hope it's not just as disgusting as the mint stuff!
I could tolerate lemon or citrus if it really was those flavours and not strong.

There's Crest Citrus on ebay.....£15 a tube! :o
So I emailed Crest asking where I could buy it, and they said there's no such product!!
So if even the company themselves don't know..................:(

Last edited by a moderator:
A good anti bacterial rinse that has absolutely no taste (unless you decide to add the mint flavor tube) is CloSys. It's chlorine dioxide and recommended to me by a dentist. Besides their website and the dentist office the only place I've found it is Walgreen's. I add it to my waterpik and rinse with it. refreshing but no taste.

A good anti bacterial rinse that has absolutely no taste (unless you decide to add the mint flavor tube) is CloSys. It's chlorine dioxide and recommended to me by a dentist. Besides their website and the dentist office the only place I've found it is Walgreen's. I add it to my waterpik and rinse with it. refreshing but no taste.

That doesn't seem to be available here. I'm in the UK.
Does it have fluoride in??
Thanks. x

Sensodyne Total new 'fresh' flavour doesn't taste of anything very much.

Sensodyne Total new 'fresh' flavour doesn't taste of anything very much.

Does it stink? Leave an after taste?? What does it taste of exactly? Is it strong?

;D xx

I don't know for sure it is on UK market as I am not in UK but no the flavour is 'fresh' and it really is the least tasting toothpaste ever....no tingly feeling..it's almost as if you used just water...worth a try...use a very small amount as well you don't have to plaster it on like they do in toothpaste adverts lol. If you did like it, it would also help your sensitivity issues. I'm not sure what the flavour is supposed to be..but it's not what I'd call minty.

I don't know for sure it is on UK market as I am not in UK but no the flavour is 'fresh' and it really is the least tasting toothpaste ever....no tingly feeling..it's almost as if you used just water...worth a try...use a very small amount as well you don't have to plaster it on like they do in toothpaste adverts lol. If you did like it, it would also help your sensitivity issues. I'm not sure what the flavour is supposed to be..but it's not what I'd call minty.

;D ;D ;D
I'm still recovering from the Corsodyl ordeal....I was traumatised by it...
Am I a whimp..?? :shame: :shame:
I swear I can still taste it. But I've not been sick today and I've lost 6 pounds, as I've not been able to eat!
Never mind the Atkins diet. Just put that evil stuff in your gob and you won't eat for 4 days...

Corsodyl is vile I would agree...;)

Corsodyl is vile I would agree...;)

It should carry a warning..."you will need to chew a soapy dishcloth for 3 days after using this product as the taste is so foul".
:cry: :cry: :mad:

Unfortunately saw two different 'sensodyne total fresh' today...the one I find mild is the green one...think the blue one maybe a gel version. It seems it is supposed to be mint flavour (like all adult toothpaste out there for some reason) but I find it fairly non-descript...I prefer more taste tbh.

Unfortunately saw two different 'sensodyne total fresh' today...the one I find mild is the green one...think the blue one maybe a gel version. It seems it is supposed to be mint flavour (like all adult toothpaste out there for some reason) but I find it fairly non-descript...I prefer more taste tbh.

I prefer NO NO NO taste....YUCK..... :sick: :sick: :sick:

Bummer...I finally found some citrus fluoride toothpaste from America and ordered 12 large tubes!
Now they say the sell buy date is March 2011.
That's a lot to use in 6 months....
Would the fluoride be ineffective after this date? Or would it be ok for, say, another 6 months after sell buy date if unopened?

What kind of Fluoride? Stannous Fluoride has a short date, other kinds are more stable and would last years past the cut off...

i tried the new colgate pro sensative and didn't think it tasted of much!!

What kind of Fluoride? Stannous Fluoride has a short date, other kinds are more stable and would last years past the cut off...

Dunno what kind! It's not arrived yet.
Colgate citrus from America.....
Cheers Gordon. ;D

i tried the new colgate pro sensative and didn't think it tasted of much!!

Not 'orrible mint then? Oh to find one that tastes of NOTHING at all!!!!!
Cheers. ;D

Back