• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have to have dentures at 30 because my phobia is so severe

M

Mandababii30

I am terrified of the dentist.. like an unusual amount. I conquered my fear after not going for 10 years and I couldn't make it through the xrays even without shaking and crying uncontrollably. I have so much work that needs done that my dentist has decided on a full top extraction and denture ????? please someone share a success story with this. I am 30!!! Heartbroken and ashamed. If anyone has had dentures before and after photos are appreciated especially for top dentures. Please give me hope. This month is going to be a hard and scary process

Hi Mandababi30,
I am so sorry that you did not get the news that you had hoped for. Well done for seeing a dentist to get things sorted. I know there have been some denture success stories on here...I will see if I can find and link them for you. There are many positives to getting dentures in that Pain/infection will be eliminated and you may find that you actually like the aesthetics of them. It sounds like the consultation was very difficult for you but it may be worthwhile to get a second opinion as that is such a radical treatment decision given your age. Something to think about...

:welcome:
Hello Mandababi30

I second everything Kitkat said, some very good advice. It is a huge step you are doing and even to go in the first place having anxiety. Its a hard and scary step to take. One that takes alot of courage. I would get a second opinion just because its a big step.

I can tell you from someone who as well got dentures at 30. My teeth were quite bad when I walked into the first dentist that was kind to me at the age of 30 . She gained my trust over a few appts then told me the news that best thing would be to get bottom partial. Granted it was only a partial but taking out 5 front bottom teeth was huge . I can say it was the healthiest decision I could have made. and it gave me back a little confidence and dignity as my prior teeth I lost were just awful :(.

Also. it may be a temporary solution as there are so many options out there with implants you may be able to do in the future.. I know for me dentures were the first step toward dental health and now years later I am doing implants there due to technology or an opportunity I never saw coming years down the road.

Just want to encourage you to take one step at a time to the best, healthiest and most compassionate choice for yourself. one you will feel at peace with even though its hard. You can do this! You had the strength to go, and to write on here and we are behind you !! and here to vent ..

:grouphug:

Hi Mandababi30,
I am so sorry that you did not get the news that you had hoped for. Well done for seeing a dentist to get things sorted. I know there have been some denture success stories on here...I will see if I can find and link them for you. There are many positives to getting dentures in that Pain/infection will be eliminated and you may find that you actually like the aesthetics of them. It sounds like the consultation was very difficult for you but it may be worthwhile to get a second opinion as that is such a radical treatment decision given your age. Something to think about...

Thank you for your words. I have been trying to see the positive and I think that will help alot. You are right, I will enjoy the aesthetics and the no hassle of having to continuously go back and forth to the dentist. I am nervous for sure but I am also looking forward to smiling again.

:welcome:
Hello Mandababi30

I second everything Kitkat said, some very good advice. It is a huge step you are doing and even to go in the first place having anxiety. Its a hard and scary step to take. One that takes alot of courage. I would get a second opinion just because its a big step.

I can tell you from someone who as well got dentures at 30. My teeth were quite bad when I walked into the first dentist that was kind to me at the age of 30 . She gained my trust over a few appts then told me the news that best thing would be to get bottom partial. Granted it was only a partial but taking out 5 front bottom teeth was huge . I can say it was the healthiest decision I could have made. and it gave me back a little confidence and dignity as my prior teeth I lost were just awful :(.

Also. it may be a temporary solution as there are so many options out there with implants you may be able to do in the future.. I know for me dentures were the first step toward dental health and now years later I am doing implants there due to technology or an opportunity I never saw coming years down the road.

Just want to encourage you to take one step at a time to the best, healthiest and most compassionate choice for yourself. one you will feel at peace with even though its hard. You can do this! You had the strength to go, and to write on here and we are behind you !! and here to vent ..

:grouphug:

Thanks for your response and sharing your journey. I have hope knowing I am not alone and have support within this group. Knowing others have also had to endure this and come out happier and healthier has really given me hope

... I have so much work that needs done that my dentist has decided on a full top extraction and denture ?????

Mandababii30, my heart goes to you, it sounds like you have a lot to cope with. I see how scary this is.
There is not much I could add, but the statement above made me wonder a bit whether you have been involved in the decision process and whether there have been other options discussed? Could be that you just posted a brief summary, but wanted to check..

Mandababii30, my heart goes to you, it sounds like you have a lot to cope with. I see how scary this is.
There is not much I could add, but the statement above made me wonder a bit whether you have been involved in the decision process and whether there have been other options discussed? Could be that you just posted a brief summary, but wanted to check..

Thank you for asking. Yes I had options but because of of my fears as well as finances I cant fix each tooth. Each has multiple cavities and even root canals. I am coming to terms with this after seeing Youtubers who have done this at a young age as well as success stories I have read. More than anything I just want a confident , beautiful smile. I am a mommy , a waitress and a happy person in general so a smile is an absolute must for me

Ok, that's relieving to read. I would find it a bummer if you wouldn't be able to get it fixed due to anxiety, as everyone deserves a good care and there are many ways to get past or around the dental fear, but I definitely see the financial part in getting treatment and that one can be overwhelming up to impossible.
From working in a dental practice I can tell that no matter how scary the idea of dentures is for you right now, once you got past the adjustment period, nobody will be able to tell that you have a denture and you will be happy to be able to smile again.

Ok, that's relieving to read. I would find it a bummer if you wouldn't be able to get it fixed due to anxiety, as everyone deserves a good care and there are many ways to get past or around the dental fear, but I definitely see the financial part in getting treatment and that one can be overwhelming up to impossible.
From working in a dental practice I can tell that no matter how scary the idea of dentures is for you right now, once you got past the adjustment period, nobody will be able to tell that you have a denture and you will be happy to be able to smile again.
I think that is def a huge fear. I dont want people to judge me and be able to tell my beautiful smile isn't mine ? all though I'll work hard to get that smile and overcome alot of fears and pain to do so , I dont want it to look unnatural

it may be worthwhile to get a second opinion as that is such a radical treatment decision given your age. Something to think about...
I agree with that. It is a big step and other dentists might offer you a different treatment plan.

Dentures are certainly not the end of the world - I got mine at 25. And I'm 30 now and doing fine. That said, there are long-term drawbacks, so seeking a second opinion can be for the best - only if the other option is actually possible. For some people the cost and trauma of the extensive treatment makes it not the best. For instance, I had some teeth that could be "saved", but because of my trauma, and because of the extra work it would be, my dentist advised me against it, but also they gave me my options and let me know what to expect for either route. So make sure you're getting that info.

Are you on Facebook? There’s multiple groups for dentures on there, even one called “Dentures at a young age” you will find a lot of advice, information, and most importantly support no matter what route you take.

Dr Daniel made an interesting point to consider a different approach. I realize that many young people still get dentures today but its not something I see or a procedure I perform at my office so I'm not a good one to advise on this. In the last six years I think I've put one person in a traditional denture. Everyone either has most all their teeth or get implants. Sometime keeping a couple of teeth or even the roots can help quit a bit in retention or keeping the bone longer.

Are you on Facebook? There’s multiple groups for dentures on there, even one called “Dentures at a young age” you will find a lot of advice, information, and most importantly support no matter what route you take.
Be careful about joining fb groups there's one particularly nasty one.