• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I haven't been to the dentist in 27 years!

E

Ed209

I'm 36 years of age, nearing the big 4-0, and well aware that I need to go to the dentist soon as the last time I went I was 9 years of age!

When I went when I was a kid, it was a pretty bad experience. I didn't, and still don't, like things been poked into my mouth, so I remember vomiting in the surgery when the dentist was doing his examination.

Recently, I've been trying to psyche myself up to make an appointment and I'm on the verge of taking the plunge. The fear is still there though and although I don't smoke, eat sugary foods/drinks and brush 3 times a day, I'm dreading the dentist's verdict on the state of my teeth.

I've never had toothaches or anything in my adult life, and the only discomfort I ever felt was when my wisdom teeth were coming down. I reckon my teeth, are "ok" but i just need to get over this fear.

Help me please!:)

By the way, great site.

Ed.

:welcome:

You'll find that as you frequent here more and read through some of the journals that your fear may drastically subside! I know it worked for me atleast!

sorry i dont have much more to say as its 5:23am and i still havent been to sleep, but good luck and i hope that when you get around to the dentist that all goes well!

Ed please do it! Anyway you can and you can.

I'm 54 and had an awful experience at 7 years old and several more in my teens and 20's. And then I just stopped going and the fear took over for 20+ years. My teeth too were good and then ok for a long time, so it was easy to think it doesn't matter, then all of a sudden they started to go downhill I had pain then came infections. Then DIY dentistry which was the worst thing I ever did.

I'm still completely phobic I'll never be comfortable going to the dentist but I went for an appointment 10 days ago something I thought I could never do again and honestly I can tell you dentistry really has moved on it'll be nothing like it was when you were a child. Just tell them exactly how you feel when you book the appointment.

Good luck keep in touch let us know how it goes

rubyshoes

It sounds like you have nothing to worry about! You must have good teeth and you would probably know if there was a major problem.
I just went to the dentist for the first time in a couple of decades after not taking very good care of my teeth. The treatment needed is a lot less than expected.
I think it is impressive that you have never had any problems. The dentist will think so too!

Hi Ed
Being phobisc, I'm coming towards the end of my course of treatment, not having been for 30 or so years!

I was amazed at how much things have changed in that time - dentit's attitude and also the technology.

It took me a while to make my first appt (which I did by email!) but haven't regretted it.

I'm still nervous of course, but trust me, you'll be fine!

Thanks to everyone for the replies, they've been really helpful.

I'm really geared-up for it now.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I've done it!!!!!!!

Just back.Really nice people and they said my teeth were ok for 27 years of not going. She did a cleaning and I need two fillings. I've also made an appointment with the orthodontist to straighten my teeth out.

My advice to everyone is this:

JUST BLOODY DO IT!!!!!!

Hi Ed

Well done!

I hadn't been for 30 years and like you was amazed at how much things have changed. After my initial treatment, which I won't bore you with, I had an appointment with the orthodontist and because of my bad bite and crooked teeth he suggested I have braces. I did have an initial panic but decided to give it a go, after all if teenagers can have them with no fuss then surely I could!!
I have had them now for a year and all being well they should be off by next March but again what a positive experience (have written all about it on here)

Good luck and let us know how it goes ...........

:)

Congrats :jump::party: Maybe you'd like to add them to the Dentistfinder once you've completed treatment. Think we are a bit thin on the ground for recommendations in Spain.

Back